Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm looking for some advice on dealing with a cancellation through Expedia. (Assuming this is the right thread for that?)

I went to book a hotel room through them for 4 days in April, and a vital part of my search was that the reservation be fully refundable. There will be a decision point several weeks before the trip and I need the option to cancel this reservation. The page I reached via Expedia said in two places "Free cancellation before [Date]" but buried in a link on that page was the caveat that only the first night is in fact refundable. The last three nights are not at all.

This became immediately obvious once I'd actually booked it, as every successive itinerary/email said in big bold letters that "This reservation is non-refundable and cannot be cancelled or changed."

So I immediately called Expedia to complain. They explained it's the hotel's policy and they can't do anything about it. They called the hotel to try to cancel for me but to no avail. I said it's Expedia's responsibility, because it's their website that was highly deceptive. I went to their site specifically looking for a refundable reservation, and only made that one because it said as much. They didn't seem to care, and the supervisor I spoke to wouldn't do anything more. I called the hotel, and they said I'd have to deal with Expedia. I tried to ask the hotel to simply cancel it now, since I just booked it today and they haven't even charged me a deposit for it, but he eventually hung up on me.

Am I screwed now or is there another option here? I thought about just disputing the credit card charge but I don't know if that's likely to get me anywhere when it won't even happen for another 2 months, and the hotel's official policy is "no cancellations.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU