Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Where can I find a good lugnut wrench, other than the 4 way ones, to keep in my car? Or is it easier just to have a breaker bar and socket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I was hoping to find one of these, which is basically what was in there before. The breaker bar is starting to seem more versatile though.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Raluek posted:

I have two of those that I got from the junkyard. Just carry it out with your tools, you came in with that, right?

I guess I should have mentioned that mine looks like this:

Every time I search for one on amazon or wherever I only see the 4-way ones, so I don't know if I'm not searching for the right thing.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm looking to get a bit driver like this Chapman one, though I'd like to spend less money and get some torx bits. Any suggestions?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Any of you have suggestions for JIS screw drivers? I've seen a few on Amazon but nothing by brands I recognize. My bike has a bunch of JIS screws I'd rather not destroy when I go to change my brake fluid.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got two boxes full of mostly Craftsman hand tools that were my grandpa's. Everything seems to have a V stamped on them, and I'm thinking the majority of stuff is from the late-70s or early 80s. That means that these should be "good" Craftsman stuff, right?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Cool, I was pretty sure it was a good set since my grandpa rarely bought cheap stuff. It's all in really good condition, so I doubt it'll need to be replaced or repaired any time soon. Greased maybe, but the ratchets all felt pretty smooth to me. Now I just need to figure out how to store it all since my closet doesn't have room for a nice rolling cabinet

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Would you guys still recommend Carolinas if I can't spend over $100 on boots?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Krakkles posted:

What multi-tools are good? I've heard good things about the Leatherman crunch, but it's pricey, figured I'd ask before spending a bunch.

How many tools do you really need it to have? I got the Skeletool a few years ago, and it's covered me for all the basic stuff when I didn't have proper tools around. My favorite thing is that you can open the blade without unfolding everything else.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What do you guys use for oil drain pans that seal? I had this turd from Walmart, but the threads failed after a few uses. I want something that I can seal like that to go dump my old oil.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't need a huge jug since I'm in an apartment and I'm not supposed to be doing oil changes in the driveway. I dump it every time to hide the evidence :tinfoil:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are any of the cheap (sub $30) safety wire pliers cheaper than the others?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I assume you mean "better" and not "cheaper", but IME, they're all the same. Not very good, but with some tweaking, they work. Nothing like a proper pair, but those aren't <$30.

Yes, I did mean better. I figured they must be close since everything looks exactly like the $12 HF ones. I don't safety wire anywhere near enough stuff to warrant buying a proper pair.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any good small compressors that don't come with a tank? I already have a ~5 gallon tank, but I'm tired of mooching off friends' compressors or trying to use the gas station's.

This Black & Decker seemed neat since it can run off 12v and AC.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

In case anyone needs some more garage inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lCrlVhwHnE

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Anyone have a suggestion for an Android app that tracks gas mileage? I used to use Fuelly, but that's pretty much been abandoned. Their replacement also looks abandoned. Fuel.io doesn't do tenths of a mile.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

aCar got bought by Fuelly years ago and they're finally integrating the two.

How soon? The aCar app in the play store hasn't been updated since 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Something like this with a shortened t15 bit in it, maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XYOUS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8FqtBbXEZVMC1

That thing has gotten me out of several ridiculous situations doing exactly that.

Even if this doesn't solve Bajaha's problems, it's an extremely handy tool to have lying around.

I'm sure someone in this thread would be interested in the more expensive version from Chapman: https://smile.amazon.com/Chapman-MFG-Standard-Ratchet-Screwdriver/dp/B00682RIAY/

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I’ve been keeping an eye on this one to snag for my wife’s car, and hoping it drops to something like 56 - but worth knowing, it’s $76 on amazon right now, so as much as I love KC Tool, I’d go there first.

If you're mainly looking for the little ratchet, Chapman Manufacturing makes a bunch of sets that seem to run around $50 or less. They have an amazon storefront too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What do you guys like for garage door openers? I'm (hopefully) buying a place with a one car garage, and the builder is offering to install something. I'd like something that I can at least see if it's open or shut from my phone. Anything besides old school chain drives to avoid?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Everything in your house when it is built is the second cheapest version of that thing.

Edit: everything in a rental is the cheapest version of that thing.

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to get exactly what they're offering so I know if how bad I'm getting ripped off.

Thanks for the rec on Chamberlain, everyone. That seemed like a good choice from my initial search, so I'm happy to see it repeated.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a key word to look for with Bluetooth OBDII dongles? I thought I remembered a specific chipset or something the last time I bought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Anyone have suggestions for tire storage covers? I have a $25 set from Amazon that's lasted me about 5 years of switching between my winter and summer wheels, but they started ripping almost immediately.