Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

highme posted:

I see a lot of wrenching in this pic and it scares me.

Depending on how we liquidate this tractor collection, I'm planning on paying cash for new or a near new RV. I agree with the if it's gonna be live/work you definitely should be in a Class A, but also not longer than 30' as that appears to be a limit for a lot of campgrounds. The Forest RIver FR3 RVs look perfect for this because instead of a rolling bunkhouse it's a rolling 1 bedroom apartment w/ a king sized bed. And that configuration seems a lot better for empty nesters w/ a pair of 80 lb dogs looking to add another maybe. As far as a data connection goes, redundancy in networks sounds like a good US solution, I'd only want satellite if we were heading south, and TBH, I don't think I'd be allowed to do my job outside of the US for security reasons. And as much as I'd love an actual overlander with a good overlanding trailer to just disappear with, that's not really my wife's ideal, she loves not camping.

Going w/ a TRD Pro Sequoia or Tundra gives me a bulletproof rig for the rest of life, but maybe not towing something big enough, that's unfortunate, part of my desire here is to buy things that I'm not gonna have to stress about anytime soon w/ proper maintenance. I suppose a big diesel would suffice, I'd just prefer to stick w/ Toyota at this point.

I think you're headed in the right direction with this, but wanted to add that I wouldn't get a tundra if you want a fullsize truck, they just seem like a poor choice vs domestics. I just finished shopping trucks (ended up with a Tacoma) and the f150 was the best price/value of the fullsizes I looked at for light offroading/towing type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Is there an overlanding/sleeping in your car outside thread or is this the closest thing? I've been building a DIY pop-up camper (like a go-fast) for a while and am looking for a place to bounce some ideas around for a platform for the bed to go with it.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Perfect thank you!