Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for cheap(ish) OBD II readers that are compatible with Torque? I saw a BAFX recommended earlier in the thread but they won't ship to Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Well I just spent $419 on power tools to screw $30 worth of legs onto a $free door to make a desk. Sensible financial decisions!!

picked up this Milwaukee 12v combo here. Now I need to find more things to drill holes in!

https://sydneytools.com.au/milwaukee-m12cpp2a-421c-12v-2-0ah-4-0ah-fuel-li-ion-cordless-2pce-combo-kit

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

-Inu- posted:

You need to reevaluate your life if you need a payment plan for a loving dog in the first place.

So much this. Or are unwilling to care for it properly

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Uthor posted:

I need a new light to keep in my car for emergencies (I'm talking about a flood light to help with changing a tire, not a tactical light that would help me survive in the wilderness). I like the one I have, but the battery is less than great and it's dead when I go to use it if I don't charge it every few months.

I'd like to be able to run it off of the cig lighter in a pinch. Or be able to charge/run it off a USB charger.

Suggestion?

I have an Milwaukee M12 "area light" that came as a redemption bonus with my M12 impact/drill combo. It is loving amazing. I took it camping with me and on the 4a/h battery it lasted a week. My electrician buddy keeps trying to steal it because it's better than any of the stuff he has

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone want to talk me out of this Stanley socket set? Seems like a reasonable deal

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Stanley-Fatmax-1411-4-3-8-Drive-Socket-Set/399556?menuFrom=5041613

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
yeah it looks a bit poo poo even in the promo shots. I have to go past the store anyway so I might see if they have one I can have a play with

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I went and gave what Stanley tools SCA had on display a good shake in the case. Seemed "OK". Tellingly the one I linked earlier was a "FATMAX" branded version. There were no "FATMAX" branded sockets in store. I also bought a cheap SCA branded hook and pick set because I needed one. Bad move. Worst quality I've ever seen. I'm sure they'll remove a couple of o rings and washers but yeah, garbage.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

savesthedayrocks posted:

I picked up the Fuel M12 kit recently, well worth it. Ended up with 4 total batteries, hard case, drill, and driver for $229. Not sure if you are on reddit, but there’s a guy on the tool forum that cuts great deals.

That's just madness compared to what we pay in Oz. I've been really happy with my M12 kit despite paying almost twice as much and only getting 2 batteries

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
AvE did a tear down on some M18 knock-offs, he rated them pretty highly. Enough so that an electrician friend of mine snagged a couple to use at work. He ended up tearing them down and doubling up some of the wiring as it was not handling the current well. No problems after that.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

Best thing I spent $70 on was the og all plastic bodied Ozito brand rotary hammer. It's sds and I've lost count of the amount of 60mm holes and chiseling that has done over the 6yr period where it was in heavy use. They've since doubled the price and halved the quality though, only the OG ones were any good.

I just got an Ozito cordless glue gun to to try and fix some trim on the e36 and goddamn that thing is a piece of poo poo. I mean the Ozito. Ok and the e36 interior too.

I also had to buy a couple of screwdrivers to swap in some new trim pieces and assemble some ikea bullshit. I took the Ozito as a lesson and got some Wiha drivers rather than chinesium grade bullshit. I managed to justify the expense to the girlfriend by making an analogy to using good, sharp knives for kitchen prep vs using blunt ones. She was totally cool with it after that :v:

Jokes on me though, turns out that I ordered slightly the wrong part. Who knew that there would be multiple versions of the clip that holds the sun visor. She didn’t need those courtesy lights anyways… :rolleyes:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

:whatup: Wera Buddy

The Tool Check+ has come in super handy so far for tightening up hard to reach hose clamps in the engine bay and getting in other nooks and crannies. The tiny little ratchet is TINY and feels really good. I'm sure there are cheaper options but my feeling is that when you're stuck in a tight space you want something that just works

Larrymer posted:

I posted this in the other tools thread, but it seems more relevant than ever now. Recommend me a pump/siphon/whatever to drain gas from my snowblower and mower and transfer gear oil to transmissions. I've used those cheap lovely red transfer pumps that always leak and outright fail after a year or two for too long and want something better.

