Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody got suggestions for beginner goalie gear? I know I don't want to skimp on a helmet, so I'll probably buy that used, but I definitely want to try and save money with used equipment everywhere else.

I probably won't do any actual league play until next January, so I've got time to assemble a set piece by piece if needed. I know initial spend is looking like 1200-1500, but I want to try and minimize that cost without suffering a concussion or a broken dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bootcha posted:

If you're penny pinching, look at ebay. I got a TPS Bionic blocker for $80 and a backup chest protector for the same. Ask goalies at your rink if they have any old hear they'd be will to part with for free or a lower cost. The higher level goalies tend to chew through more gear than others, and they tend to be more spergy about new gear that comes out, so their equipment turnover is higher. Also check if your area goalies have a FB page where they post their equipment sales. If there's a Play-It-Again Sports near your rink, check that too.

Other than that trawl through the major online retailers and check the sales for goalie equipment. You can usually find a decent pair of pants for about $200.

Thanks for the tips. I play in Greenville, SC so there's not many second hand options available to me other than online. My local rink is shut down until August due to a blown compressor and maintenance, so I won't be able to check there until then.

Is there anything I want to keep an eye out for to ensure that I don't get absolute poo poo equipment from eBay?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bradf0rd posted:

What are your measurements? Height, ankle-to-knee, inseam?

Height: 5'8"
Ankle-to-knee: 16"
Inseam: 27"

I'm assuming the inseam is the bottom of my pants to my crotch in this one.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the best way to measure myself for Goalie pads? I've got a local skate shop, but they pretty much exclusively cater to skaters and I don't think they have anyone on staff with experience in fitting goalie gear.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm about to start assembling my goalie gear and I have a question regarding face masks. I've read that you want to buy new on goalie face masks because of the high risk of concussions if you buy the cheap poo poo. I'm looking at the Bauer NE8 and it seems to look decent for the level I'll be playing at (D League).

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/masks/goalie-masks/bauer-goalie-mask-nme8-cert-cat-sr.html

Am I spending too much/too little on a helmet?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Alright guys, I've got my full set of goalie gear coming in from points all across North America and should be in (hopefully) by this coming weekend. Should I practice up in a few stick times or jump straight into a pickup game? Unfortunately my local rink is down so I'm drinking 2 hours to Charlotte, NC to play :(.

I've skated in regular skates since October so I feel like I should be able to jump in relatively easily into goalie skates, although I know there's going to be some adjustments in terms of technique.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay, I just received babby's first goalie leg pads in the mail today (Vaughn V3 7500) and I need some general advice on how tight the buckles need to be. From what I've read and watched on Youtube, the straps should be 2 notches from snug on the bottom buckles and gradually getting looser at the top. Also, I've got the thigh guards with these pads but they're detached. Do I just tie them on the pads with string or do I need special fittings for them? I know a lot of guys take the thigh guards off, but I want to make sure I have max protection since I'm new and I'll probably do something retarded and get hit in the thigh.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Finally got all my gear.

I thought I was going to an open practice session, but it turned out it was a full pickup game. Probably the most fun I've had sucking at something in my whole life. To my credit, I did get some good stick save action in. Can't wait for this weekend!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got the pads used for like $150, which was a super steal considering they were Vaughn V3 7500s. Glove was used and the blocker was on clearance. I think the only items I went new on were the helmet, pants and goalie cup.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Picked up a second team for the fall. Along with my current team where I'm seeing the most shots per game (besides the absolutely godawful last place team), this team apparently isn't great, but a tier above the team I'm on now. Sounds like I'll be getting plenty of work twice a week!

Oh, and interesting note, the whole drama/getting kicked off the team I formed last year...after having 3 straight of the worst seasons the team has ever had, they've inexplicably decided to move up a division. Should be interesting to see.

