Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
My Canadian tire torque wrench is locking up (the ratchet jams) but still works, and I broke the 24mm gear wrench the second time i used it. No real abuse, either.

Where's a good place to buy cheaper tools in Canada? Basically it's princess auto or crappy tire for me. Snap-on is too expensive for me, a lot of it doesn't seem worth the cost. How is sears these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Argenteus posted:

I'm going to start working in a shop soon and I'm looking for some 1/2" air impact recommendations. I was eyeing the aircat 1150 on amazon which seems to be well regarded. Anything else I should be looking at? I don't mind spending some money if it means I'll have it for years to come.

I have a super quiet ingersolll rand 2132G I just bought, 600ft-lbs, 82 db. Makes sort of a clicking sound instead of a deafening racket. I really need a 3/8ths hose though, all we get at work is 1/4 inchers :(

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

sharkytm posted:

Don't ever use one on the headgasket surface of an engine, ever. The aluminum oxide from them gets everywhere, and will royally gently caress up everything.

Like, from ether powder loving up the bores/grinding away at things? Or is there a powder+coolant chemistry thing?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I can't think of any other thread to put this and I haven't found any good review sites: I'm needing a new pair of work boots/shoes. I work in a shop, concrete floors. I'd like them to be light and comfortable. Also important is that they be oil resistant and breathe well. My budget is up to 300$ or so, unless more gets me significantly better footwear. Fashion isn't super important, but if it matches dark blue and grey work clothes, that doesn't hurt either :) also, I live in Canada, for what it's worth.

Thanks!

Edit: it'd also be nice if they weren't awful to drive in. I'm an auto tech, so I'm constantly test-driving cars.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 6, 2015

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hey, cool, looks like Carolina has a narrow foot option, which is great for me because I have clown feet.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have a set of Irwin's. I am not sure if they are the model your talking about, but its worth every loving penny. Add a crimper, and every connection you will make looks :perfect:

I think I have 40 bucks in both. Its so worth every penny.

Second the Irwins. I have knockoff set I got at princess auto, which looks exactly the same but with power-fist printed on them instead of Irwin. Those fuckers make any wiring job so much easier. I've used them on wires between 10 and like 20 gauge, not a single issue in hundreds of uses. Combined with my ratcheting terminal crimpers, I'm definitely not ashamed to show people my work.

On electrical though, can anyone recommend me a nice soldering iron for automotive electrics? I'm in need of a new one.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
can anyone help me figure out who makes this angled socket? it's fixed at 45 degrees, but does it very well. the guy who showed it to me said this one was some kind of pre-production prototype, and that it was intended for aircraft maintenance work. same guys apparently also designed a 90 degree system as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1koMdJdg60

edit: there are no identifying markings and the part would have been designed/made in north america

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I have a Fluke 88V I love to death and is one of 3 multimeters I'm allowed to use as per mercedes-benz for measuring ignition circuits on airbags without making party balloons. If you need a good meter, get a fluke. if you're just dicking around with 12V, most cheap 12V meters should be fine for you.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

MRC48B posted:

Uh. We Americans love european tool brands. we just can't loving afford them.

on average, I'd say Snap-on, Mac, Matco, etc are much more expensive than the euro stuff, even factoring in freight.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

1/2" extendable ratchet is $11.99 with coupon code 12325378, expires Sunday. They can enter the code at the register.
I discovered today that a lady at my local HF remembers my address and knows me as "Whiskers". :tinfoil:

You need to move. Do it at night, leave no forwarding address. Maybe change your name.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

CatBus posted:

Interesting tip! I need to try it.

I've been preaching heat guns for starting charcoal for years, I've even started seeing BBQ-branded heat guns. (at like 400% the cost of a normal heat gun)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Electric impacts (at least ones that rival proper 1/2" air impacts) are also way bigger and heavier. If you're working on cars, that's more fatigue and less clearance. No hose to drag around is nice though, no question.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

Princess auto has a 1" drive extendable ratchet that i have to play with every time i go in there.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-in-dr-extendable-ratchet/A-p8594699e

I would probably only ever need it once a year, but it would be awesome to have. Yeah it looks like a regular one in the pic, but it's roughly the size of a baseball bat.