I put stabil in my mower and it cranked right up. Still need to drain the gas on my snowblower since the lovely pump failed last summer which required me putting stabil in the mower. :v:

I'm also in the market for one of these. I need to pump some ATF into a transmission with lifetime fluid. I'll be underneath the car so again, I want it to just work

I was looking at something like this

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

cakesmith handyman posted:

I haven't got it yet but the tiny ratchet does feel like a quality piece of kit. Any reason you didn't choose the colour coded keys?

For whatever reason they were twice the price. I couldn’t see any major difference other than the colour coding so I stuck with the standard ones.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

blindjoe posted:

Whats a good price for a Milwaukee M12 drill, or where do you look for deals?
I have a ridgid 12v drill that I could hand down, and I want one of the cordless tire inflators.
I already have M18, so I figure I could stay in the milwaukee brand.

Other option is to go with Ryobi to get their inflator, but then I would have another set of big batteries.
I want battery yard tools and mower, but I am debating getting the Stihl ones.

Basically I don't know what I want and everything is too expensive to just go impulse buy. Knowing things are on sale would influence what I did a lot.

If you already have Milwaukee m18 the nice thing about sticking with them is the m18 charger also does m12. It’s a small thing but that’s nice. I certainly have no complaints about my m12 brushless drill/driver combo.

I’m looking to see if the Ryobi line trimmer goes on sale anytime soon. I’d prefer to move into Milwaukee 18v stuff but there aren’t many places in Aussie that carry m18 gardening tools and it’s looking like sticking with red is going to set me back more than twice what I’d pay for the Ryobi.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
drat, I cut up a bunch of plywood and I’m left with mostly kindling. That is very nice.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

spog posted:

I think my fuel pump is on the way out.

Schraeder valve on the fuel rail, so will one of these work okay?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-Vacuum-Tester-Carburetor-Pressure/dp/B075TYJ4WZ/ref=lp_5136313031_1_9

You can also do like I did and jam a screwdriver in the end of the valve. It won’t tell you an exact pressure but will tell you if there is SOME pressure. Wear goggles and don’t put your face in the way please.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

spog posted:

The bloody annoying thing is that my car is an LPG conversion and so it only runs on petrol until the temp gauge moves, then it switches to gas and the tank pump is redundant anyway.

Oh that sounds fun to troubleshoot. Pretend I posted that gif of Zach Galfinikis doing algebra

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have a metric one with the mini ratchet etc. I think it's great. Useful on some real tight spots around the engine bay.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/wera-39-piece-tool-check-plus-combination-kit_p6060222

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hi team, I'm looking for some recommmendations for the the AI: Secret Santa thread I'll be posting up in a couple of weeks.

I'd like suggestions for quality/useful/fun tools etc that are commonly available around the $20US price range. This way I can provide a good list of sugesstions for people to make the chosing process a little easier.

Have at it!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
:siren::siren: AI: Secret Santa Registration Closes Soon! :siren::siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

Please come sign up. We currently have 30 signups out of the 50 I am aiming.

Please see below for a VERY generous offer from McTinkerson

McTinkerson posted:

Any Canadians that have yet to sign up will get a 4 pack of locally brewed tall boys delivered to their door. [No IPA's because gently caress that.] Any American that signs up who hasn't yet and has at one point owned something powered by Doritos will get a 1.5L bottle of La Fin Du Monde.

Edit: Subject to availability of the special 1.5L bottles. They are usually available for xmas.

I'm still offering participation prizes for Kiwis & Aussies!

Don't miss out

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
For those who may not frequent the chat thread..

:siren: AI:SS reminder :siren:

We are fast approaching the deadline for sign ups! Please sign up now! It's the most fun you can have with dicks in a box!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981364