What kind of shot differential are you looking at? Even the best goalie can't stop 50+ shots a game...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-equipment-bag-2200-wheel-sr.html

I bought this bag right before the new year and it's pretty good. You can manage to fit all your gear in there if you Tetris everything in the correct way. It way seem a little small though, so you may want to get the slightly larger variant that's available.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I too have shortleg-itis.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Any of you gentlegoons have any experience with Vaughn skates? I ordered a pair of GX1s in a drunken haze last Friday night and I'm hoping they will be an improvement over my Bauer Nexus 6000 skates (which are beat all to hell).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jovial Cow posted:

Hey SAS goaliemen, I have a technique question for you. I am admittedly a new beginner goalie, I played my second ever league game last night filling in for our regular goalie. I allowed two goals that were the same general flavor. Essentially the other teams winger would be coming from the center of the ice and go wide around my right D. By the time he got by my right D he was in the right circle and coming diagonally at me. I wanted to take away the near post and make him do all the work and beat me to the far post but both times this happened I got beat near side between my blocker and my chest, one guy on his forehand and one guy on his backhand.

I think his happened because I always try to keep the blade of my stick covering my 5 hole, but when I butterfly in order to keep the blade covering my 5 hole my blocker has to go out wide which creates a gap between my chest and blocker.

I know I should probably have my blocker right next to my chest in this situation but if I do that my stick blade either goes up or off to the side and is no longer covering my five hole.

I guess my question for you guys is can you not have it both ways? Do you operate under the assumption your 5 hole is covered by your leg pads in butterfly and keep your blocker close to your body regardless of where your stick is? Or is it possible to keep your blocker against your chest and your stick in front of your five hole and I'm just incompetent?

Based on what you're saying, to sounds like the shooter was near the lower part of the circles when he was releasing his shot. From that distance, you want to try and keep your arms and elbows in tight to prevent shots from going in those gaps.

Here's a good video that illustrates butterfly positioning depending on the distance of the shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbcgJcIGjjc

Start around the 45 second mark for some still shots of the butterfly positioning. You'll see the stick blade cocks up a little bit when he is keeping his arms tight, however it's still covering the 5 hole.

Were you at the top of the crease during the shots or were you backed up into the net? You open up a lot of space if you retreat into the net too soon on a shooter.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I went ahead and got the GX1s and they are really nice. Rubbed my ankles a little raw, but that's a sore spot on every skate for me.

As for the Bauers, I bought them used from Ebay and they were already worn out.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can you guys help me suck less? This is my 3rd game in D League and I felt like I played decently, except for some goals on the breakaway.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...VZlRkpyR1pHNktn

I'm the righty in yellow.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The link is actually a bunch of videos.

I'm seeing between 25-30 shots a game, which I guess is great for experience but kind of sucks when I let in some soft goals. The scores in my games so far have been 9-1, 4-3 and 7-4, all losses. The 9-1 game was a clusterfuck for the whole team, not just me.

I'll check out your videos when I have some time during work today. You're right about using game footage to try and identify areas of improvement and not to beat yourself up over. I guess mental fortitude is a big part of the position too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Spookydonut posted:

You keep moving weirdly and picking up your feet when you're expecting a shot, your stance could be a little bit wider. Also don't give up depth on a shot unless they're coming in fast and dekeing all over the place.

Also stop putting your blocker on the ice, your arms should basically be in the same position when standing as when you butterfly, in both cases your stick covers the 5 hole, don't drop that blocker. You're leaning on it and therefore leaning forward, makes getting up and moving around harder. You want to be upright with a straightish back when you drop into butterfly, don't crouch down forward.

When you don't do the above you look pretty good, I saw some really good recoveries (this one), getting up on the correct leg and moving to be square to the shot.

Also your glove hand is maybe too far out to the side, try bringing it in front of you a bit. But whatever feels natural, don't try to do some crazy contortions to match what someone else is doing.

Thanks for the tips man. I think the main thing I'm going to be working on is keeping my stick in the upright position while doing the butterfly and keeping a straight back. Basically I want to be as tall as possible, from what I understand. Glove positioning is also something I noticed while I was watching these videos. I guess I either need to keep it out further in front of me or keep my elbow tucked in tighter next to my body.

