Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

Great, will do. I've seen the gas ones, already in the US, with free freight for $6k. The Diesel 2-ton units are a bunch more, but I would expect they're much more reliable and powerful. Prices for a Yanmar/Takauchi/Bobcat miniex locally are much higher than you paid, more like $20-25k with plenty of wear.

The LOL option is to buy a big machine, use it, and then try to sell it, Waldo-style. I'm not looking to make it easier to mow my lawn, but I've got a 700' trench to dig, and a path of 60'x1600' of trees to clear. This is all long-term stuff, so a small unit that I can use to pick away at it plus use for other stuff would be great.

Examples: https://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/newmarket-2002-volvo-ec55-mini-excavator/7719131763.html (small)
https://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/newmarket-2010-bobcat-435-mini-excavator/7719130921.html (small)
https://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/stafford-caterpillar-3018-excavator/7708485534.html (small)
https://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/londonderry-halla-excavator/7721376569.html (big)

Given it's in New England, this sounds like you're going to also want a rotary hammer and a set of feathers and wedges so you can split large rocks in your way instead of making your trench look like a Boston road map or having to totally remove the rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Given it's in New England, this sounds like you're going to also want a rotary hammer and a set of feathers and wedges so you can split large rocks in your way instead of making your trench look like a Boston road map or having to totally remove the rocks.

They don't call it the Granite State for nothing

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

kastein posted:

My New England yard is free of stones. Instead it’s 10 feet of impervious clay.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those are just very small stones

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

Other work aside, how deep and wide do you need the trench to be that you can't use a dirt chainsaw(trencher) for it?

Minimum code depth for 4" conduit, plus at least 2 if not 3 pull boxes, and I'm gonna guess a LOT of rocks.

See attached... It's rocky, and 13% grade

LightRailTycoon posted:

My New England yard is free of stones. Instead it’s 10 feet of impervious clay.
Mine only has very small, round small pieces of New Hampshire and lots of sand. Cape Cod be like that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 28, 2024

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

massive rusty old caterpillar D11 or D15 I forget

Probably a D7 as I think that's the biggest dozer he has. A D7 is a medium* sized dozer and an older one like his is probably about 1/5th the mass of a D11 which is Cat's biggest dozer.

*Medium by dozer standards but it's still a big machine

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

TBH, I'd probably source a spare spool valve to start. Hose end availability might be a problem, and I'll look into it. If enough are the same, I'll just buy some ends and bulk hose. New Hampshire has plenty of shops with the ability to crimp them on.

For the overall price I'd think that's entirely financially reasonable to have a decent machine that you know you can fix within a couple of days. Nothing you'd want to be running for actual paid site work probably, but definitely top notch home gamer stuff.

Note: the hose shop will complain about your fittings/the hose that came with the machine if you're just getting them to crimp ends on it and say they won't warrantee it and you just have to stare at them dead eye, pause for a couple of seconds and say "no poo poo, did you really think I expected that when I'm bringing you this junk?" and they'll usually stop complaining. YMMV.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

For the overall price I'd think that's entirely financially reasonable to have a decent machine that you know you can fix within a couple of days. Nothing you'd want to be running for actual paid site work probably, but definitely top notch home gamer stuff.

Note: the hose shop will complain about your fittings/the hose that came with the machine if you're just getting them to crimp ends on it and say they won't warrantee it and you just have to stare at them dead eye, pause for a couple of seconds and say "no poo poo, did you really think I expected that when I'm bringing you this junk?" and they'll usually stop complaining. YMMV.

LOLChoice: Buy a Parker hydraulic swage tool. I re-hosed our small research vessel with a hand-pumped one. It suuuuuucked, but saved a ton of money and let me run hoses through stuff and then crimp the ends on.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

sharkytm posted:

LOLChoice: Buy a Parker hydraulic swage tool. I re-hosed our small research vessel with a hand-pumped one. It suuuuuucked, but saved a ton of money and let me run hoses through stuff and then crimp the ends on.

