Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Anyone know the type of interface the Xcelite "99" series uses between its handle and blades? They look like this:

Reason I ask is at work I've got an electric screwdriver that uses that sort of interface, but about half size. I'll have to measure the diameter next time I'm at work (Monday), but it's roughly half the diameter of the Xcelite style shown above. I'd be interested in an extension or more bits for my driver, but I don't know what that style is to search for it generically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slung Blade posted:

This is why the metric system is a good idea.

Nah, we've got kips (kilopounds, 1000lb) but nobody uses them. I suppose the prefix of that is metric, BUT IT'S STILL POUNDS DAMMIT

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Now that I've got a hoist of my own, it's about time I look for a load leveler. I can't for the life of me find the harbor freight one, but I don't want a lovely one that I can barely turn with weight on it. There are a couple that look good, one is Summit brand and the other is OTC. I wouldn't be surprised if the Summit one is just a re-packaged OTC, I was wondering what you guys use.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I got a free air compressor on Craigslist. Dude was getting rid of it because it "didn't work" and he was moving. Turns out he just left in the plug in the intake that you're supposed to remove and replace with an air filter. I guess he tried to turn it on, and it popped the breaker. So, after pushing the button on the breaker and removing that plug (need to find an air filter for it, didn't come with) it pumped right up to its max pressure without any noticeable leaks. Time to go hunting garage sales for air tools! :D

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So do you guys like the wobble extension things? I was considering getting some when I was in HF today loading up on impact sockets, but I'm not convinced it would be anything but annoying in most cases. I guess I just want a regular extension, but they only seemed to have 3/8 impact extensions.

e:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Northern Tool has these -> http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381520_200381520

They are pretty nice for the price. I have a set in my tool box.

I have the HF version of this (in SAE) and they're awesome. The pivot makes them so useful. Unfortunately I lost my 9/16 one, which was the size I bought the set for in the first place. :doh:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Alright, I guess I'll snag the wobble extensions while they're still on clearance. Thanks to this thread I already bought a bunch of impact stuff to go with the rattlegun I got for xmas. I think I paid $51 including tax for three sets of drive adapters and everything (but the gun) in this drawer:

e: Anyone got any ideas what you're gonna use that 25% off any item coupon for on new years day? I don't think it applies to sale/clearance prices, but isn't that up to the cashier? What's the deal with coupon and sale prices, anyway?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 31, 2010

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lowclock posted:

:laugh:

'MURCA sokets :saddowns:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Which is to say, all their MIG and TIG stuff sucks. Get a Miller or Lincoln that you won't regret buying.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dielectric posted:

The more interesting magazines have 20% off coupons in them. Like Home Shop Machinist and a few of motorcycle mags. Probably not Hustler but it wouldn't hurt to look for a while. If you're a sneaky bastard you could go into B&N and rip a few out, or just buy the magazine and learn something.

The AAA "Via" magazine has one in it too, but it's got a lot of exclusions. I remember jacks were excluded, I don't know if motorcycle lifts would be part of that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
That's really drat cheap. Why's it so cheap? Oldschool analog CRT surplus scopes in the 40MHz range go for more than that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

:psyduck: Awesome.

poo poo, will anyone rent me a hydraulic press?

Generally it's just the "specialty" hand tools that they lend out, things like spring compressors or slide hammers or gear pullers or whatever. They have a full list here.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

That sounds pretty good, but I guess their logic is that if they offer the loaner tool, you'll be buying the parts that you're replacing from them also.

Though I think my perfectly serviceable spring compressors cost about £10, so I don't feel that cheated.

I would never have gone to Autozone if it weren't for the oil disposal and tool loaner programs, it definitely gets people in the store.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

There's nothing wrong with using Autozone parts for a beater. I've put multiple AZ alternators on cars as well as assorted hoses and batteries.

I just never think to go there. I usually use Kragen (now O'Reilley) for "whatever" stuff and Napa for the rest. So it's a great way for them to differentiate themselves and get people to remember about them.

Splizwarf posted:

Autozone's the only local place I can get Bosch ingnition stuff and filters.

Does their oil disposal program cost anything? I been stockpilin'.

Nope. I don't think they take filters though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

Also, buy a set of the adapters that are 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" drive shafts with hex heads, and you can use your gearwrenches as super-low profile socket wrenches. :chord:

This is a fantastic way to get to otherwise impossible to reach header bolts.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
With how huge that 3/4" ratchet is, it really makes the toolbox look small.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sockington posted:

When it comes to selecting a ratchet, also look at the tooth count. I find higher tooth count models to be a little smoother and are super useful in tight places.