Just to confirm, I want to get up on the leg opposite of the puck, correct? I actually have a tendency to prefer my left leg when I get up from the butterfly (I don't even know why, I'm right side dominant). I need to make sure that I'm getting up properly during practice and games. Depth is also something I'm working on getting better at. I think I got the right idea on my angles, but I retreat too soon I guess because I'm not confident in my skating and movement abilities.

I appreciate the look and advice. Still working on getting my first win, which will hopefully come this Thursday.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

titanium posted:

Anyone going to the GGSU camp in Chicago? I signed up for the last 3 days so figured I'd ask, please dont "stairs house" me if you are.

I'll be there all week. You got any experience in traveling by air with goalie gear? Because I need advice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm going to put my helmet/glove/blocker in a regular hockey bag along with my other clothes. That should cover my 2 checked bags along with the sticks.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'd say that you should still get a sturdy mask even though you're doing lower level goaltending. If you decide to go and practice during a pickup game, you'll probably see shooters who can really wire the puck.

I've had pretty good success with a CCM 9000 mask. I've been on a hot streak lately where I've been hit in the head nearly every game and I've yet to be concussed.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Any of you tendies used sliding toe bridges? I order a pair today to see how it would affect my butterfly and I've heard good things.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

topenga posted:

Do you guys have recommendations for gear for a first time goalie? Like, never goalie'd in my life but is pretty decent at catching things flying at her face? I don't have a style preference (yet). I'm looking for "will keep me from being seriously injured" and "not taking out a second mortgage". I know, I know, this poo poo is expensive.

I'll write some gear recs for you when I get home tonight, but anticipate around $1k to get started. Lowest tier mask that is safe will run you about $370 minimum.

Edit: also, if you catch with your right hand, I have a blocker and glove I can give you.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

topenga posted:

Do you guys have recommendations for gear for a first time goalie? Like, never goalie'd in my life but is pretty decent at catching things flying at her face? I don't have a style preference (yet). I'm looking for "will keep me from being seriously injured" and "not taking out a second mortgage". I know, I know, this poo poo is expensive.

First off, you want to invest in a good goalie mask. I use the following mask and have taken numerous shots off the dome with no concussions:
http://www.goaliemonkey.com/ccm-goalie-mask-9000-pro-cat-eye-sr-15.html

The "non-certified" bit means that the cage doesn't conform to NCAA and Canadian mask standards. It's an additional safety standard, but most rinks don't check for it, unless you live in Canada. A certified mask will either have an additional bar on the in the cat eye design or will be a squared cage design like you see in player helmets. When shopping for goalie masks, make sure the construction is fiberglass and not a composite plastic material such as Lexan. Bauer NME3 masks are notorious as widowmaker and will not provide effective protection against puck impacts. You may say "well I don't plan on seeing higher level shots" but if you play in any sort of pickup or sub for C league, you're going to see guys that can shoot hard enough to cause damage. Basically a good mask is a non negotiable if you want to play goalie at any level.

When starting out, get rid of the notion of particular "styles" of play. Every goalie uses a combination of save selections so nobody is strictly "hybrid" or "butterfly". These styles are marketing terms to denote specific styles of leg pads.

