Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ziir posted:

There was a website I found last year where you put in your departure city and then you can choose general arrival locations like "Europe" or "France" or "Worldwide" and so forth, tell it the time span you could go, and it would search through and list flights in cheapest order to many cities/locations. It was a simple looking website with a white background.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Skyscanner.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

.net, actually.

edit: never mind, .com redirects there.

Picaresque
Dec 1, 2006
If travelling around Western Europe, I've found this site to be useful for finding the less-touristy stuff to do along with excellent cheap places to eat: http://www.spottedbylocals.com/

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

Ziir posted:

There was a website I found last year where you put in your departure city and then you can choose general arrival locations like "Europe" or "France" or "Worldwide" and so forth, tell it the time span you could go, and it would search through and list flights in cheapest order to many cities/locations. It was a simple looking website with a white background.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

http://www.kayak.com/buzz

Coldharbour
Jan 2, 2004
LOL speakeasy LOL

Lincoln posted:

Can we add a Walt Disney World Megathread? Or has that been done?

This ever get made? I'm going mid-September and would like to get more info on it

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Does anyone know of a site where I can plug in the cities I've been to so far on my trip and get a map with nice Indiana Jones style red lines showing my route? I'd like something I can update with each new place I've been and easily get a new pic.

Also, any recommendations for travel blog sites? I signed up for blogspot but before I dig in I'd like to know if there are better alternatives.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Laopooh posted:

Does anyone know of a site where I can plug in the cities I've been to so far on my trip and get a map with nice Indiana Jones style red lines showing my route? I'd like something I can update with each new place I've been and easily get a new pic.

maps.google.com
On the lefthand side, just below the Google logo, click on "my maps"
It's a little more manual than entering city names, but I think that's actually a good thing. You can also leave notes, etc.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Laopooh posted:

http://www.flightmemory.com

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Laopooh posted:

Also, any recommendations for travel blog sites? I signed up for blogspot but before I dig in I'd like to know if there are better alternatives.

I prefer Wordpress, Blogspot was pretty buggy when I tried it but that was like 5 years ago. This is my Wordpress travel blog: http://gentlemenoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Bear in mind that both Wordpress and Blogspot are censored by some countries, making it a pain in the rear end to update if you don't have your own domain. This can usually be circumvented by a proxy but it's a lot easier to download it BEFORE you go to said freedom-hating countries. Freegate is pretty good, I was using Tor in Vietnam but China is a bit more savvy and blocks it somehow.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

Laopooh posted:

I just started using TravelPod, which is kind of hokey and there are ads (unless you buy an upgraded account), but it does have the "Indiana Jones maps". I tried it out for my trip taking a train from Portland>Seattle>Chicago this summer.

http://tinyurl.com/2c3leac

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

John Adams posted:

I just started using TravelPod, which is kind of hokey and there are ads (unless you buy an upgraded account), but it does have the "Indiana Jones maps". I tried it out for my trip taking a train from Portland>Seattle>Chicago this summer.

http://tinyurl.com/2c3leac

That one seems ok for generic travel, but for airline travel specifically, I prefer Flightmemory as well:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Curious, why is TripAdvisor not listed under multi site search yaya? It's got a flight tracker, hotel reviews, restaurants, etc.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Mackieman posted:

That one seems ok for generic travel, but for airline travel specifically, I prefer Flightmemory as well:

This is a neat website but I wish there was a way to enter flights in bulk.

Edit: Also, I've flown more flights international than I have domestic I guess. It'd be nice if they could put the two maps together.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 16, 2010

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Can anyone reccomend good (and free) downloadable language guides for iPods? World Nomads has a bunch, but their quality is awful. I specifically need a Mongolian one.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Laopooh posted:

TripAdvisor launched a thing called TripWow recently that lets you do that and add your photos to make a cool little slideshow thing http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Bah, just got screwed on some Orbitz tickets. By Delta.

I bought them for my mom, who is traveling Rochester (ROC) to Honolulu (HNL). The layover is in Atlanta (ATL). They gave her 38 minutes to change from the B to the E terminal, and when I called them on this (and their own posted "40 minute minimum") they said it'd be fine.

She's freaking out that she's going to miss the connection since there's no way the worlds fastest track sprinter could deplane, cross the entire B terminal, go down 6 stories to the train, ride the once-every-15-minutes-train over 3 terminals, go up 6 stories of stairs and then across the terminal in 38 minutes. Let alone a 68 year old woman. Also there's no way her luggage would make it.

They offered to change her to a flight that leaves 3 hours earlier out of ROC for the low low price of $800 (for a ticket that originally cost less than that). Bah. Weighing cancelling the whole thing and starting over.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
What're the ontime stats for ROC-ATL?

Also, why did she book a ticket with such a short layover? They do publish those things, you know.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

TheLizard posted:

What're the ontime stats for ROC-ATL?

Also, why did she book a ticket with such a short layover? They do publish those things, you know.

They changed the flight time (up 25 minutes) and sent me an email about a month ago. The flight is in 13 days, so I have time to try to fix it.

