Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

Gotcha, thanks for giving info everyone. I was curious if there was something especially unique about her sound production or choreography or something like that, but it's still an interesting slice of pop-culture history that she was the media star before the internet became super mainstream. I'll check her out more, but I'm glad to know there's not anything technique-wise or macro-culturally I'm missing out on.

I think she was one of the first big stars that Max Martin wrote songs for and he's one of the most dominant pop songwriting figures of the past 20 years, so that might interest you as much as Britney herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

I thought it was his production more than his songwriting which... wasn't all that great considering he's Swedish and thus his English grasp isn't that great (see: the whole debacle about Hit Me Baby One More Time being about masochism/abuse when he meant "hit me on the phone")

Songwriting is also about melody and arrangement. Pop music lyrics are secondary anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My very first concert was Aerosmith with Lenny Kravitz opening. I have never met a fan of his.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

King Diamond?

Abigail and "Them." And yeah if you haven't listened to Mercyful Fate...rectify that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't listened to either so I'll start with MF. Thanks everyone!

For what it’s worth, they’re pretty different approaches to heavy metal. The Denner/Shermann guitar style is quite dissimilar to Andy LaRocque’s, and while MF is song-oriented every KD release is a concept album. So if you aren’t into MF you might still like KD or vice versa (as long as the turnoff isn’t King himself).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

Top three albums of The Who to start with?

Who's Next, Quadrophenia, The Who Sell Out (Tommy is better but two rock operas out of three is a bit much)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The movie sucks. The album is great when taken as a whole but large chunks of it don't work as individual tracks, unlike Quadrophenia which is almost all bangers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Raekwon’s Only Built 4 Cuban Linx for RZA production; Mobb Deep’s The Infamous for a similar grimy feeling.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
“Smooth and groovy” has kind of been the name of the game with Mastodon since their “sellout” period starting with The Hunter. Emperor of Sand is my favorite of this era of Mastodon albums and not a bad place to start. However, I will also quote my default Mastodon advice from four years ago:

Henchman of Santa posted:

start with Blood Mountain, go backward if you prefer the aggressive tracks and forward if you prefer the proggier ones

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hexwren posted:

I occasionally run across the name Flipper in relation to other bands I like. What's step one?

Album: Generic Flipper or whatever it’s called. I could never get into them but Sex Bomb is a pretty great track.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ohms was an incredible return to form. There are very few bad places to start with Deftones but you might as well go with the universally acclaimed White Pony.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I assumed Eagles of Death Metal stopped doing stuff after the infamous terrorist shooting, but maybe Jesse Hughes is distancing himself from Homme. At least I hope so.

What's funny(?) is that Jesse Hughes was always the guy that came off as the bigger shithead of the two.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Interesting. I picked up AM at the beginning of my music project for my nephew and both my wife and I really like it. I've been meaning to get more Arctic Monkeys, this gives me an excuse.

Not strictly a music question, but does anyone have any recommendations for books about the music industry or being a musician, told by musicians? I like reading about how some people move between different bands or different roles, and how a singer might end up being a producer for another band (Josh Homme, I'm sure there are others - didn't Trent Reznor produce several albums for others?) or how a drummer becomes a singer (Dave Grohl, Phil Collins).

David Byrne's "How Music Works" is a must-read.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't have time atm but Primus are my favorite band and I will make a more detailed post later. But certainly start with Seas of Cheese and Frizzle Fry.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's the studio album rundown for Primus:

Frizzle Fry - Their most accessible album and one where their metal roots shine through. My personal favorite. I believe Les exclusively plays a four string on it. John the Fisherman is from this.

Sailing the Seas of Cheese - The most well-known, with Jerry Was a Race Car Driver and Tommy the Cat. Lighter and more experimental than FF.

Pork Soda - The darkest Primus album. A bit hit or miss but with high highs. You've probably heard My Name Is Mud.

Tales From the Punchbowl - The last of the classic era and most overlooked/underrated. Similar to Seas of Cheese. Wynona's Big Brown Beaver can be found here.

Brown Album - Bryan Mantia replaces Herb on drums. I don't like this one outside of a couple songs.

