Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just got engaged 3 weeks ago, starting to talk about the wedding which won't happen till next year (april or later) and holy crap is this overwhelming.

What the gently caress did I do to myself and my bank account :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I don't get anxiety often, but when I do, it's when I think about wedding stuff.

We're moving along nicely in our planning, we've decided to do our wedding in belize. We've picked the place we're going to stay at for the ceremony, it's on Ambergris Caye (island), and we're ironing out the details on that. We're also trying to nail down a place that we're going to stay at for 3-5 days before going to the island to do vacation stuff on the mainland, a bunch of our guests will be going to this as well.

I kind of wish I could do courthouse and then go to Europe for 4-6 weeks, it would probably cost half as much. I floated that idea a few weeks ago and I'm fairly certain if my fiancee's eyes were daggers I'd have a few hundred stab wounds right now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Koivunen posted:

My dress came in a couple weeks ago. I went to try it on and it is WAY too small. I could barely get it past my hips and there is not enough fabric to let it out. They had measured me as a size 4, but the actual dress measures like a size 0. So, with less than two months to go, they will be calling around to find the same dress in a size 8. If they can find one, it would arrive the last week of June, leaving all of ONE WEEK to get the cap sleeves made and have it tailored.

This whole wedding planning process has been pretty stress-free until now. All the decorations are DIY and done and they turned out super cool. I have some talented friends who are are doing the cake, the flowers, the officiating, and the photography, and I trust all that will turn out great. There's not a whole lot left to do, so I'm stressing bad about the dress. I just don't get what happened, I weigh exactly the same as I did in December, the dress says it's a 4 but the measurements don't match up. I feel super fat too even though I know nothing has changed.

Anyway my question is, since the re-sized dress will technically be a floor model and the timeline is cut so short by no fault of my own, should I be asking for some kind of a discount? The dress is about $900 and so far I've paid half.

I would raise a poo poo-fit, they clearly hosed it up, get some money back or something.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

tom kite posted:

Is it bad form to ask for contributions from guests to a honeymoon fund instead of gifts? Fiancee and I have absolutely no use for in kind gifts via a registry so she wants to set up a gofundme type site for the honeymoon, but I have this impression its bad manners.

Nah it's not bad form imo, I've heard of a bunch of people doing that now and one of my friends did as well. I think it's typically older generations and younger ones that follow old ways that see it as bad manners. I had a friend ask for money for different things on their honeymoon, like $500 gave them a couples spa day etc, obviously 500 was not expected from a single person, but people chipped in what they could. My friend and his fiancee had bought a house together already, fully furnished it, and had all the stuff they needed, so it would have been a waste to get regular gifts.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Destination wedding is slightly over 4 months away, I'm feeling fine, fiancee is freaking the gently caress out; had to talk her off the ledge yesterday because she broke the gently caress down.

She does not deal with stress well at all.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

black.lion posted:

Well I did it y'all, I bought the metal circle with a rock in it. Rock is murder-free, thanks Brilliant Earth for keeping my conscience clean!!!

Starting to think about how to pawp the question; tell me your sweet saccharine stories of proposals to give me ideas!!!

I did it Christmas morning, my fiancee and I live together, but we've never done stocking stuffing, so I stuffed the ring in there and did a thing; it was less awesome than I had imagined but she liked it and said yes, so yay?

Just find somewhere not near a dumpster and say something not goony; it'll work, trust me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Was at a wedding this weekend, the officiant spoke the bride's name incorrectly the whole time, and it was extremely painful. Her name is not a weird name, her name is Christina and the officiant kept saying Christine

That poo poo better not happen at my wedding or there will be death.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 18, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

legendof posted:

Newbie question (I'm engaged and not terribly far into planning), how do most (non-religious) people pick their officiants? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're obligated to get the official marriage license from a judge in a court house, and then the person doing the talking at your wedding can be anyone you like.

E: also it's really easy to become ordained as a priest online, maybe all the people whose weddings are officiated by friends have had those friends get ordained?

Yes, my one friend got ordained and officiated like 3 other people's weddings, I was going to have my oldest brother officiate our wedding, but he can't make it :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Leaving for our destination wedding in 7 days as of today, we're getting married in.. 13 days. Not sure if it has really set in yet that it's about to happen.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

8 hours till we head to atlanta and then 45 minutes to haul rear end to our flight for belize, wedding is in 7 days, holy gently caress finally.

poo poo better go right or I'm going to explode, so much planning for this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Got married, it went very well, it rained for about 30 minutes but that helped cool it off.

11/10 would get married in paradise again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I started my registry, which of course means I spent 4 hours last night reading reviews and rankings of towel and bed linen reviews because I apparently smoke way too much weed after work. What are you kids asking wedding santa for?

I went to bed bath and beyond and scanned poo poo until my eyes bled, then scanned more, also my wife scanned things, we got more things she scanned including like some $200 steamer WE HAVEN'T loving USED WHY THE gently caress DID SHE SCAN IT ARGH

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Used Minted for our wedding website, only about 1/3 of the people actually used it and maybe 1/2 of them (so probably 1/6) actually understood the concept of multiple pages/tabs, then we used a combination of Zazzle/Minted for save the dates, invitations and thank yous. Zazzle had deals going on so I think we did invitations through them, I believe save the dates as well (I think we bought them all at the same time), and then thank yous came from Minted because they had some promo going on. We did a destination wedding though so that's why ours was a bit more complex wrt the webstie.

Minted was ok, the website was easy since you're just filling forms, my wife did the thank you portion though; for Zazzle my aunt did the designs of both the save the dates and the invitations so I don't have much input there, but I'd look around there as well because they have promos running a lot.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Any thoughts on how many days we should take off immediately before or after the wedding? Getting married on a saturday in march at a place maybe 2 miles from where we live. We are definitely taikng off the Friday before for setup, but besides that I dont think there is any time we need to take off for?

I would recommend an extra day beforehand as well as the Monday off, but that's me, it wasn't a lot of stress but the last minute stuff and the event itself wore me the gently caress out.

Plus it will be nice to hang as a married couple for a day or two afterwards and just relax.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

How do you present the idea of a destination wedding to people? We want to go get married somewhere else regardless but obviously having friends and family along would be nice.

If you've already decided you're going to do it, then just say that, don't be wishy washy about it; also give people plenty of notice about where you're planning on going and the dates.

We did a destination wedding, a few notes:

1) The wedding will end up being small, we knew it would be, invited about 50 and expected half that, which is roughly what we got.
2) If you REALLY REALLY want someone there, be prepared to offer them some assistance
3) Be prepared for folks to have opinions on your choice of destination/the fact that you are having a destination wedding, many of those opinions will not be nice and can in fact be hurtful.
4) If you want people to come for more than just the wedding have things planned
- Our wedding was in Belize, we wanted it to be a vacation for everyone, so we went for 10 days, some of our friends stayed most of the time so we rented a house that we could all fit in and planned different events like going to Mayan sites, SCUBA/Snorkeling etc etc. obviously this will be specific to what you want/where you go
5) People are loving lazy and REALLY REALLY bad at planning, it will be very helpful for you to give them concrete dates ASAP and also if you can help them by giving them rough costs for everything (flights, food etc) so they can budget/plan.
6) Remember that some folks you want to go just won't be able to; have fun and try not to sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

We used Minted for both invitations and wedding website iirc (been 4 years) and it was fine/good.