Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Posting from the U.S. -- I'm doing research for a honeymoon in Tahiti and not really sure where to start. Do any of the links in the OP specialize in travel "packages"? I'm assuming that's the way to go, unless you actually save lots of money by ordering air fair and hotels a la carte. The wife and I aren't really interested in the"excursions" that tend to get pushed in the packages I've seen (snorkeling/rock climbing/zipline/etc). We really just want a badass hotel experience, like one that sets you up in those isolated bungalows on the water; swim-up bars, things like that.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Just wanna make sure we don't spend thousands more than we need to . Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sellouts posted:

When I did the Maldives using a travel agent for hotel only saved us a non-negligible amount of money vs booking on the web. This was compounded by the sea plane required to get there which is a pretty unique thing to the Maldives so this advice isn't always applicable.

Do your research, find the properties that have the room and amenities you want, note the costs, and take the short list to a travel agent online and see if they can beat a deal. What you'll find a lot of times in those packages is a lower level room than you want. But like anything else it kind of all depends on budget and the level of property/service you expect.

Also with over water bungalows think about things like distance walking to beach/pool/food, if you want a pool within the bungalow for night swimming, proximity to snorkeling, etc. I highly recommend overwater bungalows if you have the means as its a sure fire way to avoid being next to loud families as kids almost always can't stay on the overwater bungalows.

Don't book any excursions until you get there. When you get done traveling and get to the room you might realize that it and the beach are all you need.

If you have any further questions feel free to PM me. Our honeymoon was pretty complex and outside the realm of every travel agent I spoke to and I like helping with this sort of thing. Not to mention doing it yourself can cut out the crap.
This is literally over a year late but thanks for the tips man, had a great honeymoon :)