I have an EZ-RED ratchet about that size I bought off a Mac truck for like 160$. Love that thing for big rear end bolts and nuts because I have a slender build and need leverage. Ratchet has like, 20 teeth though, pretty rough.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

KozmoNaut posted:

I dunno, the headlamp I bought some years ago has been absolutely awesome, and I think it's some kind of random no-name Chinese model, the only marking is "Goliath" on the lamp itself, but it doesn't match anything I can find on Google.
It's got a 1W LED (supposedly), long battery life on 3xAAA and the lens is really great, it gives a perfect beam with no hotspots at all. I have no idea what it was actually supposed to cost, it was marked wrong at the store and only cost me ~$5.

I also have a Fenix E05 on my keychain, and it's great. Out of the three output modes, it starts out at around 8 lumens, which is usually more than enough, and should last for almost 15 hours on 1xAAA. The high output mode is 80-something lumens, which is more than any incandescent flashlight I've ever owned.

There's definitely an arms race for the highest possible light output, but in the middle segments and especially with the 2/3-mode models, you can usually find a suitable amount that won't completely blind you from reflections. I've found that I'm much more interested in the lowest output level a flashlight will do, because even <1 lumen can be plenty to find your way around in the dark, without completely killing your night vision.

Can confirm, firefly mode on flashlights is the tits for getting around in pitch dark. You can light up hazards, but it won't affect your night vision much. On the other hand, using a multi-thousand lumen flashlight can be pretty :clint: I have a 5000 lumen single emitter light, and using it in rural areas with no light pollution is amazing. I'm pretty sure it's better than the headlights on my car.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

kastein posted:

My 5000 lumen headlamp is chinesium so 5000 is up for debate, but it does a great job of getting retards with their highbeams on and tailgaters to bugger off while commuting.

It occasionally makes an alright headlamp, too!

The Chinese lights in general probably won't live up to their specs. An honest-to-god 5k lamp is not cheap, mine was $180. (Acebeam K60)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I've given in to my poor judgement and bought more snap-on tools....electric ratchet and electric 1/4 impact.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

spog posted:

Will one like this be able to do heat shrink (I'm not familiar with HS - I've always been a tape guy)

Crimping has a bad image in my mind due to too much PO fuckery. But I am willing to be convinced. Any brands/type of ratcheting crimpers recommended?

Second this. I'm searching for a setup to crimp electrical connector pins (MQS, MCP) in an automotive application. Needs to crimp pins and seals. So far my choices are princess auto set (barely OK but cheap) and dealership/factory tool kit, which is literally thousands of dollars.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Mercedes uses solder connectors as an acceptable repair method, so if it's ok with them it's probably not that bad?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

I'm a Snap-on industrial dealer and my snap on corporate rep told me to warranty whatever the heck I want, even (or especially) if it's a competitors tool.

I can also strongly recommend Bahco and Williams.

Just out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there in price between truck and industrial tools?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
12 pointed nuts/bolts?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
It used to be worth it, but now they just want to sell you the 600$ wireless dongle if you want unlimited vins.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Electric ratchets are fantastic, way faster, way less wear on your joints. I own this thing https://store.snapon.com/CTR767-Ser...y--P928792.aspx and it’s awesome. Wouldn’t buy it if you weren’t using it every day though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
From what I’ve read, the buildup on direct injection engines is too thick and tarry for a simple cleaning via aerosol solvents. You need to mechanically scrape that junk out, either by scraping or by blasting with walnut media.

What kind of vehicle?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I don’t like the look of that ryobi compared to the Milwaukee. Big battery pack on the end seems bad for balance and access to tight spaces.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I tried the Milwaukee M12 stubby impact on some wheel bolts, was not able to take them off (impact socket, wheels torqued to 150nm or so) despite a fully charged battery and a lot of trying. The gun is definitely nice and compact though. Just need an 18V Version with more power so I don’t have to use my huge one for wheel bolts.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
3/8 anvil impact wrench, didn’t budge the wheel bolts on even a Smart car. Lug nuts might go easier since they have a shorter overall length?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Rhyno posted:

Look I just want a battery that will power a lawn mower, impact gun, chainsaw, toothbrush etc. I dont know why you guys are withholding information.

