Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
is that the one with the "No No No Song" on it because that poo poo's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Junpei posted:

is that the one with the "No No No Song" on it because that poo poo's hilarious

Yes, yes it is.

Tried Rotogravure next and I think I answered my own question, it sucked.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Ringo Starr's solo career? I've got Goodnight Vienna playing in the background atm, and is it worth it to continue?

No

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the farthest anyone needs to go with ringo's solo stuff is what george wrote, so "it don't come easy" and "photograph"

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Looking over the credits for Goodnight Vienna on discogs and I forgot that all the songs are basically collabs. That funny No No Song? Written by Hoyt Axton. Now I'm questioning if it's even worth keeping the Ognir Rrats bootleg I have....

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Did any of the former Beatles do anything worth listening to after they broke up? I've never really dug into any of it too much but I don't have good impressions from what I've heard.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ultrafilter posted:

Did any of the former Beatles do anything worth listening to after they broke up? I've never really dug into any of it too much but I don't have good impressions from what I've heard.

I think George Harrison’s All Things Must pass is great and contains a few masterpieces on it. I also really like Wonderwall Music.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

A lot of it is great. Some of John’s solo stuff he wrote while the band was togther and was just left off of the white album, etc. If you like later Beatles listen to Plastic Ono Band. I think Ram and McCartney 1 are both pretty good too

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

ultrafilter posted:

I'm a freak who loves the last Wings album, Back to the Egg, and McCartney 2 and 3 but not 1. I think angry Paul = better music though but most of his output is very twee sentimental indie rock which I personally do not like. People love the hell out of Ram, which basically invented the genre iirc, but it's one of those that got reclaimed as good in recent years.

I had a Lennon CD (Ono Band?) once and remember nothing about it. And if you're a Harrison fan you already own the box set of All Things Must Pass.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 31, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ultrafilter posted:

I really liked Paul's album Flaming Pie for a while when I was about 14. It's ok.
Wings is at times ok.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

I had a Lennon CD (Ono Band?) once and remember nothing about it.

You should listen to it again, especially if you like angry Beatles. It’s a little corny sometimes but also pretty great

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

You should listen to it again, especially if you like angry Beatles. It’s a little corny sometimes but also pretty great

I'll have to youtube it, since I sold the disc to a shop years ago. The secret truth of asking about Ringo here was to get an extra push to get rid of the records of his I do have. I over bought when first getting back into music at the end of 2019, and my tastes have changed since then, especially since I took up an instrument too. I might keep the Ognir Rrats vinyl as it kinda goes with my Rutles stuff: both relate with the Beatles dealing with the break up of the band and the crazy crap they did afterward.

Next reassessment is The Who and the random solo career bits I have from that band.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The vibe from Ringo, using a modern comparison, is that his records are basically like... Travis Scott, in that while he isn't untalented himself (great drummer!) his best work involves a rotating stable of more interesting collaborators (his ex-Beatles bandmates, Elton John and Bernie Taupin, etc.)

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So I am absolutely in love with what little St. Vicent I've encountered, but two of the four songs I'm going to list are in collaboration with David Byrne, and I know nothing of her preferred style or influence on whatever genre she finds herself in.

How do I get into St Vincent, and what overarching themes, genres, and motifs is she about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiiKyvlwkJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dcn1gIl2Co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88fYk06mLH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYDRg40UVko

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Her self titled album from 2014 is still my favorite of hers, but I also really enjoyed Masseduction.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ultrafilter posted:

The answer is yes.

Ringo’s self titled album has some pretty good stuff.

John Lennon worst stuff was merely okay. His half of Double Fantasy is also pretty good, but a lot of his early solo stuff is interesting because he’s still John, so he’s getting angry, doing poo poo like writing and recording Instant Karma as fast as possible and stuff like that. A lot of his mid 70s stuff doesn’t do it for me.

Paul McCartney is definitely the one with the widest range. Half of Band on the Run is amazing, the other half is forgettable Paul going nowhere music. He’s always had at least one or two big surprises up his sleeves. At his most gonzo would definitely be McCartney II, from which Coming Up inspired John Lennon to get back to writing music.

