Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Banana Yaya posted:

Maybe I'm dense, but as a non-native speaker this has been bothering me recently... In "Chasing It", Hesh puts Tony's net worth at "six". He means 600'000, right? I'm not very well-versed in colloquial US-money-speak.

I think it usually means thousands, millions, billions, etc. I don't know how much nice suburban houses in NJ cost but $6 million net worth seems more likely than $6 hundred thousand, assuming that he owns his house. Or maybe the point was that his house is basically his only legitimate big asset so on paper he is barely getting by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Banana Yaya posted:

I considered "six million" as a possible interpretation but was then confused as to why Tony was having such difficulties paying back a 200k loan.

I thought he was avoiding paying it back just to be a dick.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Then they go to Italy and Pauli doesn't like the food.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder how confused someone watching for the first time might be at the idea of being able to buy/steal a plane ticket and just hand it over to anyone to use.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Why the gently caress is every suggested video from this a Barbie video? I have never watched a Barbie video on YT

Apparently you are really missing out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140423005395/en/Amazon-HBO-Ink-Exclusive-Multi-Year-Deal-Bring#.U1fL0eZdU01

Looks like HBO is going with Amazon Prime to stream older stuff, including "The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Big Love, Deadwood, Eastbound & Down, Family Tree, Enlightened, Treme, early seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, as well as mini-series like Band of Brothers, John Adams and more." Newer stuff will appear three years after airing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Pagers are still in use in a lot of hospitals!

Yeah apparently pagers are ok in places where cell phones aren't because pagers don't transmit anything.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You're like an albacore around my neck!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a pyramid scam that leaves everyone basically living paycheck to paycheck. The cash-only nature of the business and the need to maintain an ostentatious lifestyle doesn't leave much room for long-term financial stability. The old guys who got pretty high up but didn't move into McMansions and drive Hummers or Benzes were probably the best off, but didn't show it.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 5, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

I thought there were younger members, but they were the absolute lowest of the low street-level enforcers, robbers and dealers. I just assumed Chris jumped up the 'company' ladder because of his connections, but wasn't allowed to progress after that because (as you say) the older members always take precedence.

I suppose it was ridiculously unsustainable, and there was laughably little there to replace the organization once the older generation died/got locked up/went all Junior in the mental department.

It almost comes out in the one where he gets pissed about paying for dinner all of the time. Tony says something about it being tradition and how he had to do the same, but there is never any sign that anyone is coming up to be the new guy below Chris.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They did do a good job of portraying the most New Jersey of dirtbags.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For the episode where Valentina catches fire, the synopsis says something about Tony and Valentina's relationship heating up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You guys are crazy; Johnny Cakes is great.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He walks up to the house and Tony B. dressed as a butler is trying to persuade him to go in and join everyone else and leave the briefcase outside.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He does see a figure inside that looks a lot like the dark figure that he saw in the dream where he was a stonemason.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is the part where he shows up at the Armagnac guy's apartment and looks right at him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They were probably doing the guy a favor by killing him; the shape he was in.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mints posted:

We're talking about worst beatings that got dealt on the show, and not one mention of poor Sal Vitro. Guy had a legitimate job that wasn't connected to the mob at all until Feech got out of jail and decided that he wanted to set his nephew up in lawn care. The way his arm was broken still makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Not to mention constantly looking so glum about having to do all of those lawns for free. The happy look on his face when Tony told him that he could finally stop doing Johnny Sac's lawn was great.

edit: He also got arrested by the FBI for shoveling snow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Other weird 90s things include the stolen airline tickets. The idea of being able to just walk up to a counter at the airport and hand over this envelope that you scored from a guy on the street to book a flight seems crazy now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

I just watched season 5 ep 11.

I think.

What did I just watch?

One of the awesomest bits of TV that you will ever see.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always wondered if he had to keep one girlfriend for going out with everyone's wives, and another for going out with everyone's goomahs.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We need a screwball comedy sequel set in the present day where, by some improbable turn of events, Little Carmine and AJ have inherited the whole business.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

I've been rewatching parts of the series again and one thing I'm suddenly realizing is how much emphasis there is on food. Aside from Artie's restaurant there are tons of scenes where Tony is either eating or mentioning food, family dinners, etc.

Try to find a scene where Tony walks into the kitchen and doesn't immediately open the refrigerator.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also because people are willing to pay.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of my favorite Paulie moments is in season one when Christopher throws a box of pastries on a pool table. He runs in, yells "Oooooohh, the sfogliatelle, what's wrong with you?!" grabs the box and leaves.

Does he take it to his mother later or was that a different box of pastries?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

No matter how many times it's explained I will never understand what they were doing with this poo poo. Or whatever they were doing with the crack den houses.

Basically they are ways to siphon off construction and redevelopment money from various sources.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
At the end of the day the government has paid a lot of money for some basically worthless (and stripped) houses.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They basically live paycheck to paycheck where an unexpected expense or delay in payment means that you are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ishamael posted:

I don't remember, but it did make me think of this scene, in which Tony completely and utterly humiliates and emasculates some d-bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp1bGuiHHs

That was a great staredown.

• Locked thread