Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Appalachian Stomp is a very good starter. My father used to play it often when I was growing up, and it gave me an appreciation for bluegrass. It's not available on Spotify, but all the songs are, so you can make a custom playlist. There were two CDs in the series. It will give you a good foundation, it has a lot of the big names, and will give you something to explore. Also, that page will give you a lot of other recommendations.

Earl Scruggs pretty much redefined how to play the banjo with "Scruggs style", so if you enjoy the banjo, that's the man to go to. He was also in the influential Flatt & Scruggs duet.

The Dillards were pretty famous. They made a few appearances as the silent Darling Boys on the Andy Griffith show.

A more obvious choice would be the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack. If you haven't seen the movie, do so. The soundtrack is a mix of old folk/bluegrass and modern renditions of classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zesty Mordant posted:

Start at This is a Long Drive, if you don't like it keep going until you do, if you do like it keep going until you don't.

This is the best advice. They don't really have a bad album, but start at the beginning to see how they evolve (there really aren't that many albums). When they started, their songs were sprawling and full of minute variations of the riffs. Each album, the songs get a little more concise, with the apex at The Moon & Antarctica. Then Good News, which still has a lot of great songs, is almost kind of poppy, based more around hooks than anything.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

Sorry if it's been asked a lot but The Mountain Goats??

For a shorter list: Nine Black Poppies, All Hail West Texas, Nothing For Juice for lo-fi and We Shall All Be Healed, All Eternals Deck or Transcendental Youth for newer material with full band.

Pick a lo-fi album and sit with it. Get used to his songwriting/storytelling style. Move to another album when you want more.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well, even concept albums have singles. It's just good marketing for selling albums/mp3s, and a guaranteed crow-pleaser at live shows. Also, each single brings in new fans.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also Nothing For Juice and Nine Black Poppies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Citizen Rat posted:

I am certain that this has been asked before, but the subject is overwhelming to me. But where do I start with modern jazz? Went to some clubs that presented themselves as "modern jazz" when in Moscow and really enjoyed it, but I've been having problems finding something similar in the States.

The biggest push I had with jazz was the 100 Best of Blue Note collection. It's 100 songs of different types of Jazz, concentrating on the greats, and is wonderfully balanced with Classic and Modern. You can find the list with a quick Google search.

AllMusic is has some helpful lists, and Spotify has curated Jazz playlists that are great and concentrate on any sub-genre you can think of.

The trick is to just dive in and listen. I like compilations because I will always find at least one piece that really hits home with me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with Phish? I'm a huge Grateful Dead/jam band fan in general but never really got into them.

The Analyze Phish podcast.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with Phish? I'm a huge Grateful Dead/jam band fan in general but never really got into them.

I feel partially to blame that you didn't get a better recommendation, so I will try to actually help.

Please note, I'm relatively new to Phish, so hopefully someone else can also help.

I think it's important to learn the "standards" as a foundation, that way you can see what they bring to a live show. Much like how a newbie to the Grateful Dead should listen to American Beauty and Workingman's Dead before Europe '72.

For the standards, go with A Picture of Nectar and Junta. (If you like the studio sound, you can expand to Lawn Boy or Rift.)

After those two studios, it's time to try them live. The two shows that finally clicked for me were A Live One or April 4th, '98 (which is part of the '98 Island Tour).

Then you should check out Big Cypress.

Then:
Listen to Billy Breathes, Story of the Ghost, and Farmhouse
Check out 15 Must Hear Phish Shows for Novice's
Listen to Analyze Phish.

If you have Spotify, send me a PM and I will send you a playlist of songs from Analyze Phish.

Have phun!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

Can anyone shed light on Devendra Banhart? He has a pretty large discography and it sounds like they are pretty diverse.

I first heard the track Sea Horse and really liked it. Then I checked out some other tracks and found a lot of variety.

Depends on what style you're interested in.

Lo-Fi Singer Songwriter? You probably want Nino Rojo, but I have a soft spot for quite a few songs on The Black Babies, which is very experimental. If you like the latter, you can work your way up to Nino Rojo and all the EPs.

