Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SKULE123 posted:

Hey, I'm trying to figure out groomsmen gifts for a wedding in late June. Anyone have wicked or unique ideas beyond cufflinks, humidors, and flasks? I have a pretty large wedding party, including a groomswoman.

Thanks for any ideas: most groom's sites offer pretty stock suggestions, but I figure someone on here would have some "holy poo poo that's awesome" ideas. Etsy suggestions welcome, although my searching for wedding/groom items was sort of a wash.

The guy I was a groomsman for got everyone a Boos Block Specifically, the B12S non-reversible, linked below. They're engraved (looks like wood burning) on one side, so I remember where I got it when I cut my veggies every day.

http://www.johnboos.com//STOREFRONT/IMAGES/B12S.JPG - tried to upload it on waffleimages, but it doesn't seem to be loading for some reason. URL it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

How does one go about insuring an engagement ring? Should I just talk to the people I'm buying renter's insurance from, or are there specific companies, or what?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

She said yes. No great surprise, considering we've been dating for so long, but :3:.

On the other hand, her parents are from families of 8 and 9. Limiting just to aunts, uncles, and first cousins results in about 200 people for her side alone, no family friends. This is gonna be fun. :gonk:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

JohnnyRnR posted:

This is why it's important to have a jewelry guy that you can trust and speak openly with and get honest answers. Admittedly I'm a little biased on that front.

This really can't be stressed enough. I knew the guy who I bought my diamond from for years, and he took me into his office with a microscope to show me inclusions, give me an idea about the stones relative to one another. He spent probably at least 3 hours with me going over a small handful of diamonds that he wasn't going to make a huge profit on, and I felt great about the purchase.

And after looking at comparable stones from online sellers, I feel better. :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

SWATJester posted:

I did this for 3 years while in law school, while my fiancee was at a different school in a different state. It's completely doable if your communication is extremely good.

Hey, what's up split-up-by-law-school buddy. My fiance just got done, I've got one year left; we'll be planning while I'm finishing up. Luckily, she has some time before her job starts, so one of us can actually devote a lot of attention to the thing.

hennypenny posted:

I have what may be a silly question: where do normal people get married?

Are any close family members country club members? Otherwise, check out historic sites in the place you're in. In St. Louis, there are all sorts of publicly owned, outdoor spaces that can be rented for purposes like this. I'm getting married in a Cathedral, though, so I'm not sure about prices. Seems like, being public, they'd be cheaper than private options.

Which actually brings me to my question. I'm not baptized, she is, we're getting a catholic wedding. Obviously we're both more than okay with the situation, and I'm relatively comfortable in the structure of a mass (I've been attending church with her family semi-regularly for a couple years now). But, I'd appreciate someone to talk to who's been in the same situation as me, just so I know what to expect with pre-cana, what the expectations are of me during the ceremony, that sorta thing. Anyone around here in my shoes?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Meefy Bread posted:

Additionally, If I were to consider a larger diamond ... which means I'd have to drop the quality of one of the other C's so my price stays in range ... what do folks generally recommend should go first? I'm thinking reducing clarify before cut or color, but if someone is more knowledgeable please let me know if I'm again being dumb.

Does JohnnyRnR frequent this thread? I'm sure he'd be more help than me.

When I bought my fiancee's stone, I dropped clarity first. I ended up with an SI1, but the stone is clean to the naked eye, which is all that really mattered to us. It also wasn't enough to affect the brilliance of the stone.

I think you can pretty safely play with color at the point you're looking at. I actually privileged color when I was looking, and ended up with an E. My justification was that you can only really see color at that range when its up against something very white, and my fiancee has a very fair complexion.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Maerlyn posted:

The only downside is that we had a big home game that day and although about 100 people RSVPed, only about 60 or so came, so we paid a lot more for food than we needed and had a lot of leftovers. We were pretty bitter about that (neither one of us like football, and I guess we expected that a family event would be more important than a football game) but we just have to shrug and move on.

Jesus Nebraska. Stay Classy.

Congrats on the weather! We're doing a September wedding in the midwest, and don't have the courage to do a reception site that has anything to do with outside.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Reene posted:

Unfortunately it seems like any time you tack "engagement" onto the description of a ring, the price doubles for no discernible reason. So my question: is it some kind of faux pas to buy a regular ol' ring and present it as an engagement ring? Is there some kind of "tell" I haven't picked up on or is this just kind of a scam ala DeBeers?