You've got three different styles of leg pads to choose from, and they are based on the type of break used. Simply put, the break of the pad is the segmentation of the foam that forms the face of the pad. Generally, pads are separated into no-break and break styles. Here's are some examples of each break type.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/leg-pads/sr-goalie-leg-pads/bauer-goalie-leg-pads-supreme-1s-od1n-sr.html
These are probably the current hotness for "butterfly" goalie pads. If you notice, the outer edges of the pads have no segmentation and the face looks to be one piece of foam, which indicates a no break pad. These type of pads are generally constructed with hard foam and generates a high rebound. They are marketed toward taller goalies which block the net with their leg pads and like to send the puck into the corners using controlled rebounds. They also have less strapping than pads with breaks, although this depends on the manufacturer.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/leg-pads/sr-goalie-leg-pads/vaughn-goalie-leg-pads-pro-v-elite.html
Here's an example of a single break pad. You can see that there's segmentation right at the knee joint and on the outer roll of the pad. These type of pads are a bit more flexible and tend to curve more around the contour of the leg. This tends to help close the gap for those who have a narrow butterfly when on their knees. Another feature of these pads is that the foams are a bit softer so rebounds don't travel as far. This type of pad is associated with the "hybrid" or stand up style of goaltending. As I said earlier, no goalie is truly standup or truly butterfly; we each use a combination of techniques to make saves.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/leg-pads/sr-goalie-leg-pads/vaughn-goalie-leg-pads-velocity-1000-sr.html
Finally, you've got double break pads. These pads are segmented both below and above the knee joint and are the most flexible pad. Normally they fit "tighter" than other pad types and tend to closely contour the leg profile of the goalie. I personally have a pair of these pads and they fit fairly well with my style of goaltending. Similar to single break leg pads, double break pads are soft and generate shallow rebounds.

When purchasing leg pads, you'll see size measurements such as "33 + 2". The 33 indicates 33" to the bottom of the thigh and the +2 indicates an extra two inches added to the top of the thigh rise for extra coverage. Each manufacturer has different sizing charts for their pads, but I would recommend that you try on some leg pads at a local shop to figure out what size works for you. Body dimensions are unique and a 35"+2" may work for one person, but not the other, even if they are the same size.

I'll continue some gear recs later but I've got to go start dinner.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Full right "felt better" I guess. I tried with the stick in the right hand and it felt wrong. I'm naturally right handed so it was strange. Eh goalies are strange.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Real talk, suspenders are okay to use. I have like a 30" waist and I have to use suspenders to get a medium to fit. You may have better success if you tuck your pads too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm not certain about Bauer models, but most masks have a chin cup adjustment you can do (if you're not doing this already). Also, the padding in that mask looks very after market. My CCM mask doesn't have nearly the amount of padding and it still fits tight.

If you want to replace the foam, I'd look into Maltese gel packs. You may be able to find something a bit thinner to make the fit more comfortable to you.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm copying and pasting this from Reddit, but this is the kind of night I've been having.

quote:

For the first time in my life I had a teammate turn on me during a game and start yelling at me. We were down 5-0 in the second period after allowing 30 shots to our 2 and I had let in a Steve Mason style goal earlier in the game. No big deal right? I'm getting shelled and I made some pretty good saves earlier in the game. The puck starts coming around the net so I hug the post and wait to slide over until I see it coming across and right as I slide to the left post my teammate turns around and starts yelling "FOLLOW THE loving PUCK WITH YOUR BODY!" and slashes me in the pads. I start yelling back to him and tell him to look at the loving shot counter and while we're arguing the puck goes in the net.

I got really close to just skating off the loving ice at that point but I calmed down and stayed in the game. The refs pushed the guy off of me and told him to go to the bench. They were both dumbfounded because they've never seen a player get into his goalie's grill during a play before. One of them asks me if I wanted the guy ejected but I tell him it won't do any good and just finish the game.

My teammate leaves midway through the 3rd period and doesn't stick around the locker room to say anything. I was still pissed off at him but I expect him to be man enough to stay in the locker room and talk things out if needed. My other teammates came up to me after the game and told me not to worry about it, but I'm still pissed off as gently caress about it. I told the team captain that if that poo poo happens again I'm done with the team. I don't have to put up with this poo poo, especially given the fact that we lost 9-0 and were out shot 44-12.

This isn't the first time I've had this guy say poo poo to me during the game but I just chalked it up to him being competitive. I've got pretty thick skin and I can take criticism, but he crossed the line tonight. You NEVER turn on your teammate in any sport especially the goalie. It hosed with my confidence but I finished through a combination of rage and pride.

