Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
October of 2006 my parents bought a wonderful new house, with really crappy landscaping and a unmaintained patio. First thing we did was tear off out a section so we could build it strong enough to hold our hot tub. Built a three level section to aid getting in and out of the tub easily, as well as step the other side down into the yard. I didn't get a digital camera until summer, so not many in progress or detail pics of that. I also detested the project so much from the bruised lung the post hole digger gave me (I COULDN'T SURF IN MAUI!!) that I didn't do anything else until spring/summer.

We used the lumber from that to replace the sagging and broken portions of the rest of the deck, and completely scrapped the railing to build a new one. At this point it was at least usable:

Borrowed a truck to get the new lumber for the rail

Planning the rails: just winging it

I was working 10 hour days in addition to helping my mom with the landscaping, and got burned out after putting up the rail

My dad had a buddy over to help, and they put up the slats

Here you can see how the hot tub is set up on the new three level section of the deck from the winter build.

Old lumber used to make another set of stairs.

You can also see the big...thing my mom had me build for privacy at our old house. This thing was more of a pain to move and reinstall than it was to build in the first place.

Mom's project I helped with started with using a sod cutter to remove a huuuge area of grass to make this large garden/relaxion area adjacent the side of the house and the remodled patio

Entryway that was really fun to plan and build, luckily my mom volunteered to stain it.

Stone walkway and fire pit area that's back by the patio

I built this water bubbler for my mom on mother's day. Woke up really early to put it together, and she walked outside to find me right as it started bubbling, she nearly cried because "it's so thoughtful"

I really know nothing about gardening, my mom is a master gardener and I just do all the labor because she's 50. I really also know nothing about woodwork, but I find it pretty easy to "reverse engineer" things and copy and adapt to my needs.

I have done plenty of electronics projects, too, but havn't photographed any of them :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

EigenKet posted:

I gotta know, how did you bruise your lung with a post hole digger?

And nice job on the patio. It looks really good.

Well, it was one of the two man augers, actually. 20 degrees + clay + gravel we have here in Indiana = lots of getting stuck. Whacked me in the chest hard enough to bruise the lung, but not break any bones. http://www.alexkubacki.com/Junk/bruise.gif

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

EigenKet posted:

Oh, it was powered. See, I was picturing this kind of post hole digger, the only kind I've had the misfortune of using. It would take a very strange sequence of events to bruise a lung with one of those.

Yeah, we had to do 14 three foot deep holes at 8 inches wide...the manual one would have actually KILLED me for that.