Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

The Yellow Ant posted:

I just finished painting the minis for a Dungeons & Dragons game I'm playing in.

I've been giving a lot of thought to seeing if people who are into figurine-based D&D games would ever be into my welded figurines. I've got a few things that seem applicable at the moment, but I custom make everything, I could build to spec.

Is there a market for them in the gaming industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

SKeefe posted:

This used to be a screened porch, now it's a little office.

That looks great! I wonder, however, if those huge windows are going to turn that office into a sun room, such that it'll be intolerably hot during the summer. You may want blinds/curtains at some point...

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

nonentity posted:

A 5 watt 8 ohm speaker, really keeps good bass notes.

Per the little-gem website, to increase the quality of the low end, replacing the 220uF cap with something a little larger may be a good bet if you can fit it into your enclosure.

I stuffed mine into a speaker box from an old stereo.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

nonentity posted:

Awesome! That's exactly what I was wondering... how big can I go?
I have a whole box of harvested capacitors, and some pretty large...

I'm not sure, really. But as long as you're working from a breadboard, you can just swap them in and out until the quality drops too low. Experiment and record, and let us all know!

I'd throw one together, but all of my electronics gear is in storage, so I don't have access to any of my tools or componants. Boo.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

nonentity posted:

I found a 5700 uF Cap that really works well on this speaker... I think I'll run with that.

Do you notice a big difference between 5700uF and, for example, 1000uF? I just wonder if there's a practical limit, after which it doesn't really change anything with the tone or quality.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

A coupe of years back, I picked up a DOD VGS50 effects board from someone in SA Mart. He wasn't sure if it worked, and I was willing to spend the $10 asking price to risk it. As it turned out, it just needed a new AC adapter. Also, the pedals were stomped on hard enough to crack the face of the board and trash the pedal mounts.

Being the "fix-it-cheap" kind of person I am when it comes to things like this, I decided to tackle it the only way that makes sense to me. Sheet metal and switches.

Before:

The effects were only accessible by spinning the wheel; pedals pretty much did nothing.

After:

Yes, I literally took a piece of sheet metal, drilled holes for some switches, and then bolted it straight down onto the effects board. I had to pull the pedals off the board first, of course. Also, the buttons are mounted high on the plate intentionally. The plate is sloped, so if the buttons were mounted any lower, they'd actually dig into the circuit board below them.

Button close-up.

Here's a shot of the bypass wires; I just wired the new switches to the spot on the circuit board where the existing tactile switches are located. There is no significance to the red/black wire. That was the last of my red/black wire, so I had to scavenge the white/black wire from an old 6v AC adapter that I wasn't using anymore.

And here's a video of me playing on my newly functional effects board with my electric violin. Nothing fancy; just throwing some sound out. And then my camera batteries died before I was done playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Un5dd3jP8

jovial_cynic fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 13, 2010

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

You might want to rethink that bro. Jeeps are pretty consistently the worst-in-class when consumer reports and suchlike consider them. Jeep is the only company with three cars in this list of 11 worst cars, for example.

But it's a JEEP, man.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Simple project. We have a big pantry, and it's decorated on the inside, so I figured I might as well make it easier to see the inside.

I cut the door in half and build a support in the door (it's mostly hollow), and then mounted some 5/8" MDF on top to form a sill. I also had to relocated the top hinge. In hindsight, I should have mounted the hinge higher. I assumed that evenly spacing the hinges (11" from the top and from the bottom) made sense, but when you're supporting weight, you really want the top hinge higher up on the door. It should be ok, but I end up having to relocate it.

Anyhow, I like it. My wife is thrilled. Win win.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I finally put together a 4x4 CNC machine. It's currently hooked up to a Dremel with an 1/8" bit, and it's cutting through some PVC-like plastic. This is just a test run to see if I could design and make something.

I made a key fob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QdbFP3t21A

Future plans involve building a router mount so I can cut through wood, and also a plasma-cutter mount so I can cut metal for my welded figurines.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I've been building different attachments for my CNC machine. Plasma cutter for sheet metal, dremel holder, router holder, etc. Laser cutter is next on my list, but I don't know much about laser options out there. I'm eager to hear about your setup!

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I made this thing because I play the violin and the mandolin (same string progression), and that's how I mentally write music. I'm useless on a keyboard, so when I want to compose music, it's been difficult. I figured that creating a MIDI controller that works like a violin would make it easier, so I took the time to figure out the code, figure out the wiring, and after a bunch of work, I made an actual product.

This is a handheld MIDI Violin/Mandolin controller that I've coded and assembled. I also designed the case and printed it as well.

Here's is a little video of the MIDI controller in action, playing through the Reaper DAW using virtual strings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9K-EJLtjC4

Fun fact - I made a small batch of them to recoop my costs, and they sold out within 48 hours. I guess I have to make more now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Very, very cool. :cool:

Thanks! I've had a blast with them, and I just had a request to have one tuned to a guitar. So... now I've got them set up to be able to play like pretty much any stringed instrument!