Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A civillian Hummer actually getting to do what it's supposed to do. Beautiful. :patriot:

I think it would have been comical, however, to have an H2 and an H3 tagging along and/or getting dragged along by the real Hummers :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I will, I know there are a lot of Az guys on that site.

There's a lot of 'em on this site too, just that most of us are queers who own Miatas and Minis and lowered trucks and poo poo :v:

Part of me honestly wonders if, given the gas prices, now I can afford to pick up a Cherokee or something to use strictly as an offroad beater / poo poo hauler.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-20555116

It occurs to me that the Norfolk Police may wish to shut the gently caress up about subjects they know nothing about.

The guy is driving on a known good base surface, at the right speed, with a good bow wave being maintained, and there's no real current or strong wind to gently caress things up. Textbook deep wading driving. He's no more irresponsible than the guy in the tractor coming the other way.

Overreaction, sure, but in AZ we've had to enact a Stupid Driver Law to give the police a specific rule to punish drivers with when a BroTruck inevitably gets stuck when the driver tries to make it through two feet of rushing water during a flash flood.

Alternatively, they wouldn't have been as mad if he was wearing a high visiblity safety vest.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colonel K posted:

I'm wanting to re-engine and am tempted to go down the LS route. Probably a LS3 as I understand that is relatively easy to squeeze in to the range rover.

There is no difference in the actual longblock itself as far as fitting the engine into a vehicle - all the way from the original LS1 up through the LS3 and current Vortecs. The only factors that impact fitment are the accessory drive, oil pan, and intake manifold, which all vary more based on the original application than they do on the engine itself. And, with the right parts, any engine can receive nearly any combination of these parts (see: BoostCreep looking at going to a car intake on his truck-sourced V8 to get more hood clearance).

You will, however, pay a premium for the 'latest and greatest' of the LS line, which currently is the LS3. The LT1 is replacing it but isn't actually available yet. You'd get nearly an identical end product for a good chunk less money with an older LS1 or LS2, and a good deal less money again if you're willing to do an iron-block 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0 truck engine.

If you do go that route, I'd do the 4L60/4L65E swap with it, just because it's the most commonly available transmission option and it's very easy to find a complete engine, transmission, wiring harness, and computer as a set. The 4L6x is not the world's greatest gearbox by any means but since it's been around roughly forever now (it's still the same basic design as the early-'80s 700R4) it is relatively cheap and easy to rebuild for big power now. If you can get your hands on a truck engine with a 4L80E hanging off of it, though, that'd be the best bet - the 4L80E is considerably more stout than the 4L60, though it's also relatively rare.

Or, if you do want to go nuts, you can try and get a later-model engine that has a 6L80 six-speed attached to it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colonel K posted:

Thank's very much for the reply, it certainly gives me plenty to think about. The difficulty with sourcing items is that I'll have to have everything shipped from the States to the UK.

That would definitely make things more tricky since I'm guessing the only LSx vehicles you guys have would be various Holdens/Vauxhalls and the rare Corvette. Half of the reason the LSx is so goddamn popular here is that at this point, a 4.8/5.3 out of a Silverado is one of the cheapest engines you can get your hands on in swap-ready configuration, since there are literally millions of them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geared Hub posted:

A LM002, completely original, including the tires.

Aren't the LM002 tires ridiculously expensive these days?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even with a lever, you're still doing the work. Seems like it would take roughly forever to pull any significant distance if they geared it properly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jonathan posted:

In Defense of that clip that was an offroad rally race, and in the rock section (Backdoor), it's a scramble to get up. I think in an interview after he said at the time he didn't realize they had a winch line out.

It seems like encouraging someone to go flying around in a situation where another person may be winching is an incredibly dangerous choice anyway. Feels like they should be signaling the driver in some way or another that a winch line is out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

That is King of the Hammers, one of the toughest offroad races around. It is every man for himself, no holds barred offroad racing. If you are on the course and in the loving way expect to be driven around. There have been multiple cases of a stuck/broken/rolled vehicle being driven over or around in that way. If you can't deal with that... don't enter King of the Hammers.