Right now the flight is 7:45am landing at 10:07am (most of these flights land at B10), and the connecting flight leaves from E18 at 10:45am. According to Delta, the minimum connecting time is 40 minutes for Hartsfield, but that only applies to "International Flights" regardless of which terminal they leave from, and E is the international terminal.

The new flight would leave Rochester at 630am and give her plenty of time to make the connection. (I don't know why I said 3 hours earlier in the previous post, that would also have been acceptable, I've been on hold with Orbitz/Delta all day).

Also I misread your post, it's "on time" 95% of the time, according to flight stats.

EDIT: They finally just said "she's flying in to Delta's main hub at 10am, trying to get to Hawaii, she'll be fine if she misses the connection, the backup is to LAX then HNL, or she can just do standby in Rochester for the 630 flight without paying anything."

So I guess it's one of those "hope it works out for the best" kind of things.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 13, 2010

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
If they change your flight times after purchase to something you can't use you can ask them to rebook you same day at no charge. I've done this countless times (like when my IAD-SFO-BKK flight became IAD-LAX-SFO-NRT-BKK) without issue.

If this flight is 95% on time you shouldn't have too much of a problem unless she's flying out of ROC in winter, in which case you're playing weather roulette. My suggestion would be to call and have them rebook her, since if she misses her connection and there are no seats on the ATL-LAX or LAX-HNL legs she will be SOL.

Getting that rebooked before hand will solve all sorts of problems you might have day-of.

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
That happened to me yesterday. Bought a flight in July through Expedia, flew the first portion, and then get the email a couple of days before I fly back that my flight time has been changed to leave 30 min later, and that I only have ca an hour to change planes. I just went with it. Made it to London, still have a flight to Berlin left.

Turns out that I got locked out of the flight when I tried to go through security in London. I had to get my ticket rebooked, which they did without a problem, gave me a meal voucher and I had 90 min to chill in Heathro. I guess it would have sucked if someone was meeting me in Berlin, but since I was on my own, I didn't care.

Anyways, if you can't get it changed, try talking to the people at the counter when you check-in, and if that doesn't work, as soon as the plane lands, have her contact an agent for the airline. If it's the hub, then there are going to be flights going out constantly. It might make the journey a bit weird, but she'll get to her destination.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dunkman posted:

EDIT: They finally just said "she's flying in to Delta's main hub at 10am, trying to get to Hawaii, she'll be fine if she misses the connection, the backup is to LAX then HNL, or she can just do standby in Rochester for the 630 flight without paying anything."

So I guess it's one of those "hope it works out for the best" kind of things.

Yeah, while missing a flight sucks, there are many, many options to get her to HNL that day because she is arriving at ATL early enough. She can do connections to EWR, JFK, IAH, ORD, DEN, LAX, SFO, and SEA on a variety of airlines to make all that work. The extra connection sucks, but it should get handled ok.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
How bad would ROC-ATL-EWR-HNL suck? Fly to Atlanta just to fly back north again.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TheLizard posted:

How bad would ROC-ATL-EWR-HNL suck? Fly to Atlanta just to fly back north again.

Almost as bad as SAN - ATL - IAH.

On the redeye.

:suicide:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Hey all, general travel question that doesn't really deserve it's own thread, I don't think.

My buddies and I are trying to book a flight to Las Vegas from the Boston are (basically from Boston, Portland or Manchester) on Dec. 10th (or maybe 9th). We kind of dropped the ball and missed some deal a few days ago where we could've gotten round-trip for $170; now prices are up to about $300 or so. The decision we need to make is whether it makes more sense to wait until the very last minute and hope for another deal, or whether we should just bite the bullet and book on Southwest today, which is marginally more expensive but also has the option to fly nonstop, which is a big plus because we'll have lots of luggage that we really don't want to get lost in transit.

So, is there anything to be said to waiting until the last minute for a deal or is that just a fool's errand?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

My experience is that you are probably not going to get better deals at this point, when you're only a week away from the trip.

I know you're already inclined to fly Southwest, and I'll add another factor which I think weighs in Southwest's favor: most other airlines will charge you $30-50 each way for checked luggage. Southwest gives you two bags free. So consider that when you're weighing costs.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

So, is there anything to be said to waiting until the last minute for a deal or is that just a fool's errand?

Generally, but with occasional exceptions, there is no point to wait. MHT will almost always be cheaper than BOS. It looks like Delta is running $272 out of BOS, so Southwest is likely matching that fare (or vice versa).

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Bumping and subscribing.

Adding: http://www.theairdb.com - find airlines, see the hubs, check out airports and what airlines fly out of them. And as a suggestion for the best deals on packages, go to the airline websites and check for their daily/weekly or unadvertised specials.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
Whats the best way to search for multi-part trips? I want to go to Korea this Oct to visit family and figured since I'll be flying over the Pacific anyway I might as well stop in Japan for a bit too. Is there any way to get that on one itinerary? The only way I've figured out how to do so is by searching for separate tickets (SEA - SEL - HND - SEA).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

iloverice posted:

Whats the best way to search for multi-part trips? I want to go to Korea this Oct to visit family and figured since I'll be flying over the Pacific anyway I might as well stop in Japan for a bit too. Is there any way to get that on one itinerary? The only way I've figured out how to do so is by searching for separate tickets (SEA - SEL - HND - SEA).