Polished Studio Sound? You're best off with Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon, or maybe Cripple Crow. If you like this sound, you can pretty much keep on through his recent output.

Silly/Weird/Absurd Rock and Roll? You can't go wrong with collaboration album with Gregory Rogove under the name Megapuss, which is how I found out about him.

The dude's pretty weird, so if you like him, you like him, but he's pretty hit and miss, especially the early albums where he's just experimenting with recording, guitar, and lyrics.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

screenwritersblues posted:

Where do I start with Sia? I recently just back into pop and I actually dig her sound. Also Future too.

Weirdly enough, I'd say watch her music videos and see which songs jump out at you, then get the albums they belong to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

The Ex had a sense of humor whereas Godspeed did not. The crescendo structure in that track is similar though. Both are excellent bands.

On topic, a million dollar question: Captain Beefheart. Heard Safe As Milk and parts of Trout Mask, both sound like white man's approach of marrying blues with prog. I like the cabaret stuff like early Roxy M or Gong but CB does nothing to me. Is there any other good starting point?

Word of advice: Beefheart isn't a one-and-done listen, not really. It takes a few listens for it to click, so if you really are interested, give the album a few play-throughs before disregarding them.

Safe As Milk is pretty accessible Beefheart, so if you don't like that, odds aren't great. Try Strictly Personal (more like Milk), or Lick My Decals Off Baby (more like Trout)

If you like the idea of Prog-Blues, then his album Mirror Man might be your thing.

The Spotlight Kid or Clear Spot are probably going to be the most accessible for you, though, and were later in his career.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

It absolutely is, just wanted to give his music another chance. I'm on a big The Fall kick lately and MES idolized Beefheart so

If reading about what goes into the album interests you, you should find Frank Zappa's account of producing Trout Mask Replica.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'll add Wu-Tang's first album as essential listening. That opened up the doors for me

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

How about starting with Bowie? Late last year, I bought The Man Who Saved The World because I really liked the track 'Saviour Machine', but I haven't tried any of his other stuff (of course, I know about Golden Years and Changes).

I'm a huge Beatles fan, and I've gotta say: Bowie is interesting. His music contains a lot of unexpected chord changes and flourishes. Very few of his songs go in the direction you were necessarily expecting.

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars
Hunky Dory

Then you can spread out into Aladdin Sane (kind of like a more experimental Ziggy; I know quite a few people who declare this as their favorite), Young Americans (very soulful R&B), Low, and Heroes. They each have a different feel, and Young Americans and Heroes are the poppier of that batch. After that, you'll have a clear idea of what eras you want to go into. (Bowie got very weird in the 80's).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Llyr posted:

Thank you people for the previous help!
Where do I start with John Prine

Prime Prine is a good compilation of the high points of his career. For albums, the first two are essential and you can just continue chronologically.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LargeHadron posted:

Any recommendations for Daniel Johnston besides Hi How Are You and 1990? I like those albums a lot. Where should I go next?

FUN. It's the best Daniel Johnston album.

You should probably just watch The Devil and Daniel Johnston.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Where's good for Thee Oh Sees/Oh Sees?

Carrion Crawler / The Dream
Help
Floating Coffin
Mutilator Defeated At Last

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I took a recommendation from someone on another forum and listened to Over-nite Sensation. Takeaways:

- pretty dang good. I really dug Fifty-fifty

- Mike Patton was HUGELY influenced by Zappa. Most of this stuff sounds like Mr Bungle or the more avant-garde parts of Angel Dust

Apostrophe is always paired with Over-Nite Sensation, so I'd check that one out. Then definitely check out Hot Rats for a taste of his instrumentals and jazz. Or if you want more like Over-Nite and Apostrophe, go for Shiek Yerbouti.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

You're pretty much safe to start with Dirty Mind ('80) and then go chronologically until Lovesexy ('88).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can I get a listening order for getting into Bjork and her various bands? I've never really dived into her stuff, so I'd kinda like to know which albums to jump into first without just going chronologically. If there's stuff to avoid, lemme know what those are too?

