Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

jennyinstereo posted:

Your walls are incredibly amazing. My husband and I are planning on building a house and would love to have paneling like yours with chair rail, high baseboards, etc. Would you care to let us in on how you installed the paneling?

I will give you a hint, nowadays it isn't paneling! In a lot of homes we build now you just choose the height you want the paneling, mask it off and paint the top half your color and the bottom half white. The rest of the "paneling" is just mitered mdf trimboard nailed and adhered onto the wall to form the shadowboxing and some more moulding for the chair rail. It looks great and is pretty easy to install.

Mantels are the same way. Block it out with MDF and add trimboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

disco volante posted:

Last summer I built a TV stand by laminating strips of plywood end to end. The pieces were stacked vertically, with a large concrete top on which the television sat. The inside was hollow and virtually unusable (what with having a tv and a block of concrete on top). I brought it home this summer and set about refinishing it and making it better looking a more practical. It is now a much lighter color, the concrete top is gone, the edges have been rounded over, the inside smoothed over and painted flat black (for that 'all consuming black hole' look) and the box sits on its side for a better flowing look. I just finished painting the inside the other day, so here it is:

Thats awesome to. I have been wanting to do a coffee table with a stacked plywood top for a long time, but I need to get a table saw first to make the cuts. I think a lot of people go a long way to cover up the the signs that something is plywood, but I think it it looks awesome.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

zodwallop posted:

The project cost us somewhere around $200. Expensive for a beer pong table, but we wanted to make one ourselves though, and this is a lot nicer than just playing on someone's patio table.

How sturdy is the center split? While I don't play beer pong i would love to have a folding table that collapses that small but opens that large for art projects. I have one half that size right now that works, but that would be far more useful.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

EigenKet posted:

You could make it a lot sturdier by adding a couple of bars that can slide out and bridge the hinge. Like this:

The latches are just to keep the bars from sliding out when you carry it.

Yah I realize that. I just loved the simplicity that not having a locking mechanism would bring, and thought there might be a chance that the thickness of the trim at the joints might have added enough stability that it would be fine on its own.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

PipeRifle posted:

I decided to turn an airsoft shotgun into a replica of the shotgun from Bioshock.

This makes me wish I had taken pictures of my quickly constructed little sister syringe from last year. I recently tore it apart to fix a leak in the adam bottle, and to improve the handle assembly which I had forgone in my rush to complete it, but it turned out drat good. I got a lot of compliments on it. I made it to adult scale too, so the thing was pretty long and intimidating.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

PipeRifle posted:

Yah, Mine was all pvc, and I used a mason jar as the adam container so it was huge. I did some scale measurements and it was obviously not 1-1 or anything, but it looked pretty drat close compared to most of the ones I had seen as far as scaling up goes. The down side is that it confirmed what I always thought; little sisters must have some beefy forearms because holding anything that top heavy takes a lot of effort. Even after I counterweighted the PVC the jar still wanted to torque the hell out of my hand.

Did yours glow? I sealed off a ultra bright LED flashlight in the base of mine with a lot of teflon tape and a ton of silicon caulc, and created this weird double helix tissue looking thing to float through the to make the jar more interesting. Looked creepy as hell.

It was also like 3 feet long which made it a bitch to carry. I had to take the needle out eventually. I am using it again this year but remaking the handle assembly and adding a bunch of details to jazz it up a bit.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Yah I had seen the volpin props one, and it was actually what made me decide to scale up from just getting a gas pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Alterian posted:

I hope this is a good thread to ask because I really don't want to start a new one. My kitchen has not a lot of cabinet or counter space. I've got the go ahead from my husband to turn the nook we have our kitchen table in into extra kitchen room with our table in another part of the room. I'm looking for cheap ideas for either low shelves with counter space on top, closed pantry shelves, hutches/cupboards. I really don't want to spend a lot of money doing this. I was looking at ikea, but for the space that could be used, it would start to reach the thousands of dollars. I'm pretty handy and can finish / restore stuff if I can get a good deal on it. I just don't want it to look too trashy or spend a lot of money. I can take photos of the area tonight.

Edit: Just remembered I had a photo on line already from when we were looking at the house. This is what it looked like when we were looking at it to buy

The area I want to turn into part of the kitchen is where the dinning room table is. I'll take a photo of what it looks like now to show how ridiculously cluttered it is with all of our stuff. We cook a lot so we have a lot of cooking things.

I just have to say, your kitchen has plenty of cabinet space. More than any place I have lived in. That said more storage is always better.

Cabinets, even cheap ones, are just expensive. I just bought two more cabinets for my apartment because the space here is abysmal, I love the location but the owner went so cheap on the cabinetry it is embarrassing. I looked around and you really can't do much better than Ikea. If that is out of your budget I would consider, if you have any building skills, potentially walling off that small inlet, throwing some doors on, and just making it a couple of large pantries. The cost of the materials will be below anything else you could do. Really anything involving actual cabinets is going to get pricey, and any other DIY will most likely be far more complicated than cutting some 2x4 to build out that wall a bit, and adding some cheap shelves and simple doors. Seriously, I think the hollow core bedroom doors in my place cost less than a pair of kitchen cabinet doors.