Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aniki posted:

Let me know, if your team plays at ASU.

Doesn't ASU run two teams, like a D1 and a D2 or something?

I doubt we would play the D1 team, but I guess the D2 team is possible. I'd imagine we're gonna stay reasonably local (we're in socal) since there are a lot of teams around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Surfing Turtle posted:

I really want to try the Bauer skates but right now I am perfectly fine with my Grafs. Anyone know if the Bauers are lighter than Grafs in general? My Grafs feel pretty drat heavy.

My grafs are lighter than my bauers, but also bulkier.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Martytoof posted:

Do you guys really feel the difference in weight as far as skates go? I can't say I even notice my big heavy KoHos on my feet.

The biggest thing I noticed switching from Bauer to Graf was the higher ankle support and the the Graf just being bulkier. As far as weight and blade and all that poo poo it was a pretty seamless transition.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ManicJason posted:

There was a huge different in blade feel between my old Bauer somethings and my Grafs. I was toe picking constantly while I got used to it.

How old Bauers are we talking? It took me maybe half a practice to make the switch.

edit: If you want to talk a hard transition I play out in roller and going from mid line Bauers to top of the line missions was like going from combat boots to rocket shoes. Man did those things add some speed

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I feel like I get stronger pushes with more ankle support, but I can see what you mean by the flexibility.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Funkutron5000 posted:

I'm not sure if ASU still has there D2 team? They were in our conference up until this year (Pac 8) and we retripped out to play them last year, but for some reason they weren't in our conference any more this year (and I was too lazy to find out why). If you can get your team out there, it's a fun place to party, though.

Also, if you're looking to set up games with UCLA let me know and I can get you the team president's contact info.

Yeah PM me the email or something and I'll let our coach/captain know.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 10, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Use it on a case by case basis like everything else. It's going to work well on some shooters and in some situations and not so well in others.

edit: Keep in mind though that with a good player they will know that the best place to go on a directly horizontal cross crease move is generally five hole because it automatically opens up as the goalie pushes.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 12, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Hazed_blue posted:

This could not come soon enough though, I can tell you that much. It's amazing what happens to your brain on the sidelines; I really didn't know how downright dependent I am on this sport!

I'm playing out in a tournament in a couple of weeks and it's killing me waiting. I've been training for it up here but training sucks god does it suck if I do one more squat I'm gonna kill somebody

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
here is me in a dek tournament last year playing out and doing what every one of us has wanted to do to someone hacking at a goalie. note the claude lemieux walkaway like nothing happened.

Dek is so weird compared to roller and ice it's really the grindiest thing and kinda not fun at first if you're someone like me whose greatest strength is their skating. But once you get used to its pretty fun. It's a lot more physical than roller I took so many crosschecks to the back that tournament.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Yeah its definitely a weird game, and I hated it when I first started playing it, and thought it was dumb, but I enjoy it alot now. I still like roller better I think, even though I'm a lovely skater, but dek's got a little place in my heart. Plus all my dumb friends who can't skate can play dek, and we ended up making a fun little team out of it.

Yeah I play dek every year with my extended family and some friends who can't skate that well but are really good players on their feet. It's a lot of fun.

edit: I know this is a goalie thread but my shot is so much better with the puck than the ball. It's so loving hard to keep the ball down with power compared to a puck.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 14, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Thats weird, because I've noticed playing ball roller as opposed to dek, the shots are much harder in dek, and the playing levels I'm on aren't terribly different.

Hmm I don't know I haven't played with a ball in roller in ages (everyone plays with a puck out here), but for sure I've seen some people in dek who can get some heat on the ball (and some nasty curve and dip) - I'm just not one of them hah. Once in a while I'll step into one but I'm much more dangerous from 10 feet in with a snap shot.

I think it's probably because my best shot in roller is my wrister and it's basically a useless shot with the ball imo (snap or slap is way more effective).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I had a couple of 6'4 d-men on my team out in California who were very adept at curving the ball around screens like they were Ronaldo or something.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
gently caress my coach just emailed us our schedule and we have a game in mid-October and I'm woefully out of shape aaaaaaaaaaaah I don't even think we have a backup goalie.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
yeah I'm just bitching and being lazy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I would never do another squat or lunge again in my life if not for ice hockey.

First game in two weeks vs. UC-San Diego wooo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah, like Marty I like at least taking away the low part of the net if I have no idea where it is (since that's the most probable shot).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

titanium posted:

These are style choices more than standards. If they're home free before the blue line I'll start drifting towards them, if theres a 2-0 I wont shoot out to the shooter as aggressively because he has lateral options. Do what you're comfortable with, if you find that to be an issue maybe try something else.

Yeah it really depends on the speed they're coming in with, what kind of guys we've got back, what kind of options they have, the tendencies/skill of the shooter, your own relative skill - especially in regards to crease movement. There's no one way to play it, even by one goalie.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There are apparently three of us in Orange. I'm in Tennessee for the summer though :( and I've only been playing ice for my terrible university when I'm there. I'm graduating next year though and might not have the time to play ACHA so maybe I can sneak in some games with you guys :ninja:

Or do some roller/dek cause I'm poor and playing out is more fun anyway

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 5, 2012

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
why dudes fightin in beer league

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Hockles posted:

The same reason dudes fight in inline.

seen dudes fightin in co-ed softball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I used a 3/4 when I was younger but switched to a 1/2 when I got to college.

• Locked thread