Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Would anyone care to have an AirBnB thread? I wouldn't mind making it, and I think it could potentially be incredibly useful to the group within this subforum if anyone else thinks it might be worthwhile.

For those unfamiliar, AirBnB is a website in which people can place their futon, couch, spare bedroom, apartment, condo, house, compound up for rent for a determinant, or indeterminate, amount of time. Users can be verified (facebook/linked in, etc) to reduce the total sketch of the situation. Prices are typically very competitive as compared to hotels and what not, while you get personal interaction with someone who "should" care about the quality of your experience of your stay, and know the area a bit better than a travel guide.

I've spent the last week or so traveling Europe (Belgium, Holland, Germany) saying exclusively in AirBnBs. I've also used them in New Orleans, LA, and host my own, via my wife, in Knoxville, TN. I've become a large proponent as of late.

Essentially, I think it'd be a neat way to share recommendations for cheap, safe harbor-especially if there are members of our own who host as well. I know I'd rather give $50 a night to McGoonerson than 150 to the Hilton's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Use airbnb over vrbo. Bigger and better community, better more transparent payment system, better interface in general. Actually have a thread on it in my title.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

sellouts posted:

I much prefer vrbo renters to airbnb. Vrbo usually has executed paperwork far in advance. Airbnb's cancellation policy leaves too much flexibility for either side to cancel.

In my opinion, No it doesn't. There are three typical policies you can adhere to, and the strict policy of a 50% refund up to one week in advance of stay is reasonable imo. You can also request super strict which provides 50% up to a month in advance.

As a guest, all you have to do is look for a superhost [which is unachievable for any host that has cancelled a reservation].

Different strokes, but you're the only person I've heard of that prefers vrbo to airbnb after experiencing both.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 6, 2015

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Oh man. Yeah, don't blame you there. My wife and her family went to a bowl game [college football] this winter and the vrbo host was somehow able to pull out at the last second, so it transcends platforms.