I get it, it just still seems like it's just begging for someone to get run the gently caress over and for the lawyers to start circling. Seems like maybe a rule where you get a short time to try to recover and if you can't, you've got to get yourself out of the way while whoever is coming up behind you gets to use your driver/passenger-less vehicle as another obstacle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Man, those photos make me wish my wife had kept her '86 Toyota 4x4 instead of trading it for a 280ZX.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's the dirtiest I've managed to get it so far, does that count?

Granted I don't drive in the snow much (today makes maybe the third or fourth time ever) but drat was it nice having Quadradrive + snow-rated all-terrains. At one recreation area where the parking lot was long full and they were making people turn around on a two-lane road with shoulders that had turned to a soup of mud and snow, I watched a few cars and an Escalade spin their wheels for ages sliding around before they got anywhere.

I flipped that U like it was on dry pavement. :c00l: Despite snow and slush and even some ice everywhere all day, the biggest problem I had by far was the lines for the washer fluid freezing up.

Going to have to wash it tomorrow since I don't want whatever Flagstaff uses for deicer to stick around on it any longer than needed. But then I'm going to actually get some practice driving off-road next weekend.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

That's cute. But it also makes you the king of the road in your climate, so hell yeah.

They've got the snowflake symbol on them, and they're the only tires I've ever bought with them. Every other time I've driven on snow its been with regular all seasons (thanks, rental minivan) or an E320 on summer tires (thanks Dad) and suffice it to say it didn't go so well.

I have at least ridden shotgun a few times in a properly equipped vehicle on snow (V70XC on proper snow tires), so I at least have some understanding of how much traction there can be on snow - this was just the first time I've ever had anywhere near that while driving.

They do sell the winter washer fluid here too, but they don't stock much, and this trip was a last minute change of plans. Not like I would be able to flush it all out easily without just spraying until the reservoir is empty. At least any time I parked it the heat of the engine was enough to remelt the lines and get it flowing again.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 2, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I could probably do that but it would take forever - my washer fluid capacity is reduced a bit due to a crack or something. I haven't tracked it down yet but if I ever try to fill it full it just starts leaking out as fast as I can put it in.

Might do it anyway, it managed to get to 30 overnight and froze the lines again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I offroaded a Jeep today! (or, the case of the mysterious moving brush bar)

Probably just rotated it on its mounts, but the bumper itself seems to be mostly unscathed. A shitload of fun even if I did spend a lot of time with my stomach roughly in my throat. Even stock and going slow to avoid simply smacking from one nerf bar to the other when rocking side-to-side, this Jeep is more capable than I am.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A budget boost is definitely tempting. Got another run in two weeks which thankfully won't require nearly three loving hours round trip to get there and back (today was a long, long day). I should probably clear out the backlog of projects for the GMC before I start non-maintenance items on the Jeep, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll whip up video from the dashcam of the ditch that I think caused most of the pushback - honestly it was just steep enough and just short enough that I was going to get hung up on it either way and I think in this case it might've saved the bumper from getting ripped off. It did definitely push back into the bumper a bit, there's some cracking in the paint.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

*six months later*

Maybe the paint damage is what ends up justifying a full steel bumper :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll be perfectly honest, that's the kind of offroading that appeals to me more than crawling over rocky roads. Not a huge amount of it here, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I'd agree with this. I'd also say the same for the sidesteps.

If you see a WJ with the factory rock rails (such as an Overland) in a junkyard, they'd offer you some protection to the sills without having to spend on aftermarket kit.

Every WJ I've seen in a junkyard here has been heavily picked through, they don't last long in yards here.

Closer up photo today of the 'carnage':

Yep, definitely bent the mounting ears. The bar itself seems unscathed, but both ears have a nice twist in them. Seems like if they'd just have put some form of triangulation on them, it might've survived.

Looks like it did push it back on the slotted mount holes on the subframe, though. Loosened them (they weren't terribly tight), pushed the bracket as far forward as possible (impacting the sway-bar bushing), torqued them down. Now I have at least a sliver of daylight between the bar and bumper again, though I may just undo the bar before I go on another trail in two weeks :v:

Diffs and transfer case look clean, looks like the hits I took along the center were all on that crossmember.

