Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

algebra testes posted:

I mean, not that I know, but I understand, through a friend that...

Crash totally whips rear end, and if you like that Before These Crowded Streets which is a smidge darker. Under The Table and Dreaming has a few good ones also. Never got much into Stand Up. Busted Stuff is the equivalent of say, No Code, the slightly darker off beat album you say you like it you want to be hip.

For live I started with, I mean, I hear Live At Fenway Park is a good space to start - DMB Live Trax 6 - Fenway Park.

Edit: DMB are a band that jam but not a jam band. They do however get a big frat crowd and they mix up their shows each night like a jam band. Jam band lite is a great name.

My friend who’s into Dave Matthews Band really likes Live at Luther College. He says any live album with Tim Reynolds is actually the best, and Before These Crowded Streets is the best studio album by miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What Time Is It is good.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bill Laswell?

I like some of the random stuff I’ve heard him on but every time I try to listen to his albums I’m flummoxed. I first heard him years ago in this Japanese jazz thing called Tokyo Rotation where he sat in with DJ Krush and some great Japanese jazz guys playing this very cool atmospheric stuff. But then he has punk albums and stuff I can’t figure out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah another vote for Signals. I discovered it when I was 6 and it remains one of my favorites. So much S Y N T H.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OF SALESMEN

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Bill Laswell?

I like some of the random stuff I’ve heard him on but every time I try to listen to his albums I’m flummoxed. I first heard him years ago in this Japanese jazz thing called Tokyo Rotation where he sat in with DJ Krush and some great Japanese jazz guys playing this very cool atmospheric stuff. But then he has punk albums and stuff I can’t figure out.

Bumping this request because I know one or two of you nerds is a Laswell appreciator.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sir Nose posted:

Where does one start with Bill Laswell? That's like asking where one starts with food, or books. The scope of his work is staggeringly vast and varied. Nobody likes everything Laswell does, except maybe for Laswell himself. Even the biggest Laswell fans still hate some of the stuff he's done.

You're sort of better off selecting a genre of music that appeals to you, and then exploring what Laswell has done within that genre, because if you can think of it, he's surely dabbled in it. And you'll find his contributions are intelligent, well-crafted, respectable, and eminently worthwhile. But then that will lead to his genre mash-up and dub projects, and that stuff gets very weird and we're back to flummoxed.

So, that said, Deconstructed-The Celluloid Recordings is a pretty good selection/overview of the earlier years, when he was into only a million different things (as opposed to the billions now). But beware, if stuff there grabs you and you decide to explore further, you could be in for a surprise... Laswell has groups supposedly devoted to different musics (Massacre, Praxis, Material), but even within the groups' recordings, the albums can vary wildly in style. I have a bunch of Material releases, they all sound different from one another, and different from the Material tracks on this compilation. What's the connecting thread? Who knows? Bill does, I guess...

I most enjoy Laswell's collaborations with the P-Funk crew (big surprise there, considering my username/av); he's coaxed really creative work from them in recent decades in a way that George Clinton seems no longer able to do. Axiom Funk Necronomicon is a really good compilation of that stuff if you're into it, but it's more focused, not as far-ranging in styles as Deconstructed.

Then, search him on Bandcamp, there's gobs of his stuff there to explore. Good luck.

EDIT: tldr, pfft you're on your own

Ok yeah, good, because that's been my impression of him so far. I'm a big P Funk fan, so I'll dig into that. I also like dub, so that's one area of him I've poked into already, and I can't remember what it was that I found weird about it.

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm really loving this state I'm in right now where I truly can't tell if you're sincere or absolutely full of poo poo.

I dunno man I'm pretty high and it sounds right to me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cripes :psyduck:

Some choice quotes about various Laswell projects

quote:

According to music critic Chris Brazier, "Laswell's pet concept is 'collision music' which involves bringing together musicians from wildly divergent but complementary spheres and seeing what comes out."

quote:

Engineer Martin Bisi claims the album began as a Sly and Robbie record but "Bill really took over... And then, before you know it, the record's done and they're staring at something that they don't recognize... suddenly [they] woke up and were like, 'This is not our record and we don't want it to come out with our name on it,' and Bill just ended up calling it a Material record, The Third Power."

quote:

He became a member of the band Last Exit in 1986 with Peter Brötzmann, Ronald Shannon Jackson, and Sonny Sharrock.[1] Aside from one album that Laswell cobbled together in the studio, the band was primarily a live one, showing up at gigs with no rehearsal. The first time the four members played together was on stage at their first show.

Anyhow, here's the Tokyo Rotation stuff I mentioned if anyone else wants to get weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkFnSPespbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFm_pUZLvCY

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Junpei posted:

Where do I start with Cake?