Harrison is probably the most interesting because as a Beatle, he got to do so little. So All Things Must Pass is essential. Cloud 9 is a really great album, and a huge come back for him since his previous 2 albums were largely forgettable, except for the Lennon tribute “All Those Years Ago.” The biggest thing is that he’s having fun, putting out stuff like Got My Mind Set On You and just being goofy as hell. But it doesn’t come off forced.

And don’t forget Traveling Wilburys Vol 1. Basically, he was asked to record a bonus track for a European 12 inch single, and through some fortuitous timing, got Jeff Lynne (the guy who produced Cloud 9, do not that surprising), Roy Orbison, Tom Pretty, and Bob Dylan to record a track with him. Warners rejected the track because they just wanted some filler, so he cuts a full album with them because they had so much fun, and is genuinely another great fun record, and a great swan song for Roy Orbison.

Vol 3 you can ship except for You Took My Breath Away.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So I heard "One Headlight" for the first time and I'm kinda floored so where do I go with the rest of The Wallflowers?

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The answer is yes.

Ringo’s self titled album has some pretty good stuff.

John Lennon worst stuff was merely okay. His half of Double Fantasy is also pretty good, but a lot of his early solo stuff is interesting because he’s still John, so he’s getting angry, doing poo poo like writing and recording Instant Karma as fast as possible and stuff like that. A lot of his mid 70s stuff doesn’t do it for me.

Paul McCartney is definitely the one with the widest range. Half of Band on the Run is amazing, the other half is forgettable Paul going nowhere music. He’s always had at least one or two big surprises up his sleeves. At his most gonzo would definitely be McCartney II, from which Coming Up inspired John Lennon to get back to writing music.

Harrison is probably the most interesting because as a Beatle, he got to do so little. So All Things Must Pass is essential. Cloud 9 is a really great album, and a huge come back for him since his previous 2 albums were largely forgettable, except for the Lennon tribute “All Those Years Ago.” The biggest thing is that he’s having fun, putting out stuff like Got My Mind Set On You and just being goofy as hell. But it doesn’t come off forced.

And don’t forget Traveling Wilburys Vol 1. Basically, he was asked to record a bonus track for a European 12 inch single, and through some fortuitous timing, got Jeff Lynne (the guy who produced Cloud 9, do not that surprising), Roy Orbison, Tom Pretty, and Bob Dylan to record a track with him. Warners rejected the track because they just wanted some filler, so he cuts a full album with them because they had so much fun, and is genuinely another great fun record, and a great swan song for Roy Orbison.

Vol 3 you can ship except for You Took My Breath Away.

No, Mystery Girl is the great swan song for Roy Orbison. You should keep Roy Orbison's name out of your mouth if you know so little.

Wilbur Swain fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 9, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junpei posted:

So I heard "One Headlight" for the first time and I'm kinda floored so where do I go with the rest of The Wallflowers?

That’s crazy. I think of that song as being as inescapable. I guess I’d start with that album. I don’t think the wallflowers have that many. They didn’t have any big hits after that first album.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wilbur Swain posted:

No, Mystery Girl is the great swan song for Roy Orbison. You should keep Roy Orbison's name out of your mouth if you know so little.

tbf, mystery girl is also part of the jeff lynne extended universe

also, i really like "I drove all night" and that didn't come out until the odds and sods record after mystery girl so maybe slow down

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wilbur Swain posted:

Mystery Girl was released after Orbison’s death, which makes TW V1 the last album release in his lifetime (I’m not going to look up when You Got It was released as a single). That’s all I meant by it.

You should go outside and touch grass. There are things to get aggressive about, Roy Orbison is not one of them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Junpei posted:

So I heard "One Headlight" for the first time

Just in awe of this

I'm assuming you don't live in the US? Or weren't listening to mainstream music in the late 90s and 2000s?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Just in awe of this

I'm assuming you don't live in the US? Or weren't listening to mainstream music in the late 90s and 2000s?
Or were in a coma for 25 years?

Edit: Also, for real, listen to more Wallflowers and report back. My GF at the time LOVED them and I remember them being so bland as to be almost impossible to remember.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

Yes.

John Lennon:
Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are great.

