Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
In about a month, I'm going to hop on a plane to Indonesia, then travel overland from Indo north to Russia, then back down to Cape Town via Europe, and whatever Arabic states.

Now, I've always found you can talk your way out of anything at borders with some ingenuity, but most visa rules I've peeped at say I have to put in when I'm exiting the country.

I want to just get a normal 30 day or whatever tourist visa and play with that as it comes, but I don't want to be refused entry anywhere, them thinking I'm not going to leave or something.

Does anybody know what I mean, know of this problem, and know of the trick to get out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Hostelworld
FlightAware
Skyscanner
Google Earth
XE Currency
Your bank's internat banking app
Osmos
Hexagon
Zen Bound 1/2

Also:
Apps for reading stuff on long journeys:
Pocket and then go to Longform.org and longreads.com and just go through page after page marking poo poo to read on long bus trips
Cracked
Toucharcade

And get an adventure game like Broken Sword or Beneath a Steel Sky (and if you're an idjit, you can probably save a gamefaqs faq to Pocket app for the relevant game) and get a couple endless runners. Jetpack Joyride for instance, or Temple Run if it floats your boat. There's a new one, Agent something or other that's just gone free. Snatch that up. Also Zen Bound is worth the cost. It's very, very good.

Remember, when travelling, aeroplane mode is your friend, and you can still use wifi in aeroplane mode. Remember to watch your brightness settings, don't sit in the sun with a full brightness setting when you can sit in the shade. Micromanaging your battery power is not silly, it's intelligent. I've been on 38 hour train rides and over 40 hour bus rides with no charge opportunities.

And of course, pick a nice Torch app, and don't be an idiot. Get Skype and Facebook. Your mother wants to know you're not a victim of anything but a few touts.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I walked into the American embassy in Perth, Australia, and showed them my American citizen of foreign birth form and my licence and was holding a brand new, plastic smelling, patriotic as gently caress U.S. passport within seven working days.

Can't he go to his local courthouse and pay a wee bit ($100) more to expedite? Or is Nebraska more a backwater than Australia?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Do not stress. Ecuador will always be there. You can always get more money. Check your ticket policies for refunding terms. Don't crowd the mailbox.

I always do poo poo like this. It's awesome. It's like free climbing on caffeine. I got to the Nepal/India border with no money and just walked through the border crossing, got money out at an ATM in Nepal, then walked back through and went through exit and entrance immigration. Don't stress. Travelling is flexibility.

Although yeah. Passports are pretty necessary. But I call this a good start!