Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I feel like the M12 is clearly the best 12v system just from the range of tools. A 12v fuel drill or driver has a lot more kick than a Ryobi and they're tiny in comparison.

I had a bad thing happen where I was given a M18 bandsaw without a battery, just need to add something teal and I'll have every major brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

kastein posted:

Also, I replace every valve I touch with a quarter turn stainless and brass ball valve, no exceptions.

This is the only way to do it right. When I replaced my pressure tank I replaced all the valves in the basement with ball valves and added several new ones. When the water heater or softener is doing it's best old faithful impression you want to shut that bastard off now!

I've never seen a gate valve that works after a few years of hard water rubbing through it.

E: I know to replace my well pump I'm going to need a well rig or crane, I should start looking for someone competent for when it goes.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 4, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I used to have access to the tools but the guy died a few years back and auctioned it all off. I'd rather pay someone to do it so it's on them if they screw something up anyway. Not like paying a professional to do anything means it will be done right or they will fix their work anyway.

It's 30 years old so I should probably get something lined up for when it goes. The well itself doesn't show up in any records so who knows how old it is, when was 4" the standard size?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
That might have been me, searched starting from oldest and I couldn't find it. I remember that 6" is the standard size for residential now and the newest 4" I found was from the 60s or something.

I'm thinking that was back when the frost heaved up the conduit and cut the wires against the well cap, and didn't trip the breaker.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Invalido posted:

Yeah the ability to make a precise plunge cut is fantastic but they have all sorts of uses. I bought one too recently, should have done so much sooner. Except I messed up and got a Bosch which uses a proprietary interface so I can't use cheap generic blades sold everywhere.

I have a Dremel one and only the Dremel brand parts work on it. The part in the center is just small enough other brands will fall off.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Who doesn't enjoy fishing for a drain plug after you realized you had the engine too drat hot?
Magnets

Unless its brass or something like that.

Motronic posted:

The biggest problem with it is that it's an open pan of dirty oil so all tools are immediately attracted to it. It's like dirty oil gives it it's own gravity or something.
I pulled the same socket out of the tub full of coolant under the motor 5 times recently, it's like it didn't even matter where I set it down.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Hadlock posted:

I've always wondered if you could just make your own with a used 42" sheet metal brake and then buy the drawer slides and drawer pulls. Really time consuming but sheet metal is basically free, sheet metal boxes are dead simple to construct and you can resell the brake for close to what you paid for it. Those massive snap-on tool boxes seem like a really efficient way to go multiple $10,000s in debt pretty much instantly. Drug dealer seems like an apt comparison

Superfastmatt has a really good round up of the current marketplace of tool boxes

(X) Stainless Sheet Metal
(X) Tools
(X) Welder
(X) Drawer Slides
( - ) Time

Always missing one of those requirements, the overstuffed upper chest has been putting in a lot of work. There is a big pile of tools where the drawers would go in the lower frame.

For a multimeter look around for a used Fluke, two of mine somehow fell in the pile to get calibrated at work and were still perfectly accurate.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I used those nuts that bite into the wood and the cordless ratchet, comes off in seconds and I have something to stub my toe on later.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
M12 ratchet is really great, still as slim as the air powered one and its so nice to not have to deal with the air hose. Its probably 95% as strong as the air powered one that just lives in the drawer now.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I wasn't thinking air, but hydraulic should. A couple of the drills I run have jack legs which do exactly that.

Also a hydraulic jack I made does that, but both cylinders are attached to the same pieces of metal.

Perhaps if they are not physically connected by anything but hoses they won't.

A proportioning valve? I think its called that. Splits one hydraulic supply into two equal flows so two cylinders extend the same amount even if loaded differently.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I looked at the CAT phones and they seemed way overpriced for obsolete hardware, I'd be more worried about the coatings on an IR lens getting damaged from being in a pocket.

I remember being in the parking lot on break and a guy borrowed a laser thermometer to figure out what cylinder was misfiring, brought out the camera and in less than a second you could tell what pipe on the manifold was colder than the rest.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Any deals on a M18 tool combo coming up? I need a battery and charger but don't need a 4th drill/driver combo but a big impact would be extremely useful.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Thanks, looks like I'll be getting a D20V to M18 adapter and a rebuild kit for my pneumatic impact for now. Bookmarking that page for later though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I thought the first was the ratchet and the second recall was the welds.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I still have the first gen recalled but stopped using them for cars way before the recall. They are welding stands, keeping hitches off the ground, wire spool holders. I only trust the pin style with the safety clip in to hold something that would splat me.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Everyone uses m18 in the field, if you're cutting tons of threaded rod you're probably using a purpose built tool for it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I stand corrected, the crew lead pulled out a m12 portaband today because he left the m18 in the control house. Too small to cut 2" conduit but it is light.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

opengl posted:

It's time to re-up on zip ties. The last few batches I got from amazon alphabet soup brands have been cheap junk.