Not a lol choice at all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

High pressure adapter fittings from Euro/Asian threads to commonly found North American threads are a thing. Buy an adapter to go from said mystery thread to JIC/ORB/whatever even NPT and then just use regular hoses going forward from a local hose shop.

The valving and HPU components are the parts that would concern me most about whether they're available at all or something you can "reasonably" retro.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

High pressure adapter fittings from Euro/Asian threads to commonly found North American threads are a thing. Buy an adapter to go from said mystery thread to JIC/ORB/whatever even NPT and then just use regular hoses going forward from a local hose shop.

I see you've never worked on one of these things :) The stock fittings/hose barely fits in most places other than out on the boom. I can't imagine getting adaptors in there too. Sometimes you're really going to need to get a hose made. This is a particular issue on the valve body/spool and at the pedals.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Totally legit and fair point. I've personally worked on some and sure, space constraints can be an issue but, luckily, I find issues like that to be more the exception than the rule but it certainly will be what you remember but can be an issue for sure. That's the kind of thing you need to go into with open eyes buying equipment like that.

Personally, I'd rather go with a used "readily" available NA market unit that you can service than new but Chinese mystery maker. But that's just me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Personally, I'd rather go with a used "readily" available NA market unit that you can service than new but Chinese mystery maker. But that's just me.

Me too generally, but that also depends on price. The decision here is a used and partially clapped out $20k machine vs a brand new $6k machine and another grand worth of replacement parts to keep on hand and you're using it just at home so if it breaks it's an inconvenience rather than a business loss. The correct decision gets a lot more fuzzy and specific to your particular needs in this case but if you're not putting a ton of hours on it and it's going to spend most of its life as a lawn/barn ornament.......

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Whatever the choice is, ensure to post about it here with enough updates so we can all experience the cheap excavator vicariously through you.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

blindjoe posted:

Whatever the choice is, ensure to post about it here with enough updates so we can all experience the cheap excavator vicariously through you.

Not emptyquoting.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
I own a mini excavator (used, mid 90's Bobcat, 7500lbs or so, kubota diesel) and live in New England, and I could not conceive of using a machine that is an ounce smaller for doing any dirt work in this area. If you are dealing with rocks, stumps, or anything other than sand/loam/whatever, do yourself a huge favor and buy something heavier/more powerful than those Chinese mini excavators. Weight makes a much larger difference in digging power than you might think.

I have no doubt they would excel at light landscaping, fitting in tight areas, or very light work in areas of the country that aren't a rockpile like New England, but if I had to do it all over again, having bought a machine that's quite a bit heavier and more powerful than the Chinese gas diggers I would scrape together another few bucks and get something bigger. I am constantly up against the limits of what my mini-ex can do, and I'm just a homeowner doing very light clearing, landscaping, ditching, etc.

I totally get trying to save money, I had to buy mine in pretty rough shape and fix a few issues on it to swing it on my budget, but the Bobcat (not that I'm sold on that brand, substitute in any major supported manufacturer here) dealer had all of the parts at what I thought was a reasonable price in stock in a few days, including factory sheet metal, and provided support, service manuals, etc.

I love a good deal as much as the next car/heavy equipment guy, but with the unsupported by a manufacturer nature of the no-name Chinese excavators, that they appear to be very light but have stronger hydraulic pumps; making them tricky/dangerous for inexperienced operators, and will have a tiny fraction of the re-sale price of anything domestic, I would rather see anyone interested in a machine like this buy a rough looking but otherwise serviceable brand name unit.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

This is kind of where I'm at. Just not enough weight to be useful in any kind of hard digging. The smallest machine I've ran is a Kubota B21, which is still double the weight. It's ok, if slow going in sandy soil. Throw a couple rocks is there and you aren't getting any work done. I can't imagine trying to run the a similar size bucket in a 2000lb machine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MrDeSaussure posted:

I own a mini excavator (used, mid 90's Bobcat, 7500lbs or so, kubota diesel) and live in New England, and I could not conceive of using a machine that is an ounce smaller for doing any dirt work in this area. If you are dealing with rocks, stumps, or anything other than sand/loam/whatever, do yourself a huge favor and buy something heavier/more powerful than those Chinese mini excavators. Weight makes a much larger difference in digging power than you might think.

