Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
Does anyone know of good travel resources for people wanting to travel in the midrange of budgets? Most magazines/blogs/etc. either cater to the backpacker/hostel community, or the uber-lux rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
Oh, just completely in general. I'm researching where my husband and I should go next - we're definitely planning a 3-week trip to Japan later this year, but we have an additional week to play around with. Internationally we've only traveled to Western Europe so far (Italy, Spain, London, Paris, Bruges, Amsterdam) and have averaged around $90-150 USD/night on a room. I realize that this area of the world is much pricier than others and that that money would go a much longer way elsewhere, that this is all relative, etc.

We've done business-style hotels before, but we prefer smaller hotels run by families or smaller boutique hotel chains. Typically we just rely on TripAdvisor, but the reviews on there tend to be written by an older set of people (we're 29-30).

This led to us staying in a beautiful, but stupidly stuffy B&B in Portland, OR that was completely not our scene.

Most publications and blogs I see are either about hostel travel (I wouldn't be opposed to some of the "luxury" hostels with your own room, etc.), or super luxury like you see in CN Traveler and Nat Geo Travel.

We both hold down full-time American jobs, so we usually have limited time a year to go somewhere. There just doesn't seem to be a middle ground in most publications between staying in a dorm with 8 others and spending $300/night somewhere. It was just more of a general question than specifics.