Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Not dirty, but 4x4 for sure :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

That, sir, is an amazing picture.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

Ug, I need to visit all wheels, probably wont happen now that my jeep is for sale.

Before you sell it, let's take your jeep and my GL up there.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Colonel K posted:

This chap recently started importing Nivas back into the UK again. http://www.markkey.co.uk/nivacar.html Unfortunately they seem to be the euro V emissions nonsense so that probably hurts performance and economy.

He claims 33mpg which I assume will be in imperial units so a little more in US mpg terms.

Actually it would be less US gallons, there are 1.2 US gallons in an imperial gallon. So a car that gets 33 miles per imperial gallon would only be 27.5mpg US.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

apatite posted:

Hilariously that OSB is the inside of the door to the shed......which is painted camo :aaaaa:

All my other toyotas are carb'd with mechanical fuel pumps (22r and 20r) and the subarus need their pumps so they can be shuffled around as needed. The parts subarus have already been scavenged for their pumps

The 22RE from this 4runner will get swapped into my first gen yota in the spring to replace the carb'd 22R, so I am ok with buying a new fuel pump, swapping to a plastic tank at the same time and want an inline pump.

Your other option for inline EFI pumps is the secondary ford f150 fuel pump. I think rangers and a bunch of other fords have the same one. There's a low pressure pump, then the inline high pressure pump. A new pump for my old subaru was gonna be well over $150, and I picked up an f150 one on ebay for like $25.

Only thing, get one that comes with an output fitting, I think they're 10mm thread. I couldn't find a fitting that worked anywhere locally. I was in a pinch so I tapped it out to 1/8" npt and it's been working fine for about 7 months...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

I'm clueless and naive - I know salt water will corrode your poo poo to hell and back, but would a decent freshwater rinse-off after a sea-dunking be a reasonable way to prevent that?

A rinse-off won't clean out a sea-dunked car.... When you submerge a car in water like that salt gets into all the little places you don't want salt... In the rocker panel drains, in suspension parts, into the threads of bolts and nuts, in your brakes, all over the exhaust, etc, etc. It's hard to get all that salt out.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Wheel gap definitely tells me it's lifted, but the distance from the bump stop to the axle looks pretty stock. Also it doesn't look like there's any modification to the spring mount or anything... Quite likely a body lift. But yea, need better pics.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

Could the wheels be too small?

Now that you mention it, yea, the tires do look comically small.

You should probably sell it before the transmission explodes...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I drove to QC city over new years and my stupid Garmin took me on road like that. I was in a convoy with a few cars going up for a party. I have 4x4 and extremely meaty snow tires, but the Subaru with half baked all seasons ended up about like you. Going to QC in the winter without snow tires is usually a bad idea since their idea of plowing is: "well, everyone should just have snow tires."

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Well, to be fair, everyone should just have snow tires when it snows. They are legally mandated here.

Do the Quebecois make fun of us Americans who drive out there in the winter with bald tires and then crash? Is it a running joke, or so common it isn't even funny anymore.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Google is actually pretty good. I use waze almost all of the time when I'm in the US. But when I'm in Canada I often use the Garmin. Verizon lets you pay $5/day to use your phone in Canada, but not all carries give me data (Telus), so it's just easier to use the Garmin. It's what almost got me in trouble going down a snowmobile trail in Quebec in January.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

powderific posted:

I’ve actually grown to appreciate the side swing door after banging my head on a bunch of SUV hatches recently.

Clearly you need a bigger SUV. I'm 6'1" and can walk quite comfortably under the hatch of my Sequoia.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Now I just need to get out and get dirty.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Went out and got dirty. Holy poo poo, there's sand EVERYWHERE.

Also ticker hit a big number:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Tell me more about the Sequoias!

My current offroad hunting/camping vehicle is at the mechanic getting a huge estimate put together. At 21 years old, it might not be economical to fix it. The Sequoia looks like the obvious upgrade path if I want something similar to my Sienna but more capable offroad.