I have no doubt they would excel at light landscaping, fitting in tight areas, or very light work in areas of the country that aren't a rockpile like New England, but if I had to do it all over again, having bought a machine that's quite a bit heavier and more powerful than the Chinese gas diggers I would scrape together another few bucks and get something bigger. I am constantly up against the limits of what my mini-ex can do, and I'm just a homeowner doing very light clearing, landscaping, ditching, etc.

I totally get trying to save money, I had to buy mine in pretty rough shape and fix a few issues on it to swing it on my budget, but the Bobcat (not that I'm sold on that brand, substitute in any major supported manufacturer here) dealer had all of the parts at what I thought was a reasonable price in stock in a few days, including factory sheet metal, and provided support, service manuals, etc.

I love a good deal as much as the next car/heavy equipment guy, but with the unsupported by a manufacturer nature of the no-name Chinese excavators, that they appear to be very light but have stronger hydraulic pumps; making them tricky/dangerous for inexperienced operators, and will have a tiny fraction of the re-sale price of anything domestic, I would rather see anyone interested in a machine like this buy a rough looking but otherwise serviceable brand name unit.
All good points. I'm keeping my options open. I'm meeting an excavation contractor on Wednesday, so they'll be doing the heavy lifting. I'm gonna bug a few locals who might have a similar size machine and see if I can poke the dirt with it. There are plenty of big machines for not huge money, but anything in the middle (i.e. easily transported but usable sized) are like 25k.

blindjoe posted:

LOL. We'll see. Long term project, and I'm not one for posting updates.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
If anyone’s in the market for a fancy clamp meter the Klein CL700 is on sale at Amazon for about $76 normally around 120.

e: another amazon seller even has it a couple bucks cheaper, so under $75

e; drat that's huge now that i see it on a PC, sorry all

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 7, 2024

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wifi Toilet posted:

If anyone’s in the market for a fancy clamp meter the Klein CL700 is on sale at Amazon for about $76 normally around 120.

e: another amazon seller even has it a couple bucks cheaper, so under $75

keep in mind that, like most cheap clamp meters, that's AC only. gotta pony up for hall effect if you want DC clamp measurement

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

keep in mind that, like most cheap clamp meters, that's AC only. gotta pony up for hall effect if you want DC clamp measurement

This one is cheap and does the job. Perfect toolbox/trunk meter: https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Multimeter-Auto-ranging-Resistance-Capacitance/dp/B08MTCMWLB

If you're doing line voltage, yeah, get the Klein CL800 at twice the price of the 700 for DC clamp functions.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Are those real Klein or knock offs? Are you willing to risk it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I was just going to ask the same drat thing.

edit: basically from Amazon

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Motronic posted:

This one is cheap and does the job. Perfect toolbox/trunk meter: https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Multimeter-Auto-ranging-Resistance-Capacitance/dp/B08MTCMWLB

If you're doing line voltage, yeah, get the Klein CL800 at twice the price of the 700 for DC clamp functions.

drat, I think that's even less than I paid for my AliExpress DC clamp meter.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Amazon has become far less reliable than Aliexpress now. At least the knockoffs say they’re knockoffs on Ali

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Biggest problem I have with it is that you're still paying Klein/Fluke/whatever adjacent prices... But could get trash. If I pay for crap and get crap that's on me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Amazon has become far less reliable than Aliexpress now. At least the knockoffs say they’re knockoffs on Ali

Agreed. But for that particular tool I linked the amazon link is from their site.....astroai seems to sell exclusively through amazon and it's not gonna get any cheaper than that. Their tools are serviceable but not well thought out (annoying user interface issues). What I've had and used of their is good considering the incredible low price.