I bought the Snap-on double 80-tooth ratchet (F80) and use it with my normal sockets. The way I see it, a single $80 purchase that I use all the time is worth it, and I can use cheaper sockets. Having the super smooth ratcheting action makes it so convenient, and there's almost nothing I do to a car where I don't need a 3/8 ratchet. I find it really easy to rationalize the one $80 purchase.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sharkytm posted:

No. Craftsman stuff, even the mid-grade boxes are generally pretty bad.
Amazingly, the best thing HF sells is their 42" toolbox. Mine is loaded with about 1500 lbs of tools, and hasn't skipped a beat. I'm seriously considering buying another for the garage. Check garage journal, there's plenty of info about toolboxes.

Namely:

They seem to like that toolbox just fine.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Oops! Moved to the sell-your-stuff thread.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 14, 2011

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

metallicaeg posted:

Over the course of several days at work I've read through the entire thread, but can't recall anyone commenting on these sets:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-flexible-wrench-set-66087.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-metric-flex-head-combo-wrench-set-66286.html

Reviews seem decent on their site and I was looking to pick some up as my first ratcheting wrenches.

I've got the SAE set (Minus the goddamn 9/16, which I lost). The ratcheting mechanism feels pretty tight, but it gets jammed sometimes and you have to jerk it the other way to un-jam it sometimes. The fit is OK, it doesn't feel necessarily sloppy, but it's not super finely manufactured either. They're not bad for the price, I use them every now and again, and they're not annoying to use. Nobody else seems to make a swiveling, non-reversible, combo ratcheting wrench like that. Thinking of getting the metric set.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

Except for the Gearwrenches that these are the generic knockoff of. :v:

I guess I haven't seen the flex-head Gearwrenches in stores, always the fixed or twisted ones. Looking on their website, looks like they do indeed make them that way. Might have to get a set, although Amazon sells the singles for $17. No way I'm going to pay that to replace my missing 9/16" one.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

I'm not restricting anything other than the price. Three people have looked at the truck, said something along the lines of "it's no good for winter" and then low balled me.

Maybe you should buy the Miata, then put the Lightning's drivetrain in it. That'll give you a nice little winter project, and then you don't have to worry about having too much torque in the truck!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Although it's not super low profile, I have the jack discussed in this thread on garagejournal, 3.5ton from Costco. It was like $90 when I got it about a year ago, and I've got to say that it seems nicer than the HF ones. Of course, any cheap Chinese jack is going to develop some issues over time, but it seems fine to me. Cheaper, too, if you can find it.

e: Actually, it looks about as low as that HF one. And.... pretty similar actually, "somehow". :tinfoil:

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 29, 2012

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Ugh, what's up with all this brakes love? I hate dealing with brakes. No matter how careful I am, I always seem to round off a flare nut or four, and the improvising gets more and more creative each time. Then bleeding is a pain, and twiddling with the adjusters through the stupid slot, it's just a pain in the rear end. I'll take a dead simple oil change any day over that noise!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

1. replace your bleeders with speed bleeders (and put the rubber caps on so they don't get gummed up)
2. gently caress drum brakes, disc swap is in your future
3. buy a drat good quality set of flare/line wrenches.
4. never use a wrench to get a bleeder screw broken free when you can put a 6 point socket over it. Aside from horribly rusted blob-shaped ones, I haven't rounded one off since I started doing this.

I've heard mixed reviews about speed bleeders, ought to try them sometime. I've driven manual disc before, not something I want to daily drive. I've never rounded a bleeder, I do use a 6-pt socket on them to break them free, it's the flare nuts that always go. I have a set of flare nut wrenches, but I have no idea how "good" they are.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lord Gaga posted:

To make one I am guessing drill a hole in JY brake fluid cap, insert valve stem, seal with jb weld, use bike tire/air compressor to push out fluid.

Is this what you did?

If not couldn't I do this for like $3?

The DIY ones (I looked into it, and intend to make one, someday) use one of those pesticide pump deals.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Who here loves the ratcheting wrenches?

I am thinking about purchasing a set at HF. I know the tools there aren't the best, but I have been having awesome luck.

I'd recommend spending a bit more for the Gearwrench ones. They're a lot thinner, the tolerances are nicer, and the ratchet action on the HF ones jam up if you put any reasonable torque into them. They unjam easily, but for something you'll use all the time (and you will) I think it's worth it to get the good stuff. I think Sears has some reasonable deals on them sometimes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Black88GTA posted:

e:^^^ I've got something like that I bought probably 10+ years ago. The set is called "The O-Ratchet" :quagmire: and it is awesome for certain jobs.

I have been sort of looking around for a new multimeter to replace my trusty but getting kind of beat Radio Shack fold up one. I was at HF the other day where I stumbled on this one which looked cool so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've only used it a couple times but I already love it. Need to know relative humidity? Or decibel level? Or luminance? Hertz? Temp? I probably will never need any of these things, but it's nice to know that I now have an instrument that will measure all of them for me.