The 1st gen Sequoias look to be under $10k and are reputed to be reliable even at high mileages. So I'm thinking about it.

e: fwd letting me down

I have an 02 sequoia with over 300k miles on it. 1.75" lift, 33 inch tires and it's extremely capable.
The first gen (up to 07) has a solid rear axle and does really well offroad. The second gen is IRS, and... meh. They're ok, but not the same.

Original engine and transmission, the thing has been really reliable in my lat 100k miles of ownership. Just make sure the frame is solid, or buy one that has had the recall done (that's what I did).

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Get your Sequoia if you can, people are moving on them since you cant get an offroad Lexus anymore.

Yea, you need to buy fast when you see those things. When I bought mine, it was just a lovely cheap SUV. Now they're a lovely expensive SUV that everyone wants real money for.

I have had mine 4 years now, i think? I have lost count, but with 120k miles on the new frame, it's still looking brand new. Fluid film goes a long way. I think it's also that the new frame design is way better than the original.
Side note: The fact that Toyota put a new frame in a vehicle with 180k miles still boggles my mind.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

ryanrs posted:

So how much should I be looking at for a 1st gen 4WD in good shape with 1XX,XXX miles? This is in the bay area where rust does not exist.

Based on sequoia groups I follow on facebook, A LOT. Probably like 7k+ on average, it's insane.
Honestly, finding them in the 100k mile range is difficult at all. These things go well over 300k without issues, so they get driven a lot.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Hotel Kpro posted:

I went to the literal corner of Utah last weekend, it was pretty neat

The truck did great

Even when the road got a little tight

I can't remember if I've already posted this or not, but last year I went with a few people out to the tri-point of Maine, New Hampshir, and Quebec. It was pretty fun.

We dug up the ME/NH border stone from 1861?

Went across some sketchy bridges, there were more, but I think this is the only picture I took of one.

And the ugly pig:

I technically illegally walked across the Canadian border during lockdown just to piss on a Canadian pine tree :canada:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

ShaneB posted:

Welp I'm officially a Colorado resident. Bought a 2013 Xterra. Just the S 4x4, not the Pro-4x that is incredibly desirable around here, and honestly it's not like I need a locking rear diff for the kind of stuff I'll do. Finally don't have to take a regular car wilderness camping anymore.

Initial plans:
- roof rack storage box
- build out a sleeping platform for the rear with storage underneath for gear and a cooking station
- skeeter mesh window screens
- drive the fucker

first, pics!!
second, an aftermarket locker is probably cheaper than the markup of the pro-4x, and likely a better unit anyway.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Hotel Kpro posted:

I'm kinda digging the tri-points. They're a bitch to get to but they're pretty neat. Made it to the Utah-Idaho-Nevada point

Sagebrush as far as the eye can see

That looks like fun! It's something I never thought I'd chase, but it's kind of a fun destination.
The ME/NH/QC one was fun because it's not documented well, there's no road going to it, and once you're a mile away you just park and start bushwhacking. There's no trail, they don't want people going there.
It just adds to the adventure of the whole thing.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Buy a sequoia, it's basically the same thing for a quarter of the price.
Mine has 307k miles and the thing is an absolute unit. I take it offroading, camping, pulling car trailers, driving to work... Great car.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I'm certainly not closed to the idea, but some of the Lexus creature comforts are attractive to me - heated seats, nicer interior, less truck-based suspension.

The limited has heated leather seats, they all have auto climate control with a heater core and AC evaporator in the back with separate controls.
Nice interior just gets trashed offroading and camping...
Truck-based suspension is a bit agricultural (sequoia does have rear coils), but it's a lot cheaper to fix/upgrade. If the hydraulic horseshit breaks on the lexus, have fun.

Also, the lexus has a master cylinder with built-in electric brake boost and ABS, the whole unit is something like $2000. The sequoia has a traditional master cylinder that's about $50.

