Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Anyone used http://www.intrepidtravel.com/? Any thoughts from those that have heard about it or can compare it to others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
For those that have used those planned trip companies like intrepid and g adventures, how much time alone to adventure around yourself do you get? Are you pretty much stuck with the group in a 'tour' type travel group? Or do they just organise the hotels, transport between cities etc. and once you're in the city you're free to go where you wish?

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 20, 2011

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Honestly I like that they arrange transport between cities/countries and the accommodation and the overall plan of where to visit, but once I'm in the city I want to walk off by myself and explore without a group (or with if I decide to or if make travel buddies). Is travelling through intrepid/g adventures not right for me? or does it depend on the itinerary/trip type etc.?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Mackieman posted:

In almost all cases, it's cheaper to do it via ATM from your bank account once you get there. There are fees, but they're usually less (and sometimes a lot less) than changing at the airport or whatever. Make sure you notify your bank that you're traveling and all should be well.

And if this is not possible, a legit private exchange office in a major city will suffice. Just avoid banks and avoid the airport exchanges. For example in Tehran I had to cab it in to Ferdosi Square where there are a few exchanges that do great rates. In Turkey I just used my Travel Card from my bank back home and it just used the official exchange rate with a small flat rate fee.