Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I highly recommend BoltBus if it's available in your area (US northeast, northwest, and southwest). It's cheap, there's free wi-fi and power outlets, and the buses have a good amount of legroom.

I live in Vancouver and it usually costs me $30-$45 to take Amtrak or Greyhound one-way to Seattle. I booked a BoltBus ticket last-minute to Seattle for $18 one-way, and it's costing my girlfriend and I $15 each for the way back because we booked the two tickets together and there's apparently a bulk discount. It also drops off in Seattle right in front of a Link Light Rail station, which goes directly to the airport. With Greyhound I usually have to walk several blocks for that, and Amtrak is next to the north end of the line so it takes longer to get to the airport. I do this trip pretty often because SeaTac is usually cheaper than YVR, so I'm using Bolt from now on. Apparently we've had it here for two years and I had no idea, and for the Pacific Northwest branch it goes as far south as Portland (for $30 from Vancouver on some days). Not sure if it's comparable in other areas, but that's a crazy good deal for what I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I've got a late December flight on United with one connection. I can choose my seat on the connecting flight but not the origin flight. All the seats in Economy are greyed out and my seat on my reservation just says "---". I'm assuming I'm on a wait list, but it doesn't actually tell me - it just won't tell me my seat.

Economy Plus is almost completely empty though, and First class only has 2 seats booked. Provided these seats remain empty, does anyone know whether or not United will bump people (either in Economy or on the wait list) into E+/1st if a flight is overbooked? I don't care if I get a better seat, I just want to know that I'll have *A* seat if the ones in higher classes aren't filled.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Mackieman posted:

If all of the regular economy seats are booked, you'll be assigned a seat at OLCI (online check-in). It could be an Economy Plus seat or something else in regular economy depending on what's available at that time. Watch the seat map closely over the next couple of weeks; chances are high something will open up and you can select it prior to OLCI.

Operational upgrades to first class do happen for people without elite status, but they are exceedingly rare. It's much more likely that someone else with elite status or a higher fare bucket on the flight will get upgraded, opening their economy/economy plus seat for others like you.

Regardless of what happens, you have a confirmed seat on the flight. If the flight is overbooked, they'll ask for volunteers. If they don't get any (which is also rare), they'll involuntarily deny boarding and compensate someone, usually the last person on the plane. To avoid that, don't be the last person on the plane. :)

Heh, update on this... I got to the check-in desk and they told me I'd be assigned a seat at the gate. I had to go through security, and when I got to the gate they said the computer couldn't assign me a seat for some reason, and in the meantime the flight filled up so they couldn't seat me due to their overbooking. I had to leave the next day instead, but I got a $100 voucher out of it. United kinda blows.