Antipop - Last before their hiatus. A lot of metal influences and guest appearances. Very 1999 sounding in many ways. Mostly for diehards.

Green Naugahyde - Brings OG, pre-fame drummer Jay Lane into the fold. Jam bandy vibes. Hit or miss.

Primus and the Chocolate Factory - A lame novelty, skip it

The Desaturating Seven - If you're coming from a King Crimson fan perspective this is honestly a great listen. By far their most overtly proggy album even though it's only half an hour. Herb is back on drums.

Related bands:

Les Claypool solo: Experiments with unconventional backing instruments. Of Whales and Woe is good.

Frog Brigade: Their lone studio album is wackier than most Primus. It's pretty good. The live albums are all covers of other Claypool projects, King Crimson and Pink Floyd (including all of Animals).

Sausage: Very similar to Primus, featuring the 80s members. Only one album.

Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains: a supergroup with Buckethead and Bernie Worrell. Only one album if that appeals to you.

Oysterhead: A supergroup with Trey Anastasio and Stewart Copeland. Much more tolerable than Phish.

Duo de Twang: Weird banjo poo poo, mostly covers.

Claypool-Lennon Delirium: Decent psych rock with Sean Lennon.

Blind Illusion: The Sane Asylum is a tech-thrash gem with Les and Ler on it. Nothing like the music the two of them became famous for.

Possessed: Seven Churches is the very first death metal album and has a teenage Larry Lalonde on guitar. A classic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can’t go wrong with Houdini or Bullhead.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

I just listened to Porcupine Tree for the first time, specifically the song .3, and the bass is so darn groovy, I love it. They've been around awhile, yeah? What are the best entry points for a new listener, or what kind of eras do they have?

Early era is sort of Pink Floyd worship. They begin to develop their own prog/alt rock sound with Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun/In Absentia, then take on a pronounced metal influence on Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. In Absentia is probably the best at capturing all of their different approaches (and coincidentally is what .3 is from). I’d say it and Deadwing are their best releases as well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
By nature of being comedy music every album is really scattershot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I feel like that's true for a lot of his songs. I personally have heard a lot of his parodies before I ever heard the original.

He's an introductory artist for so many people. Hearing Genius in France at age 11 was a very different experience from hearing it as an adult Frank Zappa fan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

In Absentia probably gives you the best overall scope of their sound, but you can't fo wrong with anything from Lightbulb Sun through Fear of a Blank Planet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Misfits?

Static Age or Walk Among Us. Not sure I've ever heard anything more than tepidly positive about the post-Danzig stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

He only has two albums. Ready to Die is by far the better one though Live After Death has some major hits.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jailbreak is their best and has the big hits, but you can't go wrong with any album from 1975-79.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

I listened to Run The Jewels 4 and HOLY poo poo THIS GOES HARD. What order should I listen to the previous 3 in? And Killer Mike and El-P's solo work, too

You can listen to them in any order, but my personal ranking would be 2/1/3. Then listen to R.A.P. Music, which was the Killer Mike album that El-P produced, leading to RTJ’s existence. All three El-P albums are also great but have a very different vibe. It’s weird to listen to Fantastic Damage and think that a decade or so later this guy would get significantly more famous doing goofball rhymes about his dick with a guy who pops up on Outkast albums. Those records are less “drat this goes hard” and more “drat this world is a cruel and brutal place.”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Psalm 69 if you want what they're famous for.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

Okay my alt rock station playing "Wild Child" and "Beautiful People Stay High" has officially made me curious about The Black Keys

For their original run as a raw two-piece blues rock act, Rubber Factory. For their more full-band sound, Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

Related to the Peter Gabriel thread that showed up a couple days ago, I've been feeling the urge to get into Gabriel-era Genesis lately; only exposure I've had was giving Lamb Lies Down on Broadway a listen or two way back in college. Not opposed to listening to Collins-era Genesis either, but my prog sensibilities have me erring towards the early years.

Selling England by the Pound is my favorite all-around one. A Trick of the Tail is Collins era but still doing the Gabriel sound fyi.