With the meters specifically, if you want to do anything for real with them other than occasional you need to just throw away the leads they come with and buy something better. But they are all banana plug so you should have/be able to find better leads easily.

And to be clear, my big boy meters are what get used for actual line voltage. These toys are for car work, where you're dealing with 12 volts and low amperage.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 7, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Never bought a thing through Ali or wish or whatever, but the ease of returns thru Amazon is only beaten by Costco imho

For now at least

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Never bought a thing through Ali or wish or whatever, but the ease of returns thru Amazon is only beaten by Costco imho

For now at least

I consider the discount on my purchase price from aliexpress to be my warranty. I'm using a $24 backup camera + display on my tractor that should have been $100+ for sketchy amazon quality and $200+ for actual quality.

Is this the right thing to do in every situation? Of course not. But I don't need easy returns to china when I'm paying pennies.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

You can get some stupidly cheap meters these days. I just would use caution measuring anything higher than residential line voltage with them. and swap out the lead set for something quality, like probemaster.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Uni-T 210e and 210d are solid choices for small cheap meters. AC/DC clamp meter with most basic multimeter functions for $50 from a reputable, at least by Chinese standards, company.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Check out this sicknasty sparkplug thread cleaner. It has a little tapered plug, like an expanding reamer. You put the chasing tap in collapsed, expand it back out to size, and then thread it through in reverse. https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-6...159&sr=8-1&th=1

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh that's neat as hell. Add a shop vac to blow into the intake, turn the engine over till you feel air rushing out of the plug hole, and tap and you have zero concerns about debris falling into the cylinder.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Weird, I had just seen this pop up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB9APFjfxIs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That seems like the thing i would buy and then hope i would never have to use.

Mount it on the wall in one of these. https://www.amazon.ca/Fairly-Odd-Novelties-Emergency-Savings/dp/B00LI66BOE

e: lmfao

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

MrDeSaussure posted:

This is similar to what I was going to post. I bought a bobcat e26 last year (about a 6k machine) with about 800 hrs. I also live in the northeast and have used it for a buncha digging and moving 2-3' boulders. I would not have been happy with a smaller machine.

In any case, get a hydraulic thumb and preferably a 2 speed if you have a lot of distance to cover, excavators are slow.

edit: and to motronic, I posted a long while ago about getting a tractor/loader/backhoe vs excavator, I believe you posted that a backhoe is not nearly as nice to use as an excavator. You were correct, the backhoe on my b26 is mostly just kept on as a counterweight now.

dyne fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 12, 2024

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I got permission from my CFO/wife to bid on one of those cheap mini excavators at the next Richie Bros auction. If I succeed I’m sure I’ll be posting all the ways it fails me.

Mine would just be for around the house use. I have enough projects to do that it would be somewhat cheaper and a lot more convenient to own rather than rent.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Advent Horizon posted:

I got permission from my CFO/wife to bid on one of those cheap mini excavators at the next Richie Bros auction. If I succeed I’m sure I’ll be posting all the ways it fails me.

Mine would just be for around the house use. I have enough projects to do that it would be somewhat cheaper and a lot more convenient to own rather than rent.

If life was a TV show this is where there’s a hard cut to you working on it in your yard and Ron Howard says “It was not.”

Post pics though thats a cool tool

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 13, 2024

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

dyne posted:

This is similar to what I was going to post. I bought a bobcat e26 last year (about a 6k machine) with about 800 hrs. I also live in the northeast and have used it for a buncha digging and moving 2-3' boulders. I would not have been happy with a smaller machine.

In any case, get a hydraulic thumb and preferably a 2 speed if you have a lot of distance to cover, excavators are slow.

edit: and to motronic, I posted a long while ago about getting a tractor/loader/backhoe vs excavator, I believe you posted that a backhoe is not nearly as nice to use as an excavator. You were correct, the backhoe on my b26 is mostly just kept on as a counterweight now.

You wanna sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
No, they're too much fun :)