Fashion Nugget
Motorcade of Generosity is pretty good. Really, just listen to the first four albums. I think anything after Pressure Chief is boring.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 4, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Getting into Ween is a fuckin lifetime journey, it's like getting into the Dead. They don't have a "sound" other than "weird, dumb, obnoxious, and gross." The Mollusk and Chocolate and Cheese are pretty accessible, and 12 Golden Country Greats is hilarious as well. I think to get kind of an understanding though, some essential listening is GodWeenSatan and The Pod. They do really deserve a chronological discovery, which I wouldn't say about most bands. I liked individual songs here and there for a long time (Bananas and Blow, Ocean Man, Voodoo Lady, etc) but every time I'd try to listen to an album or let youtube auto play them, I'd be like "what the gently caress is this poo poo?" and go do something else. Then a friend of mine made me listen to some of their pre-Ween stuff and then the first three albums chronologically on a road trip and a lot of it started making sense.

The dudes are in their 50s and still making music to piss adults off, it's the greatest musical troll ever executed. I saw them at Red Rocks a few years ago, and both sets were super heavy, fuzzy, sludgy almost metal. A couple nights before, they played The Mollusk in its entirety in Portland, and that album is most definitely not heavy.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 4, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If you really want to get weird, the stuff they released in the 80s was supposedly written and recorded while they were into inhalants.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Franchescanado posted:

"Supposidely", lol.

I do like Ween's demos and lo-fi older stuff, though it's not the place to start.

Yeah, agreed, pretty much all of that stuff is just too... poo poo I don't know.

Here's a fan video for Your Party that I always chuckle at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33gQtW4ebZo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ExecuDork posted:

Cake and Ween... that's like 40% of my early 20's right here. But I need more of both. Gonna find some time to autoplay a long list of Ween sometime today.

What about Primus? I can’t separate them from Ween.
Also Paulo Baldi, who played drums for Cake, plays for Les Claypool a lot too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Junpei posted:

As a latecomer, I do have to admit I really liked the music she was making at around the same time as Kesha and Gaga... for the most part.

Like, I liked I Wanna Go and 'Til The World Ends and Hold It Against Me and Gimme More and Circus and Womanizer and so forth. I haven't listened to the albums they're from, but I still like them.

But don't listen to the will.i.am collab she did.

Womanizer is a fuckin jam

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Junpei posted:

Lenny Kravitz?

Mama Said

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lenny Kravitz is such a weird phenomenon to me, I think about this a lot. Everybody knows he exists, he shows up in movies, commercials, but I can't remember the last time I heard anything about his music. Maybe he played a super bowl? Nobody ever talks about his music, at least nobody I know or any of the radio I listen to. But at the same time, EVERYBODY knows who he is. He's like that guy who is at every party or gathering, nobody knows who invited him or when he showed up, but there he is, every time, and everyone is ok with it. Except it's pop culture instead of your friends circle.

It's probably mostly my pop culture myopia, though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over was a big single

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 16, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, seconding Tical.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Prefuse 73?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BigFactory posted:

I think he only has one full length album right? There’s one world extinguisher and then maybe an ep?

If there’s new stuff that would be cool cause I would like to hear it.

So I listened to a bunch of his stuff, including one world extinguisher, and came away loving vocal studies and uprock narratives. His sound is just so great but I can’t get into an album with 33 1:27 songs. gently caress, man, just stick to that groove for a little longer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Island Years

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Don’t skip early albums either. He was a smooth crooner who sang love songs, not yet the whiskey-mud gargling murder ballad raconteur that people generally first hear.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ultrafilter posted:

I thought about recommending chronological order but it takes too long to get to anything at all modern. It's not a bad approach once you know you're a fan, though.

Yeah, I couldn’t hold an interest in his earliest stuff until I’d been through all of his rowdy albums a bunch. I don’t know if the change was rapid or gradual, because I’m not a diehard fan and rarely listen to anything prior to Swordfishtrombones.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I remember when I first heard Tom Waits like it was this morning. I was riding around town with some new friends in college, probably drunk and stoned, in a really lovely car late at night. Hang On St. Christopher came on, and then Clap Hands, and then Black Rider. I was completely blown away and couldn't get enough of it. I'm pretty sure I convinced my friends to go to somebody's room with a computer and burn me a copy of the cd (The Island Years) before the night was up.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Minister of Sound posted:

Alison Krauss? I just listened to her two albums with Robert Plant and they were both dynamite.

Live with Union Station
She's on a couple tracks on O Brother Where Art Thou, which is also a good place to discover a few other excellent folk and bluegrass artists, women especially.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Minister of Sound posted:

I just listened to "Live" two times through. Amazing. Thanks for recommending! I'm a big fan of that soundtrack too, just never got around to checking out the artists.

I'm actually not a huge Alison Krauss fan, but her band on that album is pretty great. I know I've listened to a few of her other albums but always come back to that one. I have one that was put out on Cracker Barrel's record label, such as it is. It's called Home on the Highway and it's pretty good too.

If you like her, also check out Sara Jarosz, Aoife O'Donovan (solo or with Crooked Still), and Sarah Watkins (solo, Watkins Family Hour, or Nickel Creek). The three of them also have a project called I'm With Her, which is great.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BigFactory posted:

I think Gillian Welch is the best of the folk revival alt country folks, and one of the best singer songwriters of her generation. She’s pretty different from Allison Krauss but in the same orbit. I would suggest for her starting at the beginning and going forward (Revival, Hell Among The Yearlings), it makes Time the Revelator that much more special when you get to it.

Yeah, there is nothing in Gillian's catalog to sleep on. Also Dave Rawlings Machine, which is her and Dave playing Dave's music.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kvlt! posted:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

Chronologically or just fuckin anywhere because drat.

I like Polygondwanaland and Gumboot Soup personally.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah you can pretty much pick anywhere because they have so much stuff and it is all over the map musically and you're gonna get similar wide ranging answers. I prefer their earlier garage rockish sound so it's Fishing for Fishies, Teenage Gizzard, and maybe Willoughby Beach for me. My friend is all about the Microtonal Flying Banana album and whatever one had some song having to do with robots. Nonagon Infinity is the album that got them some sort of award so maybe start there?

Oh hey yeah, Microtonal Flying Banana is great. Is that the album that Rattlesnake is on? Check out that music video, it’s campy as gently caress.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Mountain Goats?

I feel like I'm supposed to at least know about them and understand them. The few tracks I've heard just sound a lot like Ben Gibbard, Ben Folds, Neutral Milk Hotel, etc.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Maybe it's just a frequency illusion, but I am suddenly seeing references to them everywhere, and always in the context of "here's some weird poo poo that sounds like a John Darnielle lyric," or "I think that's the first line of a Mountain Goats song." My musical interest never seems to focus on songwriting, but some of them stand out like The Decemberists, Corb Lund, or Aesop Rock. Actually the first place I ever heard Darnielle was on the Aesop Rock song Coffee. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll listen to those albums.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Franchescanado posted:

edit: the other thing I'd say is, like Randy Newman and Bob Dylan and other popular song-writers, Darnielle is always writing his songs from the perspectives of characters or like little short stories. They're never 1:1 POVs of the author.
I think this is what stands out to me about the songwriters I do like. Personal stories are ok here and there, but I find it hard to care after too many of them from one artist. Make up a character and tell me some funny or interesting poo poo to music.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

He was also on some of the Desert Sessions, which birthed a few QOTSA songs.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm constantly surprised at the high quality softer stuff coming from stoner/doom guys. Tony Reed has some solo acoustic stuff that is really nice to listen to as well.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fuuuuuuck. I never assumed he was a wonderful person but that’s next level lovely.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah Jesse went full chud

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:filez:

Used music/bookstores? My local place has acres of cds. I think there is still a pretty good market for used cds on amazon and eBay too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

How much do artists make if you just listen to their stuff on youtube? Like say I search Them Crooked Vultures and listen to the album as individual tracks in one of those Topics playlists? That’s how I mainly listen to stuff around the house or on my computer at work. Like yeah there’s some rando who’s uploaded the tracks to their personally account and haven’t gotten taken down yet, but there’s also a weird not the artist’s actual youtube account but still kind of official looking upload that maybe automatically spawned by the internet because enough people searched it? Idk how the internet and youtube work.

Like this:
https://youtu.be/iGWrO2KTBwA

Vs this:
https://youtu.be/jKvO-Vyh6Zg

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 7, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh and by the way, if you like Josh Homme’s music regardless of his shittiness, check out Kyuss. And if you like that, then there is a whole world of good desert rock out there you should dip into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Terminally Bored posted:

Including Desert Sessions (https://www.discogs.com/artist/283792-The-Desert-Sessions) where Homme played exactly that - jam sessions with various musicians. There are 12 volumes and you can hear some QOTSA songs in their demo forms there (Hangin' Tree, for example).

Yeah, the personnel list on the Desert Sessions is phenomenal. Pretty much all the desert rock guys but then PJ fuckin Harvey, Deaner, Twiggy Ramirez, Les Claypool and other great musicians.