Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I spent about $35 on a real japanese backsaw, and once you get used to them, they are great. You don't lean into it/put any weight on it at all - the saw does it all on its own. Flipside is I now need to make a bench hook that hangs off the backside of my workbench, so the pull stroke pulls it against the fence, instead of a traditional push fence/bench hook.

Of all my hand tools, including my expensive planes, that little backsaw is my favorite. Thing cuts like a drat laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Well they are both good to have.

If you were to push a blade built like a japanese saw, it would buckle and get all squirrly - but because you pull them, they remain very true. I cut dovetails with them. Some people prefer the push saws, the gentlemen I am semi apprenticing under is a big fan of them, but he still reaches for his western backsaw to cut the dovetails.

Plus, about 30$ for a japanese saw, and how much for a backsaw? Yeah.