Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NoSoup4U posted:

did something so extreme and unreal that I choose to move out of that house, leave
There is a story begging to be told here.

That looks really good. I need to learn to TIG. One of the difficulties of working with and especially welding aluminum is that aluminum welds crack like no other metal. They are very very prone to developing stress cracks over heavy use (especially vibrations, like something bouncing along behind a bike), which very quickly lead to bigger cracks, which quickly lead to broken things. Your welds have to be perfect to avoid it, and even then, it is nowhere near as strong as steel. If you ever decide to use it alot again, you might try making all the high stress points (hitch, axles, etc.) out of steel, and then bolting them to the aluminum frame so you get the strength of the steel with the light weight of the aluminum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Edit: My numbers were wrong. I think the bottom two get beveled at 58 degrees and the top two at 32 degrees which is the opposite of what I first said, but now I’ve confused myself. Draw it full scale and copy the bevels onto the work and you’re much less likely to make a mistake.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 18, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Probably, but i'm not trusting it.

Less than 10 minutes to touch 2 opposite corners, let them arc, move the clamps, re-wet the center, and then arc it again. It takes a few minutes for the burn to meet and form the arc from positive to ground. Distance of the leads will affect the amount of time and how wet the wood is will effect how much burn vs branching. There is a lot of different things you can do to effect the pattern but you will never end up with 2 identical pieces which is what makes them so interesting to me.
How much control do you really have over the pattern? Is the burn real deeply charred like it would try and flake off with much handling? Is there a name for the process? My lumberyard has some samples of that recently and it looked neat.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Without a table saw it’s going to be kind of a pain to get it exactly right, but basically cut a strip slightly wider than 3/8” and plane/sand it flush. Alternatively, you could ignore it and glue and nail a piece of solid wood 1x2 or some sort of molding/trim on the front to cover it. This also has the advantage that solid wood will wear a little bit better on the corner/edge than MDF and let you dress it up a little if you want.

Looks good in any case and it’ll look great painted. Not only does MDF produce a ton of dust because it is a bunch of dust glued together (maybe that’s what all that dust to dust stuff is about?) all the glue in it has a pretty substantial dulling effect on cutting tools like router bits and sawblades.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Random screw related trivia-Wood screws were fairly crudely made by hand until c.1815 when some machine made screws appear, but the early machine made screws were made without points. Around 1850 someone invented a machine to make wood screws with threaded points. Those have the standard ever since, but it means screws without points helps date furniture to the first half of the 19th century, and handmade screws usually means it's 18th century/early 19th.

So if you need to cut a screw off, people had to basically do that for 50 years-just drill a pilot hole. Alternatively, screw the screw in (but not all the way through the wood), back it out, cut it off, and screw it back in.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ghostnuke posted:

Might not be the right place for this but... I'm looking for a gear motor for a project. I need it to run between 100 and 200 rpm and have greater than 65 inch-lbs of torque, and also not cost a billion dollars.

Anyone have sources for this kind of thing? I'm out of my element on this one.
You might try the cnc thread or the metalworking thread-both have lots of real engineers and machinists and such in them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558051

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I have a cheap GoPro knockoff. I also have a lot of lakes within a half-hour drive from home. Underwater video is cool.

So I made a thing:

It floats with the buoyancy chamber (a 2L soda bottle that hasn't grown up yet) just breaking the surface, but I can vary the amount of water inside said tube to ballast it. The dive planes are adjustable with wingnuts, so I can make it go down or up as I reel it in (I plan to use a sawed-off fishing rod and an old Daiwa casting reel with 30-pound-test line to launch/recover it). Pulling it through the bathtub, it seems to work as it should (i.e. with the planes in the setting shown, it scrapes the bottom before I run out of bathtub length). Attachment rings on both ends so I can tow it either way, and rather a lot of safety cable tied into the door of the camera in case the whole thing falls apart.

Edit: the cutout on the side fins at the front is because the camera has a very wide-angle lens, it's cut so the fins don't block the view if it's tilted back to point straight down.

This is super neat. Will you just drag it behind a boat or what?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chip McFuck posted:

Wasn't sure if there was a book making or paper craft thread, but this looks like a good place to post this. Ever since the quarantine started I've been reacquainting myself with my love of bookbinding by making my own sketchbooks. Still pretty rusty but I think these turned out alright:

The left two are stab bound, the gold leafed one is case bound. The green has really nice Tomoe River paper so I can sketch with my fountain pens and the other two are made with a cotton-rag printmaking paper.

It's really nice getting back into this. Like seeing an old friend.

Whoa those look awesome! I'd love to know more about the process.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hadlock posted:

Since sailing season has been canceled this year, have been eyeball-building a sailboat from scratch, I have some RC guts to dump in it when it is mostly water tight. It is loosely based on an mid-1990s/early 2000s IMOCA/Open 60 design (the modern 2015+ models look more like alien spaceships than sailboats). Gonna hit it with some wood putty to seal up the gaps, put a transom (back/trunk lid) on it, and I have a prebuilt rudder off of ebay

Thinking about naming it the Stephen Fry, as the nose (bow) is a bit crooked. I also have an ardupilot for it, which in theory should turn it into an autonomous GPS sailing drone? We'll see.

This is super neat, thanks for sharing it!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Found a JessEm Table for cheap and already had the lift. Built a cabinet out more scrap 1/2" plywood. 3D printed the handles and cord wrap, got some castors, and dust collection parts.

This is exactly what I need.

What is behind the center piece of ply that doesn't open out? Just keeping things enclosed for dust collection? Would love a trip report on the router table after you use it some.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

One of them Charcuterie things. Finally used my home made CNC for something other than "test runs"
What's fun about "rustic" on a live edge is nothing has to look perfect :downs:

This is rad I really like the feet. Is it walnut or what? Really gorgeous color, especially if it is oiled walnut which always seems to turn kind of black and meh for me. Someone posted some mesquite sometime that had a kind of similar color too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Apparently mesquite is just the prettiest wood then. It looks like warm old walnut with none of the funky new walnut purple/greys. Really pretty finish.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The guts of that machine are pretty stunningly beautiful

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

I made some rectangles on the living room wall. Also painted, got a new TV, and moved some stuff around:

Before, with bad lighting, paint samples on the wall, and various junk piled against the wall:

After, on a sunny day, cleanup still pending but better organized:

drat that looks great. I love the color and the mouldings really add a ton. Is your ceiling poured concrete?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bad Munki posted:

Here you can see how it was previously attached, and my brilliant OSHA violation:

:jail: :mods:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That bag is very awesome

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks awesome and a wood fired oven is something I definitely plan to build one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That is very cool