Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Does anyone ITT have one of the new Rangers? I've been researching all kinds of 4x4s and I've zeroed in on the Ranger FX4. It feels like a good fit because I'll have a truck for truck stuff, I can fit a car seat for the little one, and it's super capable offroad for some off-roading day and overnight trips. Just curious to hear any goon experiences owning one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Friends, I appreciate all the Ranger info! :tipshat:

After weeks of looking at and considering Rangers, I decided to buy an Xterra PRO4X that I found with only 30k miles.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Safety Dance posted:

Strong move. Xterra is an underrated truck.

I'm excited to get my hands on it! I've been looking all over the region for some day trips where I can learn on some easy trails.

Is there a preferred site or app for scouting out trips like that?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That’s an awesome trip. I’m super jealous of anyone who has the PNW in their backyard. It’s just gorgeous in every direction.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That's an awesome little camper.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ehud posted:

Friends, I appreciate all the Ranger info! :tipshat:

After weeks of looking at and considering Rangers, I decided to buy an Xterra PRO4X that I found with only 30k miles.

So funny story, this didn't work out, but I found one exactly like it with 48k miles, private party for about 5k cheaper.

I just picked it up yesterday and I am very happy except for one issue. It doesn't fit in my garage :doh: The guy who owned it before me kept it absolutely mint. It has zero wear from the sun, so I feel obliged to keep it nice. I work from home so I'm contemplating just grabbing a car cover.

Anyways, time to plan some adventures :haw:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

:agreed: that looks great with the black accents and wheels.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

phosdex posted:

Hello thread, last year I moved to northern New Mexico and now I bought a Jeep to explore around in the mountains.

Beautiful area and awesome Jeep! I like the green.

I'm planning some half day trips for local trails to get my feet wet and figure out what I'm doing in my Xterra. What apps do you all use to scout out and navigate trails, camp sites, etc.?

It seems like Gaia is the big one most people use, and then I see some recs for OnX Offroad. I downloaded both but most of the good features are behind paywall. I don't mind subbing to one of them, but I'm not sure which to pick.

I really just need something to help me find trails around me, get me to the entrance, make sure the trail is open, and give me some info on what to expect when I get out there.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

(Disclaimer: this advice largely applies to my experience in the western deserts, not heavily forested areas although I do travel to those as well)

I've used Gaia for years and have a 5yr premium subscription - I think I got mine on a Father's Day sale or something for ~$125. It's worth every penny to me, and I make a hobby of marking notes on good campsites or open roads wherever I am/whenever I'm out in the dirt. It's real value is downloading offline maps you can use out of cell service as long as your device has GPS (I use an old-rear end iPad 3 or w/e).
I haven't tried OnX Offroad but I have tried my buddy's OnX Hunt subscription, purely to check private land ownership plots as it's oriented to hunters. It too has offline maps and seems quite usable.

Tbh, you can go a long way scouting roads with Google Maps these days, especially satellite mode (they have the best image resolution). Gaia used to have a GSat overlay, but Google changed the API or some nerdy crap and it's not in there anymore, so I regularly tab between Google Maps Satellite (scouting dirt road quality, are there gates, etc) and Gaia (topo maps, creating routes/elevations, marking prospective campsites).

None of them will tell you what trails are open/available to my knowledge, or what the area conditions will be - your best bets there will be USFS/BLM/XYZ Park OHV or dispersed camping pages, careful google satellite scouting, and local oldschool greybeard message boards/websites where people effortpost trip reports. As painful as they are, local 4x4 facebook groups can be a good resource too - every time someone posts a picture of their rig on a trail, the first five replies are WHERE IS THAT?? WAT TRAIL?? and you can go from there. Nothing beats an experienced local though - I have a longtime friend I met at work years ago who introduced me to places I never would have thought to look at. Try to meet those guys.

Thanks for all the tips. I might just head out with nothing but google maps and some pre-trip research and see how that goes, then see if I feel the need to get Gaia.

I joined a couple local FB groups as well.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Finally got a chance to go off pavement for the first time in my Xterra. This is Horse Pasture Road in upstate SC. It's not technical at all, but still a lot of fun. It's about 7 miles of dirt and gravel with a lot of elevation and some nice views on the way up.

At the top is a place called Jumping Off Rock which overlooks Lake Jocassee.

They have some camp sites that overlook the lake. This may be my first overnight trip once I grab a few things to be able to sleep in the truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Paulie posted:

I need to get over that way. I'm close to Charlotte and I always hear great things about the Lake Jocassee area.

My old iPhone pics don't do it justice. Really beautiful area.