Any of the regular search engines (I like Kayak myself) will allow you to search for multi-city itineraries. This should be an option next to the round trip or one way buttons.

Do keep in mind, though, that the availability of multi-city itineraries is dependent upon the routing rules of the fare you're booking. Many segment rules require booking into a very high fare in order to make something like that work. Given that, your best bet is to stick with a single carrier metal and see if you can find a fare that gives you the option to do a stopover in a second city, or an open jaw.

Also keep in mind that SEL and HND are going to have a lot less choice than ICN and NRT as far as international flights are concerned. Opening up your airport choices will help you find something that works.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mackieman posted:

Also keep in mind that SEL and HND are going to have a lot less choice than ICN and NRT as far as international flights are concerned. Opening up your airport choices will help you find something that works.

To that end, use TYO instead of selecting HND or NRT specifically. It'll search both. SEL does the same for Seoul

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
Is there any reason I should be wary of booking with cheapoair.com or onetravel.com? I'm looking to book a trip to Vegas in August, and their fares are more than $100 cheaper than anything else I'm finding.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

JetSet posted:

Is there any reason I should be wary of booking with cheapoair.com or onetravel.com? I'm looking to book a trip to Vegas in August, and their fares are more than $100 cheaper than anything else I'm finding.

Are you doing opaque travel where you can't see the airline you're booking? If not, post the airlines/segments and I'd be willing to bet I can find that fare on the airline website.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
It doesn't show me the airline, but it gives me flight numbers, so I know it's Frontier. Indianapolis to Las Vegas, leave 8/3, return 8/9. On Cheapoair, it's $553 for 2 people. On Kayak/Priceline, the exact same itinerary is $797. The cheapest fare on Priceline is still $764

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

JetSet posted:

It doesn't show me the airline, but it gives me flight numbers, so I know it's Frontier. Indianapolis to Las Vegas, leave 8/3, return 8/9. On Cheapoair, it's $553 for 2 people. On Kayak/Priceline, the exact same itinerary is $797. The cheapest fare on Priceline is still $764

Yeah, that's an opaque booking, and good on ya for recognizing the flight numbers and figuring out the carrier. If you know you're going, I'd say go ahead and book it through cheepoair.com. Nothing necessarily to be afraid of there, just be aware of any booking fees.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A while back I found Kayak's Buzz feature, but now it looks like it's no longer active. Is there any other website that lets you punch in your starting city and lets you see a list of the cheapest international flights from there? I want to get out of the US for a couple of weeks but I'm not very picky where because I want to go pretty much everywhere.

e: Actually Student Universe's FarePlay looks like it has what I want, but I'd love other options since I don't really know anything about SU and most of its results are for short lengths of time. I'd love for a feature to be able to put in an approximate trip length even though Buzz didn't even have that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 19, 2011

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

A while back I found Kayak's Buzz feature, but now it looks like it's no longer active. Is there any other website that lets you punch in your starting city and lets you see a list of the cheapest international flights from there? I want to get out of the US for a couple of weeks but I'm not very picky where because I want to go pretty much everywhere.

e: Actually Student Universe's FarePlay looks like it has what I want, but I'd love other options since I don't really know anything about SU and most of its results are for short lengths of time. I'd love for a feature to be able to put in an approximate trip length even though Buzz didn't even have that.

http://www.kayak.com/explore/

fcbarros
Mar 28, 2011
Decolar is a site used in Brazil for travelling and booking:

http://www.decolar.com

In Brazil we have some country airlines:

TAM: http://www.tam.com.br

GOL: https://www.voegol.com.b

AZUL: http://viajemais.voeazul.com.br/

hope that helps a bit.

cheers!

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Does anyone know of any resources for traveling by yourself with a group of strangers? Something similar to http://www.realgap.com/ which is geared towards adventure and volunteer vacations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Has anyone used priceline for flights? What was your experience like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sheri posted:

Has anyone used priceline for flights? What was your experience like?

I generally avoid priceline for airfare as I like to know exactly what I'm getting before I buy it. Mostly because I don't fit in standard coach seats and need to secure a seat where I fit and don't bother anyone else.

That said, most of the time, you can get comparable prices when you do the research yourself. Airfare is not often like hotels or car rentals where the prices are up for, "negotiation." On occasion you'll find a cheaper opaque fare; if so and you don't care what airline you fly on, go for it.

The real power of priceline, in my view, is in car rentals. You never know what you're going to get until you get there anyway, and they only use the big five companies. I've saved 70% and more on a car rental by bidding on it. Hotels work similarly, but I rarely use it since I'm trying to maintain status with Starwood.