Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mr_bunnyfish posted:

Also are there any other tools I should get in addition to this? I mostly wanted a set to get me in and around the few cars that I work on (83 CJ-7, 01 Crown Vic, and a 92 F-150).

I know on the manual YJ, you need a bigass socket to open the filler for the transmission. I don't remember off the top of my head what size, but it might be a good exercise to look at your CJ's transmission and see if you need that socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

With this set I was able to remove the wheel locks in seconds--it's crazy how little protection wheel locks offer.

Remember: all locks only make your poo poo harder to steal than the next guy's.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, only $200? That's a steal. I have a corded impact but a portable one is pretty tempting. What have you tackled job-wise with it?

You could probably pick up a cheap Jennings saturday night special for less than that if you don't mind all holes being exactly .25".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Another trick is to put the fluid in sandwich bags, chill them in the freezer, then stack them in the differential as quickly as you can and put the cover back on. When you start driving the car again the bags get torn to shreds and powdered by the ring and pinion. I am not sure I would use this trick on a limited slip diff or a torsen and it clearly won't work on a transmission/transaxle, but it works great otherwise.

:catstare: Is this a thing people actually do?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just can't imagine a diff on anything stock-or-lifted where you can't get a bottle of gear lube with a hose stuck on the end at the right angle to fill it up, but you can pop a cover off and throw in some ziplocs full of oil.

My old YJ begs to differ.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Personally, I'm terrible at crimp-on butt splices. These are my favorite:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/765/=kh3wau (No-crimp twist-on for stranded wire). I exclusively use the water-tight version on my motorcycles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

General_Failure posted:

One that lives in a country where random searches are allowed and carrying a knife is an offence?

For god's sake man, apply for refugee status immediately!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Am I likely to be able to find a set of metric impact hex keys at Home Depot / Lowes, or am I going to have to travel farther?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pursuant to my last question, would this set plus a cheap (Ryobi?) 12v cordless impact wrench spell disaster, or probably not?
http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools...ic+impact+allen

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Yeah, no problem once I spoke to an adult. Wiper motor is knackered though, gently caress French bastards crimping every bastard thing together means I need a while new assembly.

You know what they say about Crimpin'

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

I hope you're tapping aluminum... even then you should probably splurge and buy a good brand tap for $5 somewhere. The difference is night and day, I used a friend's HF taps once and realized why he hates tapping stuff so much.

I'll use the HF tap set to chase pre-existing threads, but I wouldn't trust it to tap new threads very much.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

Unrelated: have some pictures of the tool box on the ISS. I'm on my phone or I'd embed the images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timpeake/sets/72157634315750824/

I absolutely cannot wait to see Adam Savage build a replica ISS toolchest.
(I don't know whether he will or not, but having watched his podcast and video series, it's right up his alley).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

The harbor freight clicker wrenches were tested as accurate in several magazine articles. The main thing with any clicker torque wrench is to remove all tension/set it back to zero when not in use. Otherwise the constant pressure on the spring will make it read lower over time.

Wrong.

Raluek posted:

Springs do not work like that! They wear from compress-decompress cycles, not from being stored compressed. It's like that wive's tale about unloading magazines when not in use.

Right? :shobon:

Right.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Can you guys point me to easily-digested reference material for this? Because one of the guys at work is an aggro vocal dick about unloading torque wrenches and also not much of a reader. :rolleyes:

Try this:
http://www.spaceflight.esa.int/impress/text/education/Mechanical%20Properties/Creep.html

and, hit next for Fatigue.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1304_torque_wrench_testing/

It may be wrong, but on the other hand it costs nothing to turn down the tension when not in use.

Technically, turning the tension down wears the spring out marginally faster than not turning it down.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fight for my affection!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Archives posted:

Ok I can't believe this. Please show me how I can make a cnc foam cutter for under 500 bucks.

Here's a CNC mill for under $600.
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/desktop-cnc-mill-kits-shapeoko

You could probably knock a hundred off the top if you built it yourself.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

Some loving rear end in a top hat in IRC just showed this to me
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4700

now I am trying to decide what I have to sell so I can buy one and ruin everything I own made of metal loving around with it.

edit: JFC! http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4100

Is that first one like a tiny Bridgeport? I wonder if I can get people to chip in to buy one for my hackerspace!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Goo Gone has always worked well for me at getting stickers off of things. Usually I use a razor blade in addition to get a good scrape but it's easy to gently caress up your paint.

If you're obsessive, you can buy a plastic razor blade shaped insert for about $1.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Paging kastein, in case Kick-Puncher needs to be able to rebuild a Dina 60 in the middle of the Mojave.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Surely SnapOn grease guns can't be that bad. At $40, they're reasonably priced relative to some of their other tools.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I really need to get a sponge to use with my soldering iron, rather than just letting oxidization build up on it forever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My favorite butt splices are these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#butt-splices/=r27jx1 aka http://www.posi-lock.com/
The twist-on ones. I can successfully crimp maybe 7 out of 10 times, but the twist on butt splices are so easy it's not even funny. The weatherproof ones are spendy, but I use them on the motorcycle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Power drill with wire wheel chucked in it, clamped in a vise.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

ssssssstandards

With the limited number of units your company is working with, couldn't they just throw it all out the window and expose a REST endpoint or something?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tomarse posted:

I think I'd be happier making one than paying $143 for that. It doesn't look to be that solid. I like a workbench I can beat the poo poo out of stuff on - i'd be worried about smashing that one.

I built 2 benches for my garage. frames are 2x4 timber (which is about £10 per 16 foot length here). Top is second hand kitchen worktop. Shelves made from an old ikea wardrobe, and im going to add the drawers from the same ;) Its only an afternoon's work to build one if you have a wood cut-off saw (or use this as a good excuse to buy one)

I own one. It's solid and heavy as gently caress. The vise is poo poo, but it's got drawers and keeps my crap off the floor, so who cares? If the price is right, pull the trigger. I put casters on the bottom of mine, so I can roll it around if I need to.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

melon cat posted:

This is such an amazing idea. But it does suck to see something like this if you lack welding equipment/welding know-how. :(

Nothing about a hundred bucks and some scrap steel can't fix.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I had to refuse to take this lathe for free today. We would have been able to maybe just get it out of the building it was in, but getting it into its new home would have been an absolute bear.

e. Oh yes. :smith:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It weighs ~1000 lbs and requires three phase power. If you're in the Chicago area, I'll put you in touch with the guy.

e. As long as I can come by and use it, that is.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

My brother is a member at an area hackerspace that may be interested. I will bug him.

Your brother knows me. Let him know that Chris over at SSH:C will be happy to put PS1 in touch with the guys with the lathe if they're interested.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm moving into a 700 ft^2 apartment with a wife and two cats. I need to trade my 60" workbench in for something a little smaller. How's this for $99?
http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb...utm_source=1497

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

How do I figure out what the right gauge wire is?

I'm imagining I'll get some matching size wire for the leads to the light (it should have a +/- wire on it, so I'll be attaching to those), but I can use smaller wire between the switch and the relay, right? How about between the relay and power source (bigger, I'd think)?

If I'm over-engineering things, this is what I go by:

Let's assume you have a 120 watt light bar, that's going to draw 10A. You're probably not going to run more than about 20 feet of wire, so use at least 10ga wire from battery to relay to light bar and back again. For the switch, you could probably use spider silk; use whatever you have handy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Makes good sense, thanks both of you.

In this case (battery - relay - light) is the relay the load, or the light?

Or, basically, do I need to fuse before AND after the relay, or just one side?
I understand the sentiment, but money isn't really an issue, and I've bought a lot of $30 tools that I then replaced with a Snap On. I've gotten to the point where I just buy the good stuff to begin with :)

Fuse between the battery and the relay. The relay itself isn't the load, but the relay-light system is.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Well I appreciate the one and only input!

Spend a different amount and report your findings. With two data points, we can determine a trend.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hey, so, emailed Harbor Freight coupons. Do I actually have to print them out, or can I take a picture of the one I want to use with my phone and show the person that?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The guy at Harbor Freight said that "Just This Once" (tm) he would accept a picture of a coupon on my phone. He said that normally, I should just pull up the email on my phone and he would take that. I don't know why I decided to take a photo of my email aside from the fact that I'm not the brightest bulb sometimes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Four drawer tool cart from Harbor Freight. Not bad for $99.

The top section is just slightly too small to hold my socket set in its case. I don't want to commit to taking it out of its case yet.

Excuse the cat toys and cardboard detritus -- I haven't cleaned up after assembling it yet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Yes, I know, it's flammable. I've always wanted to see a washing machine explode.

That would solve your rotten house problems once and for all.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

So you want a 6" socket extension with a handle on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

On the topic of torches, what's a good intro option for a light-use propane/acetylene torch? I'd like to start using the Kentucky red wrench to loosen up rusted fasteners, but I don't know much, especially about buying the right tanks or where to go about filling them.

Just buy whatever's cheapest at Home Depot.