Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Worm gear hose clamps are terrible at being hose clamps, but excellent at being extremely beefy zip ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

eddiewalker posted:

How fast does it pour? I’m putting 12 gallons in the mower at a time.

Slightly slower than pre-regulation cans, but not bad. It's best if there's a way to rest the can on whatever you're filling.

I'm a big fan of the Nospill cans. Justrite safety cans with the built-in steel nozzle are also excellent (and rebuildable).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I approve of this sock consensus. I wear darn tough and ask for more every christmas, and I backfill (because I wear wool socks every day, year round) with the costco socks. 10/10 wear wool socks.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

stinch posted:

never knew they did a miniature set of their water pump pliers.

https://www.knipex.com/cobra-xs

knipex is a bit spendy for around the house tools though.

I daily carry the next size up at work and they're absolutely the most useful tool I've ever had in my pocket. Saved my rear end countless times. ~4 years on the same pair. I can still pull a (easy to grab) splinter out with them, and I've done poo poo like put them on a bolt and stand on the top handle to reach a fitting on an excavator. Best tool.

e:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 19, 2021

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Have any of you used one of those cheapo smoke machines from Amazon (the $120ish units)? Are they good enough for occasional use at home or will I use it once and then after a year of sitting in its box it never works again?

I've got one, similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JVT1NG2/

It's great, produces smoke, comes with good adapters that'll do most of what you might need. The only thing they're missing is a flow gauge, which can help with checking for small evap leaks without looking for smoke.

9/10, worth the purchase. Already saved my rear end on an evap fix and finding a vacuum leak.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The Hansen trays are incredible, but not if you have a habit of bringing socket rails to the work. They're better if left in the drawer.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

So I'm thinking that it's time to get a caliper for more accurate measuring (especially if I'm going to start doing my own 3D print models). However, are digital calipers that much better to have, or am I better off getting an analogue one but from a (what I understand) good well known brand like Mitutoyo?
Any recommendations in general?

My recommendation is always these
https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00KDUD67G
Absolute origin, don't drain the battery, and as accurate as you can expect from any calipers.

If you want something slightly cheaper, these are also great. Also don't have the battery drain problem that really cheap digital calipers have.
https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Electronic-Digital-Fractions-Stainless/dp/B001AQEZ2W

I've got a couple of each of those that receive varying degrees of abuse, they all still work great.

e: Also, if you want to just buy once, Mitutoyo digital calipers are about $130
https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-196-30-Advanced-Measuring-Resolution/dp/B00IG46NL2/

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 25, 2021

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I used to wear out my boots (redwing 606) because the leather would fall apart despite lovingly coating them with expensive-rear end naturseal every week. I never made it to the point of getting them resoled.

Most recent pair are over 2 years old, resoled about 4 months ago.
Whenever they're relatively clean in the morning, I hose them down with fluidfilm from the undercoat gun. Takes like 30 seconds and works awesome. Lanolin is magical.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The trick with winter work gloves is to have more than one pair, maybe of varying levels of insulation/dexterity. That's especially true if you're likely to warm up and cool down from working hard, or doing anything that will get your hands wet. The perfect winter work glove becomes the worst one if conditions change.

At least that's what I run into, but my job is 10h days in the field with nowhere warm nearby.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

That too. Thin gloves stay on the radiator really well if you tuck them under the overflow hose :v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've got a kit built that's pretty well organized. Not the same size as that pile of tools but it might give you some ideas. I use this for roadtrips, some of it for junkyards, etc. I've been meaning to post pictures of this in here for a long time anyways since talking about mobile kits like a year ago.

Harbor freight pelican case knockoff, really goddamn nice boxes.

That's roughly the bottom layer of stuff. Wrenches are in a tool roll I made, and the pockets are oversized so I can stuff ratcheting wrenches in next to the regular box ends.

Bags of drivers and other small tools(somehow currently missing my 1/4" hex bit kit??), a bag of ratchets, bigger sockets, a 1/4" hex driver, and extensions (sometimes there's an axle nut socket in here too), and a bag of two-handled-pinchy-things. Snips are awesome for yanking off rattling heat shields, big channel locks are super useful in various situations, little bolt cutters, klein pliers-wrench, and otherwise normal stuff.

Electrical stuff. This varies depending on what's going on. Used to be a butane soldering iron, but I'm going to throw a Pinecil in there once they're back in stock. Overkill, but it takes up very little space. Fuses, crimps, jumpers, etc. Also a bag with zip ties and a clamptite.

Another little home made tool roll that keeps files from banging together, and keeps a mirror from being scratched. Bonus place to store trim tools. I don't usually have that big multimeter, it's normally a Fluke 101.

