Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forestboy
Aug 30, 2005
My last mostly completed project is a 10 and a half foot skiff. (found at http://www.gsahv.pp.fi/skiff/skiff.htm )

I built it mainly as a precursor to a larger, more capable, prettier boat, namely Iain Oughtred's Elfyn. http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/details.asp?Name=Elfyn

But that second boat is still years away. Too many other projects to finish first.

Meanwhile there are still a few things to do on this one, such as paint the interior and the gunwales. The entire thing was built from 1/4" lauan exterior grade plywood. Not the best choice for strength or longevity, but more than adequate for this application. Paint is simply exterior grade semi-gloss acrylic. What the heck, the boat lives in the garage, it's easy enough to touch up the paint if it needs it.

That's from the second launching, which went rather well. I learned that I can't row well, and that a skeg would definitely help me move in a straight line, despite the designer's explicit instructions not to add one. It's on the list of things to do this spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forestboy
Aug 30, 2005

wormil posted:

I've been wanting to tackle a boat for a long time. How long did it take to build?

I started it sometime in May, launched it sometime in September. But there were lots of weeks when I didn't get anything done, and I took far longer than I should have with the epoxy. With a little more dedication (and maybe a helper) you could easily finish it in a month. The smaller version on his website would be faster still.