When you select a function, it lights up the sockets you need to plug the test leads into, which is a bit :downs: but nice if you don't do this kind of thing every day. Oh, and it makes angry beeping sounds and flashes the correct socket light if you have the leads plugged in wrong. :haw: Nice big display with a switchable backlight, too. The probes have these removable little sleeves on the end of them which are open just at the very tip with a little space around it, so you can probe closely spaced pins without the probes slipping off or risking touching the other pins. Came with batteries even, although it says on the site that they're not included. My only gripe so far is how freakin big it is (think original Gameboy), and that there's no "peak hold" function. All in all, not too shabby for $38.

Son of a bitch, that's a pretty direct knockoff of the Protek 6300.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm normally very suspicious of anything from Harbor Freight which has electrons flowing through it, but I've got one of these, used it fairly regularly on motorcycles for a couple years now, and it still works great.

Looking at the reviews on HF's website, one guy measured the input resistance of the meter in voltage mode, and it swung between 300k and 500k - way off from the advertised 10M! It's probably fine for automotive use, where you aren't dealing with small current circuits, but I'd still not trust it as a general purpose multimeter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Raw_Beef posted:

16 amps aint poo poo, id expect a compressor to draw way more than that. Most cars made today roll with 60 amp fuses on their main power feed junction box.

Plan it well, like i said there is the possiblity you burn the house down and kill everyone youve ever loved.

16A at 230V is much more power than 60A at 12V.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PBCrunch posted:

I do a pretty good amount of work and I usually use Harbor Freight sockets with Snap-On Dual 80 ratchets. If you are going to have one really nice ratchet it should be 1/4" drive. If you are going to have two, get 1/4" and 3/8". Bonus points for flex heads.

This is the best way. Snap-on dual 80 ratchet, whatever sockets. I use 3/8 sockets more than anything though, so I have the 3/8 dual 80. Gear wrench wrenches, with assorted mostly craftsman misc combo wrenches to fill in the gaps. That'll cover 90% of everything.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Does anyone have experience using those BT OBD scanners with iOS? I was under the impression that to get any reasonable performance/functionality one had to use the wifi version because of iOS' miserable BT stack.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eddiewalker posted:

Theres no bluetooth serial in iOS. There may be a jailbreak hack, but I don't know if there's software that supports it.

That's what I'm finding. Looks like it's time to grab one of those seedy Chinese Android tablets for this sort of thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BraveUlysses posted:

Totally fine for everyday use. I try to keep mine from getting oily if I use them for non impact work.

This, the coating that they (at least the HF sockets) use doesn't really clean up too well, at least compared to chrome. Also they're kind of thick, so they can be kind of clunky. Other than that, go hog wild.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Looks like HF has a great deal on their clicker torque wrench. $10 with coupon. And a bunch of other stuff. I'll be sure to swing by there before the sale ends on Thursday. Hopefully they still have some in stock.
http://www.harborfreight.com/oct-tab1.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah, spiderjaws craftsman crusher thingy plus a long-handled 3/8 ratchet might do the trick.

The ratchet I'd use I don't think I've seen in this thread yet: this one from HD. Similar to the HF extendable one, but it feels sturdier to me. Maybe I've just used lovely examples of the HF ones, though. It's also got a locking swivel head! The first ratchet I reach for is my 80-tooth Snap-On, if something more tricky is required then this ratchet quite often saves the day.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Wow, it actually stays together? I have never seen a Husky ratchet I can't break within 2-3 uses with my bare hands. In fact I finally gave up on the ones included with my Husky socket set and started using them as tuck pointers for masonry work instead of ratchets :v: they do quite nicely.

It's been working great for me, but I think it's likely that I don't use my tools as hard as you do. People tell me that the Snap-On 80-tooth ratchet is supposed to be fragile too, but I love that tool. Something about using them as ratchets instead of hammers? Generally if I can't get it off with a little bit of grunting I'll break out the power tools or breaker bar, so they don't see a very hard life.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Anyone have any direct experience with the fractional HF digital caliper? The display is different so I assume the electronics are too, anyone know if there are any differences (in decimal mode) from the normal one? The box seems to think they have the same specs.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Holdbrooks posted:

I often just use an regular wrench, but I also have a set of craftsman 8 point sockets for square heads which sound like exactly what you need.

FYI they are often called "double square" by oldtimers if you go out looking for some.

Also, reminder, 12 is divisible by 4 so if you have the right size 12-pt socket that will work in a pinch.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Springs do not work like that! They wear from compress-decompress cycles, not from being stored compressed. It's like that wive's tale about unloading magazines when not in use.

Right? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Simkin posted:

Alternatively, new from a place like this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/spray-gun-W-101/202679_551299572.html

Are these places just scams? It seems like the prices are so much better than regular online retailers, is there a reason for that?

They're directly slow-boated from China, so if you're not in a hurry maybe it's worth it. I'd not expect much from their service but I've never used those kind of things except dealxtreme once. Took a couple months to get here but it was cheap.