If it helps, my favorite song of hers, and the one that inspired this post, is "Birthday" by The Sugar Cubes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

Ironically, that's the general recommendation with Bjork. The early stuff (Debut and Post) is more focused and she kinda spirals out into various styles from there.

Glare Seethe posted:

Life's Too Good is the best Sugarcubes album and a very good place to start with them. For Bjork's solo career I think Post or Homogenic are good starting points, the former is the easier listen but the latter is her actual best album in my opinion (and a masterpiece frankly). Debut is fun but maybe a little dated as it leans a bit too much on the 90s dance sound.

Incidentally I've been on a Bjork kick myself the last week and Volta is a lot better than I remembered it being. It's not her best work by any means but there is some good stuff there. I feel like it might be underrated?

Alright, then chronologically it is, with an emphasis on those albums. Thanks, friends.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Calypso music? Totally new to the genre so hit me with the classics and/or people and groups you really like!

Harry Belafonte and David Rudder are the two biggest names. A meaty compilation is really all you need for either, though they have a lot of great hidden gems if you want to dig in. There's also Mighty Sparrow, and you've almost certainly heard some songs by David Johansen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

I really like Talking Heads but I've never looked too much into David Byrne's solo work. Where do I start with that?

Rei-Momo is my favorite. From there, Uh-Oh feels like a continuation of Talking Heads 'Naked'. Look into the Eyeball after that. Then Love This Giant > Feelings > American Utopia > Grown Backwards > David Byrne ('94)

Life in the Bush with Ghosts is the one I'm least familiar with, so I'll withhold opinion on it.

I do like his orchestral work for film and theater, though I prefer The Forest to The Last Emporer.

Ras Het's right, though. While every album has at least two or three songs I fully love, some of it may fall flat for you.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

Post-Beatles McCartney?

McCartney > Ram > Wild Life >Red Rose Speedway > Band on the Run is a seriously solid run of albums.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Where do I start with Elvis Costello? I listened to Pump It Up, which I liked.

Start with My Aim Is True and work chronologically until you get to Punch The Clock. Those seven albums are pretty much the best part of his career.

He changed his sound and production values in the 80's, but King of America, Blood & Chocolate, and Spike are still liked a lot.

I'll leave someone else to recommend specific albums from the 90's and 2000's to listen to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

The only B-52s songs I've listened to are Love Shack and Rock Lobster, is there anything else worth listening to?

Yeah. There's at least 4 solid albums to listen to: their eponymous album, Wild Planet, Whammy! and Cosmic Thing. You could listen to those chronologically and then do a deeper dive like hexwren suggests.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

screaden posted:

How about Dr John? I really enjoyed Locked Down when it came out but never thought to check out anything else

If you wanna dive straight into his most accessible peak, then In The Right Place is the perfect start.

The Dr. John era that Dan Auerbach was mostly interested in trying to capture with Locked Down was from the late 60's to the mid 70's. Here are the highlights from this era:

Gris-Gris > The Sun, Moon & Herbs > Dr John's Gumbo > In The Right Place > Desitively Bonnaroo

Gris-Gris is psychedelic voodoo funk, and has a darker sound and feel. As he progresses towards In The Right Place, the darkness lightens up and he gets funkier and more playful in a New Orleans rock & roll style.

If you like what you hear, you can listen to the other albums he released in this era, or keep moving forward chronologically from there.

:rip: Dr. John. You were an excellent concert experience.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Where do I start ... Bruce Springsteen?

Two ways you can go about it:

If you want to jump right into an amazing album, then Born To Run is my answer, with the 2nd best option being Born in the USA. Then I'd say go back and listen to his other albums from that era.

The preferred/best way would be to go through 1973-1987 chronologically, from Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ to Tunnel of Love. That's a run of 8 albums; plenty of variety but without compromising quality.

If you'd rather have a one-stop peek, The Essential Bruce Springsteen is fine, but it's missing some of my favorite songs, like "Backstreets".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Was Kraftwerk too obvious a choice for a place to start with Kraut Rock? I've always thought of them as the poster child of the genre. Autobahn, The Man-Machine and Computer World are great.

