Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Sober McNulty posted:

Sorry for the delay, I was at a stand still since I was waiting for parts. But most of my control panel parts came in.

After drilling all the holes in the MDF and Lexan I then had to route the bottom of the it to accommodate the trackball and joysticks. As I said before i've never used a power tool in my life so a router is a whole new world for me as you can tell by my awesome route job here. It really didn't have to be neat just large enough to get the trackball in.

Then came the wiring.....Let me stop here and tell you that if you ever plan to build something like this, buy a GOOD crimper. It will save HUGE amounts of time. I had to learn this the hard way by using a pair of needle nose to strip and crimp in the beginning. Here it is all wired up, still need to do a bit of cable management but everything works.

Closed and looking real pretty.

I also added the rest of the t molding to the control panel and here is where I stand so far.

I still need to
  • Figure out a hinge system for the control panel, right now it just sits on top of the box.
  • Attach the marquee LED's
  • Get artwork for the marquee, install the marquee lexan, and install the marquee retainer
  • Install the monitor bezel and glass to the monitor frame.
  • Get artwork for the sides.
  • Properly mount and cable manage the computer inside the arcade.

I've always wondered how difficult the wiring portion is for these arcade cabinets. Is there documentation to handle all of this? How does it wire up to the PC (assuming you have pc for mame stuff)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Sober McNulty posted:

It's really not that difficult. There are a couple different types of switches you can use leaf and micro. The most popular is micro and they look like this.

They attach to the bottom of each button like this.

Each button and joystick is individually wired to a controller interface that looks like this.

The ground of every button doesn't need to be individually wired to the interface so you can daisy chain all off them together. Then, depending on the type of interface you have, it connects to your computer via usb or ps2 cable. You're computer see's the buttons and joystick as a keyboard so all that is left is to map your buttons to the correct keyboard key with the controllers interface. Sounds a lot harder than it is really. Here's an AWESOME diagram of how its done.

Holy crap that's a whole lot simpler that I originally thought. I thought the controller was a home rolled breadboard type thing. Welp. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the buttons and controller run you?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I had a box of cranes in the closet so decided to string them up with yarn and put them in a shadowbox. I was surprised that I could actually thread a normal needle with yarn which is what I used to get the yarn through the cranes. I used a staple gun to hold the yarn down on bottom and top of box. Then I covered the staples with black paint to hide them. Overall it took about 2 to 3 hours to finish, but that included a lot of planning and measuring.

I will probably make another and it should only take an hour. This is assuming I don't have to fold more cranes (120 in total). If I did decide to go with another pattern of paper or ran out, it only takes maybe a minute per crane to fold. Super happy with the outcome!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Booger Presley posted:

I don't know of cranes but this poo poo is amazing. Drive on creative goon...

https://www.origamiway.com/origami-crane.shtml

These are the cranes. I fold mine slightly differently, but everyone folds differently anyway.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
So my daughter and I were browsing the craft book section of Barnes and Noble and came across the goofiest book I've ever seen: A book about how to knit birds: https://www.amazon.com/Carlos-Field-Guide-Knitted-Birds/dp/1570768234 We left the store but I ended up going back and getting it because I like birds and I guess I could learn how to knit in the process. Took a one hour lesson from a woman who runs a yarn shop in town and dove right into knitting in the round and came out with this bad rear end janky bird. (you can tell he is badass because of the three X's on the chest) All in all, took about 15-20 hours of knitting because I'm slow as piss and also because this book wants you to do all sorts of weird poo poo I had to constantly google. Then I had to learn to crochet to do the beak... This is on top of the month of trial and error in basic knitting techniques and constantly going back to the yarn shop to ask the woman if I was loving it up.

I've done all sorts of arts and crafts over the years, but knitting has definitely been the hardest thing I've ever done.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Jesus Christ wtf. I just threw away all my needles and yarn.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

InsertPotPun posted:

ok. he is really hard to take a good photo of so i apologize if these are too blurry.

he's fuzzy so the camera couldn't focus

the big black felt coat doesn't help

felt and needle felted wool and sewing and pipe cleaners and clay make a very dapper young frog about town.

I want one.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

InsertPotPun posted:

how can i contact you?

My username at gmail dot com :)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice