Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm thinking about taking a flap disk to my cast iron skillet. I noticed that some of them are specified for steel, stainless, aluminum, and/or non-ferrous metals. Which does cast iron count as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Lodge skillets are textured, but older skillets are typically very smooth. I was thinking about de-seasoning mine with oven cleaner, flap-disking it to polish the surface, and then re-seasoning it.

And, hell, it's a Lodge. If I gently caress it up, I paid twelve bucks for it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It suffers from the same problem as the rest of open source software, namely, a core group of idiot savants hack on a piece of software until it becomes just barely usable to them. They are now the experts in that software, so "usability" means that it doesn't actively harm the user.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Remember to turn it down to zero to release the load on the mechanism to keep it as accurate as possible.

No. That's not how metal works. In fact, turning it down to zero is slightly detrimental to the longevity of a torque wrench.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

How so? I'd expect that the forces and temperature not enough to make a difference, but I don't understand how being at zero would be detrimental. I thought the spring would lose it's strength due to creep, and since it's not very long that could cause some real changes in the torque reported. From 0-250 is less than an inch of compression. It's been nearly 10 years since I was in my materials science course, but I still understand the stress/strain diagram.

There's creep, which shows up when you keep the torque wrench at one torque forever. It show up most at temperatures way higher than you'll see in your garage.

Then there's fatigue, which shows up when you keep moving the spring over and over again. The effect of fatigue is much greater than the effect of creep.

Cat Hatter posted:

This gets said a lot, and makes sense, but I read an article in FourWheeler that had empirical data showing a torque wrench losing accuracy over time when stored at 70 ft lbs (I just wish they would have had a control stored at a lower setting to be more conclusive).

The article: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/129-1307-torquing-testing-torque-wrenches/ (confirms that HF wrench is plenty accurate)

The important part:

...I agree not to put it at zero though; put it near, but not at, the lowest setting its designed for.

Finally, there's ridiculous n=3 studies that don't demonstrate anything in a statistically meaningful manner.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Harbor Freight 1/2" torque wrench will.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

So you can sneak it on an airplane.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

iForge posted:

Bigass drill bit for the bigass drill press

Dear lord, what speed do you run that at? 2 rpm?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What's your favorite oil filter removal tool that's quickly available on Amazon? Whoever installed it on my jeep last made it his mission in life to make sure that oil filter never got removed.

The old jab a screwdriver through the filter trick didn't work either.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I hauled off and bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-1...l+filter+wrench

which Amazon believes will be shipped to me tomorrow. I do have a harbor freight near me, but only have one car that currently has no oil and a punctured oil filter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Since the guy asking about filter tools mentioned a jeep, make sure you don't bash into the oil pressure sender with whatever tool you end up using, because they are tantalizingly close to the filter on some jeeps and break when touched with a filter wrench about like a pinto explodes when rearended by, oh, anything.

Then you wonder why your oil pressure gauge doesn't work anymore and at some random point, what's left of the sender finishes breaking in half and unceremoniously paints the passenger side of your engine compartment in rust protectant while simultaneously lunching the entire bottom end because you no longer have an oil pressure gauge that works and don't realize you have zero oil pressure till some gets on the exhaust or it makes A Bad Noise.

My oil pressure slowly creeps up to 80 and doesn't respond to RPMs, so I need to get around to fixing the oil pressure sender anyway.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Root Bear posted:

I don't have a picture yet, but I also got a a pair of cargo work pants made out of fire hose canvas. The company dares you to wear them out, and I intend to do my damnedest.

The way the crotch is stitched, the stitching in the crotch likes to come undone. I've had two pairs do that to me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I would go for a horizontal bandsaw if you want a nice finish, chopsaw if you don't give a gently caress.

The hackerspace I'm part of has one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html as our backup horizontal bandsaw if the nice one is out of comission for whatever reason. It works pretty well.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

What thickness stock are you cutting? If it's over 1/4", even the Ridgid chopsaw I have (http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-14-in-Abrasive-Cut-Off-Machine-R4142/202201510) really labors to cut at a reasonable rate. Not sure I'd trust that one to do anything but piss me off.

I cut off a chunk of 3" aluminum stock with the HF band saw. I started with the nice big band saw, had to switch to a chop saw when the blade popped off of that, then switched to the HF band saw because the chop saw sounded like death and was taking its sweet time. The HF band saw kinda sucks and feels like it's made of paper mache, but it works.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

In all likelihood, I was Doing It Wrong.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm thinking about getting a bigger electric impact wrench. Currently, I have a Ryobi 1+ 18v that I can pop 3/8" sockets on. According to Amazon, it makes "up to 1,200 in-lb of torque".

I also have a Ryobi power drill that uses the same batteries, and I'm reasonably happy with it.

I could stick with the Ryobi 1+ system and drop a hundred bucks on a 1/2" impact wrench that makes 200 lb-ft of torque. Is there anything better I could find at a reasonable price point, that would justify jumping to a different battery ecosystem?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

revmoo posted:

You're talking about the little bitty impact driver. It's not really an impact wrench though you can use it as such for smaller bolts. I have both that one and the larger 200 ft-lb version you're considering. I get a lot of use out of it and it works pretty well. One thing I like about it is that it seems to hit a good torque range for installing lug nuts so I will often just let it hammer my lugs on and don't even bother with a torque wrench.

The bad is that it will only remove lug nuts about 60% of the time, and even the big lithium battery can't hold enough charge to totally remove and reinstall all four wheels on a car. I find myself switching to the air impact somewhat often. It wouldn't have a chance in hell in removing an axle nut or crank pulley. It will get everything else though, and it's nice having something cordless, especially for junkyard trips.

If I was to do it all over again I think I would probably opt for the Milwaukee tool system instead. I have a couple of the Ryobi lithium batteries and they're just utter garbage after one year. Everything works but it's definitely not pro-grade stuff. You won't hate life sticking with the Ryobi but if you're doing much wrenching you'll wish you had tools with better performance.

I wish air was in the cards anytime soon, but I'm going to be living in a condo with a shared parking structure for the next few years at least.

A factory reconditioned Milwaukee 2663-80 claims to hit 450 lb-ft. I'll see if there's any money left in the budget once I get my bonus / tax refund for that + batteries + charger + impact sockets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jeez louise. At that price, you could afford to build something really similar.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You might wanna maybe nsfw that link.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My friend just IMmed me -- he's an engineer for Snap-On now, and can get tools for half price.

It's fuckin' impact wrench time. :cocaine:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mooseykins posted:

Ingersoll-Rand impact guns are (genuinely) better than Snap-on ones. While Snap-on ones have slightly more power, they're heavy and loud, suck to use and have a poo poo direction change switch. Also, i've known quite a few people who've had to send them in for rebuild after a little over a year when they lose a lot of power.

My IR 2135QTi, on the other hand, still going strong as ever after 8 years. IR have just released a new 1/2" impact too.

Oh dag, I was talking about the cordless electric impact. I wish I had shop air... or even a shop.

SouthsideSaint posted:

Hey there fellow chicagoon. any chance you could ask your friend about the stud removal tool that's recommended in so many threads. I couldn't get snap ons site to work so here's an ebay link with the part number
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171704894542?lpid=82&chn=ps

When I finally get around to calling in a favor from him and getting an impact, I'll ask about this too.

e. Also, the listing expired.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Spotted on a downtown Chicago bridge:

I tugged on it a few times. It's on there pretty good.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Something your program may want to consider is that things like bits and blades are effectively consumable. Might be wise to budget to replace drill bit sets every couple of months.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

So far, I've used a lathe to turn down a press-fit insert for the time when I messed up and milled something backwards. I'm also using it to make an adapter that will let me drive the table on the mill up and down with a power drill rather than a huge crank.

I personally think milling machines are more useful and less dangerous than lathes, but there's still a lot you can do with them. I suppose you could use the lathe to turn bushings, if that's your gig.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I just broke the cardinal rule of toolbuying and got an 8 gallon Harbor Freight air compressor. This one: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-gal-2-hp-125-psi-oil-lube-air-compressor-69667.html

It's for my hackerspace, and we wanted to stay around a hundred bucks.

We put oil in it and ran it through the break in (run for 30 minutes with the valves open). Now it looks like the drain valve at the bottom is broken. It won't close. It screws and unscrews, but air just comes out.

I have a warranty on the compressor, but it's a minimum of 1.5 hours driving to and from the nearest Harbor Freight. Is there a cheap drain valve I can order on Amazon that I can pop in there?

e. Looks like yes. Will this work? http://www.amazon.com/PowerMate-Vx-072-0001RP-Drain-Valve/dp/B008JVM5JG/ref=pd_sim_469_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=07HGGDMMQ2WA4XACYYQE

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 6, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

The first thing I do when I get a new compressor is take off the drain cock and throw it away. They are hard to reach and get stuck all the time. I put a brass elbow in place of it with a brass nipple as long as it takes to get to the outside of the tank, then a ball valve. This makes it so easy to drain that you can do it every time you're done using it.

You probably won't want to in a smaller portable one like that, but I made a little pvc manifold that goes through the wall that mine is hooked into so it just shoots outside.

This is a good idea, but I'd rather not have a little brass lever sticking out of the bottom of the portable compressor, just begging to get caught on something and crack the tank.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Definite derail but linked from the Williams sockets:

USMC themed sockets! What better way to say "Semper Fi" than by turning a wrench? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GPVJQ94?psc=1

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

All of the mobile electronics installers I have been around greatly prefer butane soldering irons over electric. The portability and instant heat are really nice attributes. Power Probe makes some good ones.

I wouldn't build an amplifier with one, but it works great for stereo and remote start wiring.

They should really be using crimps over solders for vehicle wiring harnesses.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

There must be no slack!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Twice as bad as water so......yes?

So you're saying I should fill my brake lines with mercury, and just deal with the fact that it's a solid on the coldest days of winter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tomarse posted:

Good crimping tools are really loving expensive.

And then there's the Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper, which is so heavy I basically maneuver it into position and build the splice around it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Actually, that reminds me of something I've been wondering -- how should you use ratcheting crimpers? I was using a pair once, and I discovered that I had to fiddle with the mechanism to get them open again. Is this right, or was I doing something wrong?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm willing to bet I was using too small a crimper in that case. I was putting my whole weight into it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is possibly one of the dumbest questions I could ask, but I was hoping someone here could help me. I'm looking for a 3/8 ratcheting screwdriver, something I could schlep a socket on and quickly run nuts in with, to then torque down with a regular or flex ratchet.

However, my searches are pretty fruitless... I've found a wonky looking craftsman mech ratchet, then started seeing references to yankee screwdrivers... I didn't think what I'm looking for should be all that exotic? Is there some other term I should be searching?

A swivel head ratchet is what you want. E.g. http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-1491-Quick-Release-Ratchet-72-Tooth/dp/B00A50NB1K

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The 3/8" equivalent is $68, which is still less than half of the Snap On price. http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Zyklop-Ratchet-Square-Socket/dp/B003KN3GKK/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1443207959&sr=1-5&keywords=zyklops+3%2F8

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you don't abuse them and check their calibration every year or so, the Harbor Freight torque wrenches are a great value for the money.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Google Butt posted:

How about that $80 harbor freight chop saw? I'd have HD cut them down, but I'd like to have the ability to make my own cuts just in case.

It's a good option, but you could get equally good or better for cheaper on your local Craigslist probably.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

scuz posted:

This weekend is the weekend of Torque Wrench. The engine needs to get worked on and I can't do that without a way of not loving up the reassembly. Few questions for those in the knows:
  • Are those fancy battery-powered impact drivers able to torque to a certain point and then stop?
  • Click-style is the Best Style for non-impact driver, yes?
  • Should I save my clams for an air compressor and get impact drivers for that instead?
After seeing all the MCM vids, the battery-powered impact drivers look really tempting.

- No
- Click style torque wrenches are good. I *think* there are some procedures that require a beam style torque wrench, but I don't know what those are
- A middlin' compressor and a middlin' air impact will run you about $250-300. A halfway decent battery powered impact will start around $300.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I (by which I mean the hackerspace I run) just got a Shoptask 17-20 XTMC for free, from an older guy moving to Thailand.

It's mostly complete, major exceptions being:

- The intermediate pulley between the mill motor and the drawbar went missing somewhere on IL route 20 in Elgin, IL.
- The fan for the mill motor rubs a little bit on the enclosure for the lathe pulleys
- The spring pin that holds the X axis handle in pace is missing
- Needs a 3 jaw chuck
- The belts are a little crusty, and could stand to be replaced
- Missing pieces for the quill autofeed (not that I really care)
- Missing a bolt for the tailstock gib (The two that are there seem to be working fine, though)

In addition to that, I'd really like to get a VFD and some digital scales on it for speed control and DRO.

Does anyone know of a manual / parts list / source of obsessive documentation about one of these machines? I've done some googling around, and haven't found anything authoritative.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I wonder how well it would stand up to having a MIG welder toolhead.