You joke, but someone should rig up a battery mount that lets you series/parallel up a stack of power tool batteries for bigger stuff.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

cursedshitbox posted:

seconding the short life of Ryobi batteries... two 40V mower batteries dead in a year meanwhile the two 3 year old M18 Milwaukee batteries are still trucking along..
the ryobi 18v or whatever weed eater still works fine though.

First one had an intermittent internal open circuit(spotty spot weld), second one I haven't opened yet to see why, probably a bad cell. Regardless it's gonna get the electronics hacked and maybe converted into an autonomous mower cause gently caress buying another $150 battery for that pile of poo poo.

Wait, people are building robo mowers now? Tell me more!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Rhyno posted:

They're not really new, my father bought one 10+ years ago. It's just a Roomba for your lawn really.

Yeah, but like, home brew/kit/DIY pet mulchers, not off the shelf gear.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Anyone have any opinions on automotive-geared oscilloscopes? I’m a dealer tech and I’m starting to find uses for one. There is a 4000$ PicoScope kit from our dealer network, but that’s more of a shop tool (which my boss doesn’t want to buy)

Thanks!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Several co-workers had the previous IR heavy impact, and they definitely feel like a step up in quality from the Milwaukee. I’m curious about the “hand tight” and “wrench right” setting on this thing

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Don’t forget about double hex bits!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I need that torque wrench like, yesterday. Too bad it’s coming fall 2019.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Do it, that thing is a beast. When someone in the shop has an axle nut or whatever that won’t come off, this thing will do it. Outperforms any impact I’ve seen, short of the new 1” drive bridge builder impact Milwaukee has been showing off.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Are there any good car battery chargers that can maintain 30A steady or maintain 14Vwithout any fuckery and don’t cost 1500?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

StormDrain posted:

I can think of some gas powered ones that can do that.

Gas powered battery chargers are probably going to be frowned upon in a shop environment though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

cakesmith handyman posted:

You want a charger to output 14v @30A continuously?

It needs to maintain 14v on a car battery while control modules are being programmed, which means ignition on, lights on, for up to an hour and a half. During this time, battery voltage may not drop below 13v. I have a 25A charger, and that will get me ~12.5v or so.

There seems to be a large gap between consumer (5-25A) chargers and pro/shop level chargers. Consumer chargers also have a habit of not actually outputting the rates power, or deciding the battery is full and switching off.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

revmoo posted:

I got one on wheels that can probably do it, you in KY?

Sadly, I live north of the wall, in the desolate wastelands of the prairies. A straight up single-voltage powersupply probably won’t be safe, as A) it will probably boil a battery on me if I’m not careful, and B) it will sometimes be attached to a lithium battery instead of a lead/acid or AGM, so it can’t ever, ever ever exceed 14.2 for some reason (thanks, Mercedes)

as someone above said, if I have a car with KOEO, a full 25A charge rate is free not enough to supply all the modules AND bring the battery back from a low state of charge at the same time. A piggyback battery would do the trick, but I’m somewhat space limited and ideally this charger will be mounted to a tool cart for mobility. There are chargers available to me that do what I need, but they are Gucci tool brands (Snap-On) or corporate sales only (Midtronics, not cheaper than Snap-On)

I’ll investigate marine chargers, as that seems like the closest “cheap” option so far. It’s amazing that there is this huge gap between consumer 5-20A chargers and “pro” 30+ chargers.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
https://youtu.be/V1koMdJdg60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

EnergizerFellow posted:

Associated Equipment is the company you're looking for. They make portable chargers up to 100A continuous in various definitions of portable.

If you need a shelf-sized bench charger with explicit AGM and continuous-duty 13V @ 40A support, there's the Associated Equipment 9640 for ~$550 street. On the "dumb" end of the scale there's the ~$450 Associated Equipment 6010B with 6/12/24V @ 60/60/30A and a high/low 12V voltage selector.

Yeah, that looks pretty good, thanks!