Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
Intrepid has a pretty good reputation. I looked at them when I was in Asia but I ended up going with G Adventures, who I'd recommend to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Our guide would tell us about what there was to do in a particular area and people would decide what they wanted to do- a lot of times groups will tend to stick together, especially for dinner/drinks, but I spent a lot of time wandering around by myself without issue. I think a lot of it depends on how well you get along with your companions and what your interests are compared to theirs, but a lot of that is random luck.

Your guide will arrange transport/hotels and so forth and if a lot of people want to do a particular thing will help out with that or point you in the right direction. I'd advise looking at an itinerary and seeing if it appeals. When I was in SE Asia with G Adventures I was very happy with the tour overall, although I wish I could have stayed longer in particular places. You do lose the spontaneous aspect of travel to some extent, but it's really nice if you're a single traveler.

If you think that you want a tour but also want lots of time to yourself, look at what's included, particularly meals. It'll give you an idea as to how much time is designed to be spent in the group or not.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Yeah, get a no-frills tour that doesn't include most/any meals and go for it. You'll have a blast.