Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

sellouts posted:

Cruises are pretty simple in the grand scheme of things and are made largely for people who don't want to worry about much.

You should post your questions and I'm sure people can answer.

My wife really loves visiting Europe and I like Greco-Roman architecture so we're thinking about doing a cruise that stops at different ports on the Mediterranean Sea for our honeymoon in September. I've never booked a cruise before so we're still in the Googling around stage without any great ideas on where to start. Are there good sites to book cruises? Has anyone taken a Mediterranean or coastal cruise before and had good or bad experiences? Are there any cruises that spend more than a day in any given city? A single day doesn't seem like nearly long enough to see a city.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

We've been looking at cruises every night the last week and decided they're not really for us. We prefer to spend several days or even weeks when we can afford it really getting to know a city. Planning to visit a few cities in Spain instead. My wife managed to piece together flights from the USA to Spain and back for ~6k (first class for the cross-atlantic flights). Would a travel agency be able to do cheaper flights? Has anyone used a travel agency with good/bad experiences?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Any suggestions for things to see or do in Bergen, Norway? A friend is presenting in a conference in March and I will likely be going to provide moral support.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some way to assemble your own atlas of an area through online stuff? I wanted a back up atlas of the area within 2 hours of Portland, OR or so. I can't find an Oregon atlas with the level of detail I want. AAA didn't have anything either.

I don't want to rely on my phone and tablet, and I want something I can draw some notes on. We're scoping out where we could move with some acreage and will be going along some of the more remote areas within that span.

If there's some open web service with an API I can hit, I'm fine with that. I can do scripting just fine.

Is this what you want? https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid. I've downloaded city-scale maps for areas with bad reception before and google maps usually does a good job of deadreckoning and putting me in that right spot. I've not tried it for a whole car trip before, but I've also gone on lots of 6-12 hour drives through areas without cell data service and not had a problem with google maps providing directions even in low/no service areas.

If you want physical copies, you could probably print out a series of google maps (https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3109452?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop), but that'd be tedious. Unfortunately, I don't know any way to do that faster.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 26, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But since you mentioned a cruise, that’s a new ball game in inexpensive. It’s not difficult to find cruises that cost $100/day per person or less (may be tougher if it’s 3 people in two cabins, the rates are based on double occupancy). Edit: ok, maybe not so easy to hit <100/day any more, but pretty close to it after port fees especially on longer (5+ day) cruises.

Any suggestions on where to find cruise prices like this? I've been underwhelmed by cruises in the past (generally fine but not great). But if there are good cruises that cost less per night than a normal hotel I'd be willing to give them another try.

The prices I'm seeing right now with a quick google is more in the 200-300/day/person right now (for 2 people). And that's before drinks or any other extras. At which point I'd rather stay in a traditional hotel (or AirBnB) and skip the worry of getting back to the ship on time. And the price savings would support going to a very nice restaurant.