Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Hey there new travel forum visitors! Here's the list of suggested online resources for traveling purposes that I collected when travel threads were hanging out in Goons across the Globe. If anyone has any other truly awesome sites for booking or planning travel, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

Online Travel Resources
Online Reservation Sites
The biggies:
Orbitz
Expedia
Travelocity

Multi-site Search Engines
Kayak
SideStep
Hotels Combined
Travelaxe.com
Farecast.com - Tracks historical prices and recommends buying or waiting based on these.

Hostelling and Budget Travel
HostelWorld
Sky Scanner "...Search engine for all the little budget airlines in Europe with some really cool search options (like "Where can I go for £xxx on xxx date?")."
GoMIO.com Book a hostel room.
Budget Travel
1-800-FLY-EUROPE
Ryan Air and Easy Jet Discount Airlines for Flights within Europe
Hostelz.com Hostel Reviews and Reservations
Travel Cuts Student Travel!
STA Travel Student-oriented travel deals and info. Also the place to get your ISIC card.
Student Universe.com More student deals, and "great for discount European rail passes"
Airfare Watchdog Find cheap flights to a variety of destinations after entering your home airport

Local Info/What's life like in [X]
Road Junky "They have a bunch of country profiles that give you non-standard travel info; i.e. how easy it is to get laid, what the food is like, that party scene etc."
Wikitravel Like Wikipedia but with (presumably) fewer Pokemon articles.
TripAdvisor Reviews and booking info all in one place.
Tales Mag "It's much more about living overseas than travel and it's targeted at US Foreign Service people but it's still a great resource on what to expect from cities all over the world, especially places that aren't traditional tourist destinations."
Let's Go Aimed at youth travelers.
Lonely Planet
Virtual Tourist
Volunteer South America Low Cost Volunteering in South America
BUNAC Work or live abroad info for students or recent grads.
CoolWorks.com Forums with info on Working Abroad
SeasonWorkers Seasonal Jobs & Gap Year Travel Info
ESL Cafe Teaching jobs around the world
Backdoorjobs.com More jobs around the world
WWoOF.org Work on organic farms around the world
Onebag.com "If you're traveling by plane, why not experience the joys of travelling with just a single bag?"
Tales of Asia "Run by an American photographer that now lives with his (Thai) wife in Thailand and runs a guesthouse in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Lot of useful information, especially on Cambodia and Thailand. Some interesting stories about his own trips through Asia, along with a lot of readers' submissions."
UK Yankee's Forums Resource for expats and students going across the pond
U.S. Department of State Country Profiles

Travel & Local Info Megathreads
Japan Megathread and Megathread 2
Europe (Goldmine)
Backpacking in SE Asia
Scotland (Archives)
New York
San Francisco/Bay Area
Texas

CalamityKate fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2008

Adbot