I've also got part of a 1/4" drive kit that I'll sometimes throw in there, as well as a pared-down 1/2" kit, usually only bringing the sizes that should exist on the car if it's coming on a road trip. I don't usually take duplicate sizes of anything, keeping 3/8" the primary size.

It's great, I love the hell out of it. Saved my rear end 3-4 times since I made it a couple years ago, and it's been endlessly handy otherwise.

20 minute brake job in an autozone parking lot almost 3000 miles from home after the pads almost completely seized in the brackets.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 11, 2022

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the Central Pneumatic air powered grease gun? I need an additional kind of grease and this thing is on clearance for basically the same price as a normal grease gun. I don't have any trouble with cheap guns (at least not now that I keep the spring retracted when I'm not using them), I'm just wondering if an air powered one is worth the extra two bucks.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it's... fine. My first one died, but it sat around and was barely used. Second one has been going strong for ~2 years as my second pneumatic grease gun at work with 40-50 tubes through it. I've got a Lincoln in the shop for maintenance and the HF over by a wash bay so I can use it after cleaning equipment.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

We use bolt depot at work. They by far have the best combo of price/shipping speed/catalog quality/selection out there. I actually never noticed they have JIS, but generally when I need one of those it ends up coming from McMaster because I need it right now and they do same-day delivery (because Ohio).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've got the oemtools 24444 and imo it's the best one around (certainly for the price). Astro and a ton of others make a very similar version that I think is not as good. Plastic body, weird valve for the shop air, weird hanging setup, etc.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 22, 2022

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Years ago I made a 1/2" drive tap wrench/breaker bar thing at work. I took one of the old school sliding t handle breaker bars, cut the sides of the sliding part off (so it was like a badly coped/notched noint above a 1/2" square drive) and welded it to 3/4" black pipe. We used it to tap 1" NPT and it worked great. Dug around between 12 point, triple square and 8 point sockets to find one that fit, and wrapped some electrical tape around it to keep the tap from falling out.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I want the M18 one but I have no use for it at home. Everything I have personally has low-ish profile tires or tiny wheels. I do use the M12 version regularly. I've got a presta adapter on it and use it for mtb tires every time before a ride. Keeps me from having to store a 2' tall bike pump that's only good at one thing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The difference between my old grey low profile at home and the new regular 3 ton Daytona I have at work is astonishing. Just dragging the Daytona around makes it immediately apparent how much nicer it is.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Commodore_64 posted:

I have /my brother has a few different Daniels closed barrel crimpers. My boss asked me what I'd recommend for doing a few closed barrel deutsch connectors and balked at trolling EBAY for some potentially out of spec units for $$$. He bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimper-Impression-Deutsch-Contacts/dp/B07V1C6N2V and seemed to have good luck. I'd suggest a pull test after using it, or run max current through it and see if it gets too hot.

FWIW I have a couple different IWISS crimpers and they've been great.

Advent Horizon posted:

Time to order brake line tools - I put all the Eastwood stuff together and their “Free Shipping!” estimate was $122. That puts me squarely into hydraulic tool territory.

I’m seriously considering this Mastercool for $331: https://www.mastercool.com/product/72475-universal-hydraulic-flaring-tool-set/

Any suggestions for a good deburring tool for 3/16” cupronickel brake line?
Absolutely get it. It's sometimes a little clunky in tight areas but it's as good as it gets for any time you can't otherwise bring the brake line to the tool.

Also,
https://www.amazon.com/Noga-NG1200-Ng1200-Rotodrive-Countersink/dp/B002K075GU
Single flute makes it super clean, and it'll do 1-11mm

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Some grease resists oozing everywhere pretty well, but also it's all expensive bearing grease. I don't think there's a single pin grease that doesn't dribble like mad.

In my work truck I keep my grease guns in a 5 gallon bucket with a false bottom (which is actually one of those car wash dirt trap bucket inserts) that keeps them out of the goo. It's a service body truck though. Bucket might be sort of annoying inside.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

...unless they're all bolted together and fold out like a Swiss army knife.

I used to work with someone who disassembled one of those so he could fit a hex key in a weird spot (and turn it with a screwdriver jammed in the hole). I reassembled it and a couple days later found all the keys removed again and thrown in the already horrifyingly unorganized toolbox.

The trick is to just never work with or around anybody else, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Because the internet is a nightmare to search anymore with my results coming back as loving VIDEOS and not SLIDESHOWS like I want, does anyone have a good plan for a folding sawhorse?

My favorite folding sawhorses are the super simple plywood and a piano hinge version. One side is a little taller than the other to make the wear surface, chain to keep the legs spaced.

https://ibuildit.ca/projects/make-folding-saw-horses/
I've got versions of this made out of OSB that have been surviving for years and years, some are even single-panel sides instead of the lapped together thing he's doing. Optionally can make a folding shelf to keep the legs spaced instead of chain.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 4, 2023