I think whatever faux pas you'd be worrying about pulling would already have been tripped by not going with a diamond. If she's cool with another stone, she'll be cool with a ring that doesn't have a little tag that says "FOR ENGAGEMENT" on it. :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

JohnnyRnR posted:

If you're going to dictate what he should buy and how much (of his money) he should spend then the giving becomes more of a business transaction. You might as well go buy the ring for yourself.

I dunno about this. My fianceé had been dropping hints as to the sort of ring she liked for a little bit ("Oh, I love this ring! Lots of little sidestones!"), and I brought up budget, since it was silly to pretend we weren't getting engaged, and it was a big financial decision. I still went to the jeweler myself, and even though she knew a proposal was coming in the very near future, did the surprise engagement thing (on a picnic, for the record).

Even with all of the information flying between us, it was a romantic moment that's really lovely to remember. Of course, I'm not saying that you can't have an equally romantic moment going to buy a ring together, just there's no line where you should throw in the towel and say "well, I'll just buy it while I'm there."

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Oh poo poo Canada posted:

Does anyone have experiences with destination weddings? We're planning on the immediate family and inviting a few people who would be able to make the trip, and have been looking at getting married in Gullfoss in Iceland:

We'll need to pay for us, her sisters, and her parents airfare and hotels, though my family will pay their own way. We're budgeting 3000 for travel, and much less for hotels. The main thing I'm curious about is other guests.

It's a crime no one has commented on this because :aaaaa: holy poo poo that's amazing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Anyone got any suggestions for a good, very cheap place to get save the dates? My wedding is pretty big and our budget is getting a bit stretched, but our wedding is over a holiday weekend, so Save the Dates would be really nice. :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Emasculatrix posted:

Are "plantation themed" weddings a thing now? I'm in a destination wedding package contest and some of the other couples are throwing these. It's kind of mind-blowing to me that white people would travel to the south to throw a plantation wedding.

One of the Sandals resorts is called The Royal Plantation. We did our Honeymoon at a Sandals resort, and I did get my social conscious pinged a bit, but even my wife (who tends to be less liberal on stuff like that) thought that being a relatively well off white couple going to a resort called The Plantation and then being waited on 24/7 by black people while not exchanging any money (all inclusive! Pay 4 months in advance so you forget the pain, it's like a free vacation! :v: ) would have felt more than a little weird.

Banana Stickers posted:

Mason jars are a huge trend right now for "rustic" weddings. I think it's kind of dumb, but it's really not any different than drinking out of a glass so I don't know why you would be bent out of shape by it. There's no need to bring your own glass to the wedding.

A wedding my mom recently attended had a rustic theme. One of the details we both thought was sorta cute was the butter. Every table had a mason jar with cream and a few marbles, and you just shook for a few minutes until you had butter. Apparently some of the kids had a grand ole time running from table to table and going nuts with the things. :3:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Dbhjed posted:

She really wants to the the garter toss thing, but I find it really disrespectful. Is there a way to get this done not involving me having to go up her dress in front of 140 family and friends?

I didn't stick my head up there either, just reached, and she had pushed it to her knee. If you want to make it more cutesy, you can also have her parent on the dance floor a couple feet away looking disapproving. I went to a wedding with that, and it turned into a very cute photo.

TheKracken posted:

Oh man, the garter toss. I haven't seen that at a wedding since the early 90's. I thought that went out with perms and puffball sleeves?

I'd reckon it's a regional thing. We did it at our wedding in the Midwest.

EDIT: about that fire polish diamond, how much does it cost to treat a diamond? I'm sure it varies a bit based on the size of the stone; how much is it, say, per carat?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 5, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

A friend did a wedding where they provided some cheap beer/wine for free and had a cash bar for anything harder if you wanted it. I think 100% cash bar is kind of tacky, either offer something free or just don't have alcohol.

We did this. We also skipped the champagne toast. We knew from the beginning that we had no interest in having a full open bar or a champagne toast. That being said, our reception site included those in the standard pricing. So, we negotiated to knock it down to beer & wine only in exchange for an extra hour of beer & wine bar and passed wine during dinner.

