Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Character pieces were as follows - A capped pyramid, A book (lawf & Ordinancef of Ankh & Morpork), A witches hat, a Dwarves Helmet, an old boot (Bugrit!) and the luggage.

That's great. I bet everyone wants to be the luggage, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug
I'm making an RC sub which will hopefully be able to jump out of the water.

So far I've finished most of the hull, now working on the internals.

There's a few more pictures on my terrible blog.
http://akhenthot.blogspot.com/

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

God drat man, that is cool as hell.

And judging by this :black101: video you posted on there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Bhq-4Oqrs

Even if the sub doesn't work as planned, you'll be able to sell replicas as a "stirring with authority" appliance in specialty kitchen stores.

Thanks, glad to hear it doesn't sound like an entirely pointless exercise in over-engineering. And yes, it'd make a mighty hand mixer. The motor is good for a kilowatt - figured I'd overshoot rather than undershoot.

greenman100 posted:

Did you design this from scratch?

Would you share the plans?

Yes and yes. Although the model you see there lacks a lot of detail, such as machining tolerances, threads, materials etc etc. I make that stuff up as I go. There's also a few features I haven't designed yet. My plan was to make a thread about it when I'm done. I work so amazingly slow I really couldn't bring myself to do it now, because that thread would end up reading like the Necronomicon.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

What are you doing for the stuff box? I'm curious, because I still need a satisfactory drive mechanism for a similar (although definitely differently-purposed) project.

I work in the development of subsea stuff, and picked up some very nice u-seals we weren't going to use. (Fiber reinforced teflon with a stainless steel spring) They're definitely not rated for the kind of rotational speeds I'll be putting them through, but I don't care if they don't last very long. That's just the driveshaft though. The fin shafts will be simple o-rings.

There's a lot of different seals that can be used for bulkheads, it all depends on pressure, rotational speed and lifetime. I'm impressed with what can be done for instance with a simple o-ring energised seal ring made from teflon+graphite.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

henne posted:

Who do you get your seals from? We've been doing some work with small high pressure hydraulic stuff and our current seal guys (PFI) have passed on trying to make the seals for the newest revision of the project. PTFE seals with SS springs.

U-seals and such from Trelleborg. O-rings from DuPont or Bushak/Shamban. We make our own seal rings and backup-rings to go with the o-rings. PTFE25C, POM or PEEK, mostly.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

I've more or less completed my rc submarine/torpedo thingy that I posted about some pages ago. It's a fierce little beast! Couple more pictures on the blog:
http://akhenthot.blogspot.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

I had a similar bow. You're right that the camo is a water transfer print. I had it sandblasted and just kept the matte aluminium look. Was really nice. No other advice to give as I'm no painter guy either.