Paul McCartney:
McCartney, Ram, WIld Life, Red Rose Speedway, Band on the Run

George Harrison:
All Things Must Pass, Living in the Material World

The Traveling Wilburys are also good, mainly Vol. 1

I like Ringo but not his solo stuff.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Just in awe of this

I wasn't born until after 9/11 and I spent part of my childhood in Australia, so kind of.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ok that checks out. If you like that sound, the rest of the album it's on is pretty good for being middle of the road 90s alt rock. Despite being Bob Dylan's son, Jacob never did much interesting. I couldn't name another song though. Except for Heros, which I think was a cover? I really like that one still.

Every time I hear One Headlight I always expect to hear something like Semisonic or Marcy Playground or Smashmouth next.

I used to get really surprised to find out there were old goons and now I'm always surprised when I'm reminded there are some younger than 30.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 10, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Except for Heros, which I think was a cover?

okay now this is trolling

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Junpei posted:

I wasn't born until after 9/11

Thank you for this. Not throwing any shade on anyone, I sincerely appreciate the reminder that not everyone spent their teen years getting mad at boring radio stations that broadcast One Headlight nearly continuously. I'm Canadian, so multiply the annoyance by a large number because the Wallflowers were interspersed with endless plays of the entire output of Nickelback.

As you can probably tell from the responses from us old fogeys, the Wallflowers were widely regarded as low-grade pop-culture money-spinning rather than as music to be taken seriously. This is perhaps unfair to the people involved. Out of curiosity, is there any music you might put into a similar category, audio pablum not worthy of further investigation?

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
Looking for recs for 70's-80s British oi oi punk that is not racist.
please no clash, sex pistols, damned, etc.-looking for more obscure stuff.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes

bbobseq posted:

Don't know how obscure you want but sham 69, uk subs, stiff little fingers, xray specs, the ruts, and the buzzcocks are lesser known but still fairly big. Sham 69 and uk subs probably the most oi of that bunch. If you want more obscure something like the 4skins?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

bbobseq posted:

Is G.B.H. racist? I know nothing about them other then they're an old british punk band, I have the album Midnight Madness, and that at some point the lead singer turned into a vampire (gots of gothic songs).

Probably barely fits the bill but my favorite punk band these days is The Chats, but again they're modern and Australian.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

bbobseq posted:

Flux of Pink Indians (fantastic Tube Disasters 7''), Rudimentary Peni, Food And Shelter, Alternative TV, Big Flame, The Fire Engines, all the Billy Childish bands (Thee Milkshakes, Thee Headcoats).

And be sure to check out all the Messthetics* comps:
https://www.discogs.com/label/80378-Hyped-To-Death
and see what works for you. Can't get any more obscure than that.

Turbinosamente posted:

Is G.B.H. racist? I know nothing about them other then they're an old british punk band, I have the album Midnight Madness, and that at some point the lead singer turned into a vampire (gots of gothic songs).

GBH are not racist but they're really dumb and fun p-rock, like The Exploited. City Baby Attacked By Rats is a stone cold classic.

* Messthetics as in the title of a compilation series by the Hyped 2 Death label, not the post-Fugazi band.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 12, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

bbobseq posted:

You want actual oi bands? Because the bands you listed aren’t oi. I am not snarking just clarifying.

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
Thanks for the recs all. Sham 69 and uk subs is the type of stuff I'm looking for, just don't want to go down the rabbit hole of investigating every band's personal politics.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
haha, personal politics is kinda the whole point of punk

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
cool

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cher?

All i know are a few of her hits. Gypsys Tramps and Thieves is OK. I liked Dark Lady. Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) was bad with I Got You Babe is as cheesy good. Believe is something I'm cool with once in a blue moon, but I'm not into that sort of beat. Half-Breed is cringy as all hell. In the Todd in the Shadows episode of her bad idea album with Gregg Allman, I admit to kinda liking the bit I heard of You've Really Got a Hold on Me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Cher?

All i know are a few of her hits. Gypsys Tramps and Thieves is OK. I liked Dark Lady. Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) was bad with I Got You Babe is as cheesy good. Believe is something I'm cool with once in a blue moon, but I'm not into that sort of beat. Half-Breed is cringy as all hell. In the Todd in the Shadows episode of her bad idea album with Gregg Allman, I admit to kinda liking the bit I heard of You've Really Got a Hold on Me.

Is there a reason you need to listen to Cher?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

People like what they like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Is there a reason you need to listen to Cher?

My taste in music is already bad and I wanted to make it even cheesier.