For me it's a give and take, and I like simplicity and reliability, especially if i'm going out into woods camping/wheeling.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Hotel Kpro posted:

Cross posting from the hiking thread. A week ago I drove a long way to get close to Yellowstone

The road was closed beyond this so I brought the bike

The Yellowstone border from the Idaho side

No roads, paths, not even game trails

A bearing tree to help find my way

The Idaho Montana Wyoming tripoint, significantly harder to get to than any of the other tripoints I've been to

Google is not infallible. Google Maps tells me the road to the left here is definitely the way to go

The Forest service made drat sure no one used it, there were multiple 15 foot tall piles of dirt along it and many others as I trekked deeper into forest
That looks like a lot of fun! In the height of the pandemic, a few of us went and found the maine - nh - quebec tripoint. It involved offroading for dozens of miles and then bushwhacking for a mile of woods. It's a fun goal.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Combatace posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking to replace my current car (a sad 2011 Ford Fiesta) with something a little more rugged . All I'm really looking for is something that can carry poo poo and survive BLM/Forestry Service roads while being as mechanically simple as possible. My budget is roughly 6k +/- a bit.

I've been looking at late 90s/early 2000s Honda CR-Vs and Toyota RAV4s. Most of them around me have 150-200k on the clock. Depending on how good shape they're in, I reckon they would last forever with regular maintenance?

Thanks!

I bought a 2002 sequoia with just about 200k miles on it, service records of its whole life at the dealer, 309k now and it works perfectly.
I really like the car, good offroad, good for camping, good on the beach, i can tow a car trailer with it, i can daily drive it. one of the best all-around cars i have ever owned,

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I used to work at a boat dealership, and a few of the guys had Sequoias or similar year Tundras. They seemed like good capable and reliable vehicles for hauling and towing. That said, I think the fuel consumption would be nearly half of a CR-V (14/18 vs 24/28 as returned by a basic Google search), if that's something they're concerned with.

Yea, my biggest gripe is that the 26 gallon tank is way too small. 36 gallons would be nice.
My second biggest gripe is that the first gen of 2uz, with fixed cam timing, is a little bit gutless. But this is picky, it's fine the vast majority of the time.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I have an onboard air setup with a viair 380 and it has been great for me. It has 100 percent duty cycle, and I mounted it on such a way that the mechanical engine cooling fan blows over the compressor.
I use it to fill my 33's from single digit psi back to 40, and it does amazing.

It also runs my air horn, one of the best mods, and probably an arb locker in the future.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Sounds like the VIAIR 85p isn't going to be ideal, which is too bad because that's what I already have. That 400p with auto-shutoff looks nice, it's just cheaper enough that it's tempting over just going all out on an ARB compressor.

Look at Slow is Fast post on the last page, my viair 380 runs the balls off an ARB single. Half the cost, too.
It also helps that i have a 1.5 gallon tank, so when i'm not filling tires, the pump is still running building air. the time it takes between wheels, checking the pressure, all time you gain when having a storage tank.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

I just want to point out that Cali Lean and Carolina Squat are two very different things.

well, (loving stupid) - (loving stupid) = 0, therefor they are the same. loving stupid.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Arishtat posted:

Abandoned Dorset marble quarry

That's a real fun place to explore:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Arishtat posted:

Heck yeah it is! I’m sorry we didn’t get to meet up but my plans to come to NEFR got scuttled so maybe next year we can form a Toyota based sweep squad? Motronic and his Porsche need some more backup.

Slow is Fast will probably run his landcruiser in sweep, i'll more than likely be in service welding broke poo poo together.
Definitely come to NEFR and look around, though. it's fun!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I've had good luck with my goodyear duratrac tires. I have done thousands of towing with them lately and they are wearing great.
They are absolute poo poo in snow, though. But i have snow tires or that.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Airing down in snow can help sometimes, it can hurt you sometimes. I don't do it for normal driving.
If you're on fairly hard packed snow and it's real slippery, airing down to get a bigger contact patch might help you.

If you're in deep snow and you're worried about high centering, airing down might help you and it might gently caress you.
On the one hand, it will help float up a bit higher, give you more traction, and give you more room under the car since you're floating more.
On the other hand, it lowers your ground clearance and it might gently caress you.

If you're in mushy snow without good traction, but there's a solid base that has traction, MORE air pressure might help. The idea is, if it isn't too deep, you want to dig into the base where you can get a bite.