Never be afraid to negotiate! Also they comped the wedding party champagne and mixed drinks, which was thoughtful.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

I told my sister today that it was going to be adults only. She said OK, hung up, then two minutes later my brother in law calls back and asks why my sister is crying. I tell him, and he says if we do this I'll be "tearing my family apart". He says if we do this then he wants nothing to do with us ever again. I told him that is his choice to make.

Really I'm not very close to my sister and it wouldn't be a big loss if that is what they did. But I'm so riled up now. Why is everything a personal attack on them?

We had this problem too and there's very little to be done about it, because parents tend to think their kids are special and fantastic. Just gotta suck it up and trust that everything will be okay. On the other hand, you can make the situation a little better if you get lucky (as we did) and all the kids are past a certain generational point. Everyone under age was the child of a cousin for us, so we just let everyone know that we couldn't afford pushing the line past cousins (which was the case.)

Our story may help with that. My mom was adamant that we would mortally offend several of my cousins by not inviting their kids. They had to come from out of town, blah blah blah. The cousins came to the ceremony with their kids in tow. This was actually a big reason we didn't want kids - the slightest sound carried in there, and they were still crying age. My cousins ended up being very apologetic about bringing the kids and went right into the soundproofed cry room. They put them with a sitter for the reception and ended up having an amazing time. At about 12:30 the dad came up to me and thanked me for a good excuse for a night without the kids. :)

oldskool posted:

Chin Strap: if you have a cutoff date in mind between "too young to be here" and "old enough to be invited", clearly mention it in the invitations.

We handled it by addressing all envelopes specifically to the list of people who were invited. My cousin is X married to Y with child Z, the envelopes only said X and Y. Your milage may vary, but we didn't have anyone RSVP their kids. The less subtle way to do it (that we considered) is to have something like this on your RSVP cards: "Yes, ___ of 2 will be attending."

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

GauchoMatador posted:

Kindly weigh in on this issue before one of us goes bridezilla/groomzilla:

Fiance asserts that it is customary and necessary that the wedding party + ushers + photographers (a total of 14 in our case) travel together post-ceremony, possibly taking a detour to take some photos at various locations in the area prior to the reception (we have a fair bit of time to kill). To accommodate 14 people, he believes that a stretch Escalade is classy and (surprisingly) one of the more economical options for vehicles that size. He argues that as some in our wedding party are very tall, this would be the most roomy and comfortable option. I think it's ostentatious, and at $600+, an expense we could spare. I also don't recall the entire wedding party sticking/traveling together in most weddings I've attended, but what do I know? He says a party bus or other means of transportation for the whole party is typical, as are photos at places other than the ceremony and reception sites.

We rented a trolley for transit between wedding and reception. We also drove about a half hour drive to get to where we wanted photos taken in between. It is completely ostentatious and ridiculous, but it can be a lot of fun. It may be a bit of a necessity if you want lots of photos taken.

We got dropped off in one location, then just walked the 3-4 blocks to the next, and getting honked at by cars the entire way was pretty fun. :3: Also it was a nice opportunity to have some fun with the people we cared most about at the wedding. At my reception anyway, I was being pulled in a lot of different directions; having time to have fun with the wedding party was good.

On the other hand, if you really don't want any photos off-site(s), and there's plenty of time between the two events, I don't think it would be absurd to skip it. That would mean there's plenty of time for people to get themselves to the reception.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

pastor of muppets posted:

...the style my fiance liked the most happened to be in cobalt.

My ring is cobalt. My jeweler told us about the hardness of cobalt, but in more a "you can't really get this resized after its cast" and less of a "they're gonna have to take your finger if you're in an accident" way.

I have no idea what your jeweler is like, but ask about getting the ring re-done in a different metal if it's the style he likes and not the metal. When I saw my ring in the showroom, it was in 18k gold, and we didn't want to pay that much for a men's ring (my wife remains convinced I'm going to lose it one day). We were told the supplier could remake it in any metal we wanted. Fair warning, though - we shopped at a family owned local store, so your jeweler may be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

FloorCheese posted:

I have a feeling we will walk in there and just be all, "please design us something cool, and here is some money." We are nightmare clients?

Just to encourage you, in my experience (and I have a fair bit when it comes to these sorts of things; my parents are florists), creative types enjoy being given a bit of freedom to do work. Give some basic instruction for styles, maybe a couple designs you like to give them a solid idea of your likes/dislikes, and they should be able to produce something really cool. I know my dad always says he's happiest when he's given the minimum of instruction.