But yeah, Can and NEU are awesome.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

Townes Van Zandt?

For the Sake of the Song > Our Mother the Mountain > Delta Momma Blues > the rest of his '68 - '72 albums.

Live at the Old Quarter is a great live album.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Personally, I love the early stuff, when he sang like a human. The songs from "Closing Time" and "The Heart of Saturday Night" are fantastic.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Rain Dogs is probably my go to starting point. It has a mix of singer songwriter Tom (Time), psycho jazz Tom (Cemetery Polka), and even a massive Rod Stewart hit - Downtown Train.

From there, go with Swordfishtrombones if you like the psycho stuff, or Paul Young (he covered Soldier's Things). Or check out Small Change if you want something more singer songwriter like. Also, Nighthawks at the Diner is hilarious and is worth it even if you don't like the songs.

Mule Variations is also another decent place to go. It's a great album.

I'd say these are the perfect place to start. Plus "Blue Valentine". "Bone Machine" if you want more of the experimental abrasive stuff.

Closing Time is a perfect album. Mule Variations is my 2nd favorite. Rain Dogs is 3rd favorite.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

That whole album (Permission to Land) is just wall to wall bangers, and very much work checking out in full.

Agreed. I'm always a little frustrated that everyone cites "I Believe In A Thing Called Love", when the next track, "Love Is Only A Feeling" is the superior track. It feels like a cover of a lost Queen song.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Did Cee Lo Green do anything besides gently caress You that's solid?

Gnarls Barkely's "St. Elsewhere" and "The Odd Couple"
First two Goodie Mob albums
His first solo album "Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections" is pretty cool. A lot of people prefer the follow-up, "Cee-Lo Green Is The Soul Machine".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

PJ Harvey?

Dry , Rid of Me , To Bring You My Love for the 90's rock. Then I'd jump forward to Let England Shake, which is less rock-oriented, but with more interesting production, and stronger lyrics and more haunting imagery.

I sent you a few songs from Dry and Rid of Me back when we were CineD horror discord regulars, so those may seem familiar.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fart store posted:

If I love Amoreena and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, what other Elton John poo poo should I give a chance?

Specific songs? "Levon", for sure. "Daniel", "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" and "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me".

Albums? Either Madman Across The Sea, or a greatest hits compilation (Greatest Hits 1970-2002 seems perfect).

fart store posted:

Also I love the beginning of Monkey Man by Rolling Stones while hating most everything else by the stones, including Monkey Man after the vocals start.

You might like their album Tattoo You.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

I always liked Wyclef cover and heavily sampling songs. Wish you were here and the gambler are my sort of thing. I guess you could try those out and see if you enjoy Wyclef sans Fugees?

Serious question, are there any ska-heads who might help.

Where do I start with Smash Mouth?
I know Walking on the Sun and All Star but there are like seven albums.

I've never really heard Smash Mouth described as ska, but

Just the first two albums or their greatest hits "All Star Smash Hits" and that's it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I know no one's requested this, but I've had two separate friends ask me for a playlist to get them into The Beatles.

So I've made a 50+ song playlist mostly of lesser-known songs and deeper cuts (without being too insular) with a few of the big recognizable hits to balance it out.

"Beatles Sold" on YouTube playlist and here is "Beatles Sold" on Spotify

Hope it helps anyone too afraid to ask.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Not bad, but it needs 100% more "Baby You're a Rich Man" and "Rain"

You know what. You're right and they've been added.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

hatelull posted:

Without cheating and simply posting the entire medley from Abbey Road, I think “You Never Give Me Your Money” and “Carry That Weight” are sorely lacking in your list.

You Never Give Me Your Money is for-sure on there, but I’ll add Carry That Weight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

I like that you stashed Maxwell's Silver Hammer in there like a landmine to troll both the thread and your friends.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is one of the better "Paul McCartney jokey playful 'kids' songs". It's weirdly dark for the tone, and it fits in well after the playfulness of Sgt. Pepper -> With A Little Help From My Friends. Also the synth is oddly ahead of it's time.

It was either that or Rocky Raccoon, and I chose Maxwell.