One of the LCAs has a dent now, and all four points where the nerf bars bolt to the subframe look roughly equally gouged up. The bars themselves seem to still be reasonably straight (haven't inspected them closely without mud on them) but the ears might be a bit tweaked.

Backend. Looks like the HF D-ring hitch I threw in the receiver took the worst of it, the skid plate for the gas tank has a few new marks but is otherwise fine.

Decided to clean the air filter while I was at it. :barf:

If it looks like that after the run in two weeks, I might pitch the K&N after all.

Lastly - snapped this of the label on the fuel tank skid. I can't seem to get any hits on google for any of these numbers - does anyone know whether this is the thinner brush guard, or the thicker skid plate?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ozmiander posted:

Rip off that fake push bar and just wash the k&n. Get a prefilter baggie for it and enjoy not having to pay $15 every time you go in to the desert.

kastein posted:

Ditch the chrome poo poo, it is about as thick as a soupcan and protects nothing, like I said right after you bought it :v:

(And I think it looks like chrome teefs for a down syndrome walrus, but that's opinion/appearance)

Yeah yeah, I think I'll try taking it off sometime this week. The more I think about it, if it did save me from worse on the bumper in this case - it's already been weakened dramatically.

Ozi: It's a panel insert for the stock airbox, do they make prefilters for those? Or do you stick that on the snorkel leading into the airbox?

I'm not so worried about the underbody, I'm more amazed that with the noises I was making that there was nothing more than superficial damage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

The thing about the push-bar and side-steps is that if you remove them NOW you may be able to sell them for a few bucks. If you fully gently caress them up you probably won't be able to give them away.

With the loving nightmare of a time I had trying to sell the old wheels, and the pile of Ranger parts I still have in my garage... gently caress trying to sell that poo poo, that's what the scrapyard down the road is for. Way too many flakes on CL for my liking.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Still more photos trickling in from last weekend.

Low-rider. :snoop:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Quite well, as far as I can tell; had them aired down to ~20 PSI. If I ever couldn't move forward it's because I was just plain on the wrong line and getting hung up on something, or a couple of spots (like either just before or just after that first picture) where I just needed to give it more gas to let the Varilocks do their job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Timelapse of the whole run, with whatever music Youtube had that was close enough in total length:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9yQRJ3r_E

Then if you want to see / hear me getting nervous in real-time:

The first big climb on the trail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BubTrXLeqRg

A steep downhill on some really loose rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwDdgkZMeA

Pretty sure this did the most damage to that stupid chrome bar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4YoIL_ago

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Went offroading again today, without any radio (legal or otherwise).

Definitely need to get that 3" Kolak lift and a transmission cooler. Along with a CB since nobody here seems to want to risk pissing off the FCC with a Baofeng. Even though the majority of the trail can be run in 2HI (or as close as my NV247 gets to it) I noticed the engine temps dropped a good bit when I went to 4LO. I wasn't using more or less throttle, I think it mostly came from not relying on the torque converter so much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Proof that a WJ is great at holding up more capable rigs while wheeling.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That looks like a sweet spot for exploring/camping! Glad you're pushing it a bit unlike almost all the other WJ drivers - put a bit of a lift in there with some bigger tires, get your overnight gear together and have a blast. You'll also be enjoying the quiet ride/air conditioning us junkyard XJ people pretend to not care about :v:

The best part is this area is pretty much as near as possible to being in my back yard. It's the first time I've done a proper run through it, and the first time I've taken it in the direction we went. It's not in the photos but the beginning part of it is basically a long sandy wash, with some really nice views. I think it might be useful for convincing the wife that she might actually like leaving paved roads now and again.

Also, this has to be the first time (and perhaps only) where my WJ was not the one slowing the group down. The TJ in front of me was open/open and had to hit the hill with some momentum to keep moving when he got light on the driver's front / passenger rear at the same time. Wheelbase plus variloks got me up it the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbTRK-Dlb88

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 17, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

I'll be honest, if I could figure a way to put WJ Variloks in a DD XJ/MJ, I would. Unfortunately they require custom profile axleshaft splines and such to drive the gerotor pump.

Just run the whole axles, instant wider track! :pseudo:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Let me know how those disconnects work out - I haven't even ordered my lift and I'm already considering getting those instead of just the regular extended swaybar links so I don't spend the money twice :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think an antirock is an option for those of us with a taste for the finer things* in life, though.

