Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Or, if you don't need to be where you're going on that exact day, volunteer yourself if it's overbooked, and get free money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FISHMANPET posted:

Spending my entire approximate budget to fly to Eastern Europe then be in a series of countries where neither of us speak the languages does not sound "easy" to me.

That's certainly something we want to do, just not now.

If you want to go international, you could probably go to Spain for that price. Madrid and Barcelona might be prohibitively expensive on that budget, but if you don't mind going to a smaller city I think it's a workable off-season budget (depending on what "a few thousand" means, and where you're flying from). I did Spain for a month on a budget of a few thousand, spending a lot of time in Madrid and paying very little attention to being frugal, so I wouldn't write international travel off entirely.

And it's very easy, because they're used to putting up with British travellers, who I assure you are far dumber, more ignorant, and more unpleasant to deal with than anything you can possibly muster, so you'll have a wonderful time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

futurememory posted:

Does anyone know of good travel resources for people wanting to travel in the midrange of budgets? Most magazines/blogs/etc. either cater to the backpacker/hostel community, or the uber-lux rich.

What resources are you looking for? Places to stay, things to do, restaurants/bars, etc.?

Accommodation-wise, I'd say your best bet is to follow business travel recommendations. Obviously, that is less likely to work for bars and restaurants, and not at all likely to work for activities.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

General opinion about hotels.com?

I like that I can pay for a hotel with a gift card (theirs are sold locally). But my concern is their prices might not be great?

I've used them a few times and I have no specific complaints, they've never hosed anything up for me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kuddles posted:

I don't even bother using comparison sites anymore because 9 times out of 10 the price difference being more than chump change is either the cheaper place is being misleading about additional fees/taxes or it's some weird situation with restrictions. Also, if you consistently use the same site, you'll get additional loyalty deals or discounts on your searches anyways.

In other words, use the one whose layouts/features you prefer. FWIW the only one I hear stories about beyond just a regular amount of clerical errors or overbooking accidents is Expedia.

Oddly, Expedia owns Hotels.com, yet I too have had awful loving experiences with Expedia itself and no problems whatsoever with Hotels.com.