I'm really considering asking to be put on another team next season. We haven't won a game in two seasons and I've only been playing since last August, but this is the loving D league. I'm out at stick time every weekend and nobody else on my team practices or puts any effort forth. I feel like I'm taking all the blame despite the fact that our goal differential is -38 and we average like 1.5 goals per game. I want to stick it out and support the team, but I'm not going to accept being turned on during a game.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm still pissed off and needed to vent. Sports are supposed to be fun in the rec league, not a loving player showcase.

Think it's time I found a new team boys.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well I vindicated myself last Thursday by winning 4-3 in the shootout. Mr. Unexplainable Rage was not in attendance for the game and I think we played better for it. Got my first win after a 23 game losing streak :toot:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Trip report: First time on ice in full gear at a clinic.

So sore, so tired, so many angles and options. Exactly the kind of workout I expected to get. This clinic is more for players, so goalies get shots all night. I'm not used to dropping down enough to do it for the full hour, but I managed to get about 20 minutes of it and spent the rest of the time working on puck tracking and cutting angles.

I need to make some equipment tweaks (trying suspenders for pants), but I'm totally going again next week because I'm just crazy enough to to keep doing this.

Sweet man, glad you had fun! There's definitely a difference between hockey shape and goalie shape.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Real talk I have to take a break every 10-15 minutes during stick time if there are no other goalies. You spend a ton of energy getting set for a shot and reacting to it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you have an questions about the basics, hit me up via PM or post in the thread. I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination but I have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics that may help somebody starting out.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I need to get some kind of video recorded of myself skating. I feel like I'm either playing too far above my level or I'm just not a good goalie. Like I've got a good grasp of the fundamentals but the last game I played we wound up losing 9-0. Now I know that there's a team in front of me that's gotta do their part, but there was about 4 goals that were entirely my fault and the rest were just odd deflections or breakaways.

I don't think my GAA has been below 6 over every season I've played. I've been on some patently bad teams but my confidence is getting shaken. I want to get better because I love playing goal but it sucks if I'm thought of as literally the league's worst goalie. Then again, I've only been playing in net for like 1.5 years so I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Yeah, it worked. Loosening them up eased everything. Felt a bit more free to move as well.

I mean, I moved as well as someone with five hours of just facing shots and no goalie specific instruction would. I make no claims that I'm good at this.

It takes time, man. You can't learn goalie overnight. Just go out there and focus on having fun.

Anybody have any advice on covering shooters that start wide and cut in front of the crease? I got burned twice last game to where a shooter walked around my defenseman and wired a shot over me in the low slot/circle. I felt like dropping to the butterfly was the highest percentage move I could do but the puck when over my right shoulder. I think my issue is that I'm not keeping enough depth on the shooter and my shuffling is too infrequent.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

thengeance posted:

Been playing with my squad for 2 years, having our worst season ever-- 1 win in 9, 5 GAA.

Biggest concern is why we keep running out of beer.

I have one win in 3 seasons combined. Goalie isn't an easy position.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sounds like you might have strained where the hamstring meets the knee joint. What's your stretching routine like before going on the ice?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Have you been doing any different movements or drills that might twist or stress your right leg more than normal? I had some issues with the tissue right below my right kneecap, but I figured out that my knee pad was causing it due to being out of position and adjusting it helped.

I'm probably not helping much but physiology isn't my strong suit. Most of my pain is emotional from being a terrible goalie.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody got any suggestions on my stance? I feel like my stick position is a little off and my glove hand looks a bit awkward with the way I'm holding it. Maybe I'm not getting my hands far enough in front of me or something.

Got a good chance to work on some fundamentals last night before stick time went to poo poo with a scrimmage. Still feel like I'm getting beat too easily by tight end shots, but I think it's more of an issue with basic positioning than save selection.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I need to either adjust my blocker positioning or get a stick with a longer paddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've got a goalie who will be helping me out tomorrow morning who played women's college hockey. My paddle is 25" but I may try out a 26" that I have as an alternate to see if that helps out any.

• Locked thread