Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Dealer tags have since been destroyed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I owned a 1988 Ford Tempo that made it to 140,000 miles :)

Went to go to some 4x4 adventuring today and got rained out :(

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Atticus_1354 posted:

What the hell are you talking about? That just makes it more fun.

Ahh, with no air compressor for airing down, and a 7 rated all rock trail, and my less than a month old Jeep, no thanks!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Atticus_1354 posted:

You need a backup. I used to love taking my cj7 out in the rain.

I really wouldn't have an issue with it if I had a winch, tire inflation device, and it wasn't a week day (more traffic around the trails on weekends). I went ahead and bought a decent air compressor today, along with a cool deflation device. The winch has to wait until November when my bumper will be here.

It's raining an unusual amount the last couple days in Colorado and in my opinion the trails here aren't to be taken too lightly. Dry rocks are one thing but when they get wet you can really slip around quite a bit.

Edit: I have been looking at cj7's and early yj's for a trailer rig.

rally fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 8, 2011

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

So Friday was my first ever 4x4 experience. We went on a rockhound trip to Chuckwalla springs. The ranger performed beautifully and I can honestly say that that was the most fun I have ever had while driving. There are no new fluid leaks. I had no problems with overheating, hell the AC was on half of the time. The bfg ATs are amazing. There were points where all I could see was sky and then suddenly all I could see was the ground. I had to go into 4lo twice. It was such a fun thing to experience. This was also my first time experiencing sliding and really low traction as there were some areas that was just loose sand, and I was just flying through those. I loved just slipping around the desert. I cannot wait to go out again.

In the future I need to find some flared fenders for the front. the offset had them hit the wheel arch every once and a while. I need to replace the struts, and I need to find new suspension bushings but the lift is no longer in production so I don't know where to go there. I need to find a place to stash my spare tire as clearance between the frame rails is an issue. I also need a high lift jack.

I am going to have a lot of fun with this truck :3:.

Are lifetime alignments a good idea?

Sounds awesome! Pictures would be lovely. What type of terrain were you on most of the time? I usually keep my jeep in 4 lo for 90% of my four wheeling to keep my transmission happy. Also my jeep has no guts in 4 hi to get over any rocks or anything. 4 hi has pretty limited uses.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

mod sassinator posted:

Look for a '99 Cherokee--later years had problems with bad heads, and earlier years didn't have as much power. You can easily find one in good shape for 4-5k. Don't be too worried about higher miles as the 4 liter engine will run for 200k+ with basic maintenance, and parts are dirt cheap when something breaks. Don't get the 4 cylinder version though. It's way down on power and still gets terrible fuel economy. Expect about 15mpg from the I6, it's not good but is worth it for a bulletproof engine. I'd look for a sport, classic, or limited trim too instead of the base trim as you get a much nicer instrument cluster with power, oil pressure, and coolant temp gauges instead of idiot lights.

What this guy said. You need a 1999 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 and 8.25 rear end. You can get something with less than 150k miles on it for $3000 or maybe less depending on your area. Then you take the another 2k of your budget and turn it into something really amazing and keep the rest for all the $100~ repairs you'll be performing yourself.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

kastein posted:

Crossposting...

get out and get... clean? I guess.

When you came out at a stop sign it actually hit me how ridiculous that storm is.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Ozmiander posted:

But what if i almost endo?!

I actually saw one of these save a guy from endoing a jeep XJ in Moab. He went to flip, came down on the stinger and went back down on his wheels. Still ugly but I was pretty impressed (that the guy didn't poo poo his pants)

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Safety Dance posted:

I'm planning to drive my TJ from Chicago to Denver for a conference in July, and I thought I might take a few days to do some camping and offroading while I'm in Colorado / The West. Any suggestions on where to go? Anyone want to join me on a weekday for some offroading?

How done up is your tj? There are a ton of places of different levels around an hour from Denver. I would go somewhere in my modestly lifted XJ.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I've never been through SD but that is pretty much what I figured it looked like! Unfortunately all of my favorite light wheeling spots close to Denver are on fire or about to be on fire.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
That looks like it's down near the springs so it should be fine unless someone does something stupid camping! I am a lot more familiar with the trails around middle St vrain in Boulder county which is pretty hosed right now.

Edit: actually that trail is out near Georgetown about an hour west. It's probably awesome and not on fire.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Hit up some beaches near Hatteras this week. There’s a big storm rolling in and it was pretty cool just driving around checking out the crazy ocean stuff.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Motronic posted:

Super fun. My regular stomping ground used to be the beach access on Bodie Island.

Always enjoyed helping newbie people who got "stuck" learn how important it is to air their tires down....lots got out without me even having to give them a tug after that.

Yeah, the one time I got lazy and figured I’d fine without airing down I ended up dug in pretty badly within about 10 feet of the on ramp. I air them down to 15 and leave it there permanently now. I did learn today that wet sand isn’t necessarily easier to drive on. Had a little bit of a nerve wracking moment flinging sand near the shoreline but ended up fine. I love it out here, favorite place in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Yeah it’s different if it’s a sports car at a track or something but for off-roading I just air down and back up to the desired PSI.