I only ever use chains when it's so slippery and icey I literally cannot move. I also use chains when I run winter sweep for pulling rally cars out of ditches. I use chains if I'm snow wheeling and generally loving off in the woods.
The other day I had to chain up to pull the town plow truck out of the ditch, it was stupid icey and he slid off trying to sand the roads.

The vast, vast, VAST majority of the time, I run my snow tires at the pressures suggested by the vehicle manufacture.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Tenchrono posted:

I might have bought something today 😬

86 FJ60. Pretty sweet. Just rolled over 320k miles, had a complete engine rebuild a bit ago so it should be good for another 300k. Theres some small rust on the panels but none on the frame, might just have the whole thing sandblasted and repainted / sealed. Think I need to pick up the H55F to drop in because it was screaming at 65mph. Probably going to get a small 2.5” lift and some rockers / plates for protection, already came with arb front and rear lockers.

beautiful! I'd love to have one of those.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Paulie posted:

But I do enjoy not having to duck under a liftgate. I've not taken it offroad yet, but I assume it would be comparable to the 4runner, save for the lack of a rear locker, but the ATRAC appears to work well, from what I've seen.

I'm 6'1" and could walk under the lift gate on my sequoia, even before I lifted it and added bigger tires. Now I can jump under it.
I like a lift gate because it's a sun shade and a rain roof when I'm camping and trying to cook. I can park head to wind and have a nice protected area in the back of the car in inclement weather.

the ATRAC in my 2002 sequoia is the first generation of this system and it works pretty drat well, it's impressive. I can only imagine later versions of the system are amazing.

I use my sequoia for towing ~6k lbs on the regular. The non-vvti 4.7 is a little bit anemic, but it does pretty drat well overall. The newer tundras and sequoias have a ton more power, too. 20 years of development on the platform has come a long way...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I really like my goodyear duratracs. I have the E-load rating in LT285/75/16. They do really well offroad, better than they have any right to be in mud, decent in sand, and I've put thousands of miles of heavy towing on them. They are ABSOLUTE TRASH in the snow, though.

For winter I have E-load winterforces in the same size. They are an amazing snow tire and i have no complaints about their performance in snow, on pavement, towing, towing in a blizzard, etc.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

I miss the OG Winterforces, the new ones don't look like they'll do as well on muddy dirt roads as they used to. Which do you have?

I have the OG blocky ones. The new ones have more siping and closer tread blocks. Probably better on ice and quieter on the highway, at the expense of worse performance in situations where you need clearing action. Mushy snow, mud, etc.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Most of the aftermarket electric lockers go through open when you go forward to reverse, whereas ARB lockers are locked all the time.
This might not be an issue, but it's something to keep in mind when changing direction, you need to be mindful not to slam the locking pins if you're stuck and trying to rock it out.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Over 2000 miles logged on the BFGs over the last 5 days. Unfortunately, we did not get out on any trails in Moab as we were only there for the day and wanted to focus on the national parks. I was blown away by their highway performance, I think I only lost about 1 mpg with the bigger and heavier tires, but it's hard to say as I was driving into a headwind the entire trip back to California.

I did go down one dirt road in Vail. I didn't bother airing down because it looked pretty smooth and there were minivans driving on it going to campsites, but then got to a pretty bumpy section and my back end started sliding out sideways with the vibrations. I looked at my air pressure and the tires were at 40 psi. I'm guessing this was the altitude? I was around 10k feet. My tires were 35 psi on all 4 corners at home - 700 feet or so above sea level - before I left. They were at about 38 on the highway through the desert on the way to Colorado.

Anyway, I let out some air and was fine from there out.

My Viair 88p struggled to get the tires back up, which I'm also assuming was due to the altitude. Its supposed to be good "up to 33" tires", while these are 31.7".

I have a 380C, which is just a tiny bit more CFM than the 88P. I've never had it struggle, per se, but it does take quite a long time to fill my 33" tires on 16" rims.
Thye're E-load tires, so I run them at 55psi, and it really isn't overly excited about airing up from, say, 15psi to 50.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

“Keep out” looks more like an invitation than a warning.

gently caress. THAT. I wouldn't go in an abandoned mine if my life depended on it (although, it's likely your life depends on not going in there...).