Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I've been searching off and on for something very specific for years but the problem is that I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Every now and again the Dillinger Escape Plan puts these really awesome jazzy interludes into their songs and I would like to find more music like that. This is what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEDlO-jRNZo&t=86s

^^ runs until ~2:06 ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkhoaBLQ6go&t=149s

^^ runs until ~3:29 ^^

Is there a sub-genre of jazz that goes lighter on the brass (vocals and/or keyboard/piano would be OK) but retains the technical mastery that jazz (and DEP) is known for? If so, what is it called and where do I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Toe Rag posted:

Have you ever listened to Cynic?

Thanks for the recommendation.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Are you looking for jazz fusion perhaps?

Listened to part of Mahavishnu Orchestra's first album and liked what I heard so far, thanks! Side note, I recognize Billy Cobham's name from being an influence on a lot of my favorite drummers so it's cool to hear some of his stuff.

Attitude Indicator posted:

try Jaga Jazzist. They're a jazz ensemble which dips into different genres with each album. They have some brass instruments, but they don't really take centre stage, except on some songs. They also don't have Coltrane style ten minute long soloes in their songs. Actually, everyone should try Jaga, they're amazing.

*video snip*

This sounds great and I think I could really get it into it. What is your favorite album of theirs?

screaden posted:

Fox capture plan maybe?

*video snip*

This sounds great too!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

If you want to check out their noise rock-y side, start with Get Color and then move backwards to their self-titled if you want more. If you want to check out their more pop-but-heavier stuff then start with Death Magic and move on to Vol 4. Those are just the studio albums. They've done remix albums, video game soundtracks, and one-off collaborations with other artists, all of which hold some of their best stuff.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Where should I go next with Melvins if all I've ever really listened to is Houdini and my favorite tracks from it are the ultra sludgy ones like Night Goat and Joan of Arc?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Kvlt! posted:

Gluey Porch Treatments if you like really sludgey melvins. They're sludgiest album by far.

Both of these are great, thanks for the recs. Also I know they are hugely influential, but the influence is more easily identified in some songs than others. Straight line from It's Shoved on Bullhead to Nirvana's sound of the time.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Where do I continue with Jimmy Eat World? I own Static Prevails, Clarity, and Bleed American. To give an idea of what I like about them for those that are familiar, I think Clarity is probably the best album of those three, but Static Prevails is my favorite, and Bleed American has some bangers on it.

I guess more straightforward questions would be, out of the albums that followed those three, are there any that carry the mid- to late-90s emo sound forward? Did they stick with the two guitarists switching off or doubling up on singing duty? There are a lot of albums after the ones I have and I'm not sure which ones I'll like and which ones I won't.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I got to Pink by Boris on my Spotify playlist tonight after seeing it recommended more than a few times in this thread and I'm kicking myself for not listening to it before now. Blackout is one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard, so loving dirty and meaty.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I would agree that starting with Around the Fur is a good idea, but I would argue that Koi No Yokan was their last great album and their last two were just ok.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Start with any late 80s to early 90s studio album and go from there. Gluey Porch Treatments, Ozma, Bullhead, Lysol, Houdini

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I've been trying to listen to more jazz lately. I've found that I like music that is focused on the piano, saxophone, and/or drums, so I've listened to things by Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, and Buddy Rich. What are the key albums by these artists? Where should I branch out to from there based on the artists I listed? I know "jazz" is a huge subject but any direction would be appreciated.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Thanks all. I added Blue Train, A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things, Giant Steps, Ellington Uptown, Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins, Time Out , Kind of Blue, and Mingus Ah Um to my playlist of things to listen to. That should last me for a while.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

BigFactory posted:

Get Money Jungle!

I have actually listened to Money Jungle already, and it was one of the albums that led me to post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In addition to the albums already listed for Charles Mingus, check out Money Jungle which has Duke Ellington on piano and Max Roach on drums.

For Thelonious Monk, some of the big ones that haven't been mentioned yet are Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1 and 2, Brilliant Corners, and Monk's Dream.

owl_pellet fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 29, 2024