*Dropped valveseats and broken blend doors, of course!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Astonishing Wang took a couple of tries to do this, and I am very sad that I didn't get a single picture of him three-wheeling up.

Wouldn't the easier route be to line up a lot further right?

tuna posted:

BoostCreep bobsledding down some typical Cleghorn bullshit:

WJ supremacy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Yes, generally you want to straddle vees.

That's ... not really his style, though.

I'm still figuring this whole "offroad" thing out so I'm just making sure I'm not missing something. I do realize that sometimes "harder because I can" is an option here :)

BoostCreep posted:

I was honestly pretty shocked with what I was able to do with the WJ. I only took two bypasses where it was obvious the 31" (245/75r16) AT tires wouldn't be big enough to get over some of the larger rocks. Otherwise the WJ just rolled along with everyone else. I just needed to go a ~tad~ slower than the TJ with lockers and 37" muds. My sliders definitely paid for themselves though. Both have some nice gouges front to back, and I got some nice new pinstripes to go along with them.

My vacation pretty solidly wiped out my lift funds but yeah I think sliders are going to be a must-have for the WJ - they'll gain me some clearance that I've lost with the terrible chrome step bars. They'll also offer some protection for poo poo that I can't avoid dragging on without stepping up to $Texas lift kits and big-for-a-WJ tire sizes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Pretty shocked at how well the QD worked. Makes me wonder why Jeep even needed to move to QD-II if 164k mile LSDs worked as well as they did.

Cost, most likely. Seems to me like an electronic control system could be cheaper to build and warranty than the funky gerotor not-really-a-locker, not-really-a-limited-slip axles we have. I'd say probably easier to make better behaved, but it's not like the Variloks are anything but perfectly tame on the street.

Looks like they did eliminate the front E-locker for later WKs anyway. It still has a proper locker out back, but is probably using the ABS and ESC to make the front open diff work like a LSD.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The official get out and rape your tables thread (4000x4000 pictures inside)

I'm dubbing it "4Runner Syndrome".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In Honolulu, I actually saw a Wrangler that someone had butchered into vaguely resembling a Hummer. :barf:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Here, have a massive* picture.

*Straight out of Google it was something like 18,000px wide. Looks like it did a decent-enough job of stitching together most of it, aside from the Jeep itself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like fun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dragged the WJ through some mountains all day. One of the local clubs does a massive run (~150 Jeeps total) up the backway to Crown King every year. In my particular group it was a shitload of Wranglers (including a stretched, coilover, LSX-powered CJ... yeah :getin: ), my WJ, and one XK Commander. It gets a bit hairy in spots, especially when (shortly after the last pic, distance-wise) a total of about 80 Jeeps in one direction encounters about 10 side-by-sides in the opposite direction, on a two-track shelf road. I'm not gonna lie, I was sucking up some seat while hugging the wall to avoid punting the side-by-sides off the cliff.

And proof of a dirty Jeep, which of course got blasted clean by rain on the way home:

Those side-steps are coming off next chance I get, and goddamn do I need a lift so I can stop banging into / bouncing off of rocks that JKs with mild lifts just ignore. The XK made it through the whole thing too, minus a cut tire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

And yet, I notice a distinct lack of any pictures of this most AI of Jeeps. :colbert:

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion Automotive Insanity

It's actually the one in front of me in the second pic, but I didn't get any proper photos of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Video of one of the more nerve-wracking parts of the run. I was a bit nervous trying to sneak past all of these side-by-sides on this shelf road, and if I were any of them I wouldn't be staying in - they're all parked as close to the edge as possible. From what the spotters were saying I had enough room but all it would take is one Jeep bumping one SxS and they're tumbling a good long way down.

No way either group could realistically back up. There wasn't anywhere for them to do so for a looong way past where they were, and behind me was somewhere on the order of 80-90 Jeeps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMWwuHpdYYw

Reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLxszv9eCM&t=390s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

It *was* a bmw X3. Tire shop had installed one tire too big causing the fire.

You mean you had your high beams aimed at it for about 30 seconds, right? Because with those lights it seems more plausible than "wrong tire size".