Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
I built an electricity generating windmill from a bike and a car alternator.

here's a closeup so that you can see where the alternator is actually mounted.

The only money I spent on this project was $15 for the belt. The rest I scrounged from friends and family. The blades are 5'2" long and the center is about 20' in the air. I'm not sure the exact output of power, but it works when the wind is blowing strong enough, and that's all that I really care about. I plan on building a much better one with a low rpm alternator using rare earth magnets and nice sturdy wood blades next summer when I'm off from college. If you want to check out the build process/more pictures then you can see it at http://randumbint.wordpress.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

TheChipmunk posted:

Cool windmill - thats slick. Do you pump the power into batteries? Or do you use the power somehow?

The alternator won't work unless its hooked up to a battery. I just have a cheap power inverter hooked up to the battery which makes it into AC power.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Spike McAwesome posted:

Note to self: When painting a bedroom, lay something over the carpet so if the paint spills, it's no big deal.

So... anyone want to help us install some hardwood flooring later this year?

To be fair, a layer or two of newspaper would've done nothing to stop all that paint.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

RealKyleH posted:

How much electricity does it generate? What can you run regularly off it?
Well, it's charged a near dead marine battery twice. I have a cheap power inverter on it now that is charging up small electronic devices I own and my batteries for my Ryobi tool kit.

mcsuede posted:

Who knew, plastic drop cloth isn't just a high margin item!

Pyre: Are you using the windmill for anything specific or was it just a project for kicks/learning?

This started out as a small summer boredom project but now because of the relative ease of construction and success of this windmill I plan on building a much larger one with 8' wooden blades that uses a low rpm alternator like this.

Due to the flimsy nature of the coil stock blades I have on it now and a loose connection to the battery, the alternator shut off and in a high wind the blades spun too quickly, flexed, and hit the pole. So now I have to go out and bend some new ones with the metal brake. This time I'll be pop riveting an angled piece on the back to give it more support as well.

edit: Also, if you want to start investing in alternate energies, it would probably be easier to just buy solar panels, but you don't get to see them moving and generating power like you do the windmill.

PyrE fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 13, 2008

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

MarshallX posted:

Pretty much finished...god so much work.

I ended up milling my own transition trim out of some scrap walnut I had laying around because 39.99 for a 3' strip of stained red oak was retarded to me.

Looks great!

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

apatite posted:

Made this lamp the other day

gently caress me, that looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Jadus posted:

That looks incredible! I'm going to be re-doing the roof on my garage, I wonder if these things can handle a Canadian winter?

I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and they do fine. They are energy Star rated and much, much better than skylights.