What do y'all like? I could use a good assortment.

T&B, Burndy, Panduit seem to make the best. The UV resistant store brand home depot ties I can rip apart in my hands. I prefer the ones with the stainless steel tang if I can use them in the application.

kastein posted:

I barely ever use my Ryobi 18v cordless angle grinder but when I do use it it's because nothing else will do the job without stringing hundreds of feet of extension cords or dragging a generator with me.

Coiling up 3 or 4 100' 12-3 extension cords is good exercise.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I absolutely loathe batteries myself and most of my tools are corded. I don't own a cordless angle grinder and I won't be owning one until there's been a massive advance in the field.

Look at this guy, dragging extension cords around while stealing catalytic converters.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
So even spending some more on one of the nicer ones like the k-tool with the 37 and 45 degree dies isn't worth it?

I need one and would use it but I don't think I'd use it enough to justify one of the good ones.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

StormDrain posted:

I'd have to say three. Trolley jack, bottle jack, and a farm jack.

And if you find yourself in the position to need a transmission jack, then get that.

Buy a beefier trans jack than you think you need, the light ones from harbor freight are marginal on a go kart transmission.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I have a Coxreel spring drive air hose reel, my only regret is not putting on flexzilla hose when I first got it or buying anything but the flexzilla air hose. In the cold the rubber air hoses are stiff as a board. For a garden hose reel the only thing I know is the plastic ones don't last but you seem to know that.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Cool, I did about half of that a few years ago. I'll mount the solar panels and inverter one day but the important part is it works, charges tool batteries, and can pull a few thousand pounds of firewood or my welder cart. Its absolute poo poo in snow however and I need to find tiny tire chains for it.

I wont take pictures of mine because the body looks so drat ugly, the plan was to paint it when I do the sheetmetal on the tractor so I think its getting Massey Ferguson red and grey.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Last time I stick welded was about a week before I got my mig welder, my stick welds would probably look terrible by now too.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
John Menard is an exceptionally large pile of poo poo. I still shop there when I need to however, the outdoor lumber yard is so much more convenient than the blue and orange retailers.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Cat Hatter posted:

I've heard good things and Menards' lumber, although it sounds like a pain if you only need 1 board.

?
You order online, drive in the lumber yard, dig through the pile until you find one straight enough, then drive out. You only need to show the email on your phone on the way in and out.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The treated lumber is kept outside at the ones near me so it takes two people to load 3/4 plywood when its really wet, everything else is in open ended pole barns.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
M12 fuel tools will probably work great for you. As mentioned the 2ah batteries can't run them to their potential.

I used a regular M18 drill (not the fuel version) for the first time yesterday and it was nearly worthless, 1/2" holes in 1/4" steel plate and it kept stopping and got really hot. Didn't matter what size battery you used, it didn't have the power. The new mag drill they make is awesome, just annoying to unpack and setup for what felt like a small job.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Catatron Prime posted:

I mean, I'd say all my SAE sockets and wrenches are virtually obsolete. Same goes for my air compressor--my 18v inflator and high speed duster means I only grab it for the nailer, pending a battery unit one of these days. Honestly there's a ton of crap I'm probably never going to touch again, I really need to purge poo poo. Unfortunately the drat "what if" voice in the back of my head usually stops me short :smith:

I can buy SAE hardware by the pound locally. That and my old farm equipment is why I'll still be using it for years.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Regular thread tape and locktite thread dope. It never leaks if you do it right. I've always had issues with non swagelok compression fittings however. I used thread tape and blue dope on the pipe where the well comes in and had no leaks, whenever I used just tape it leaks about 1 in 3 times.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Has anyone here made a transmission tear down table or pan?

It looks like something I could make with some sheet metal and put on an existing workbench that I'd need to put at a slight incline. What am I missing? I already have some stainless sheet metal that should be big enough and I'd bend the edges or weld some angle iron then destroy some drill bits making a drain point. It looks like a better option than the $700 painted steel ones where I would expect paint shavings to contaminate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

CarForumPoster posted:

Should be big enough you can set things out in order of removal.
About that part, I could probably stitch two sheets together or build a second pan to hold parts. For the first time in my life I might just have enough bench space to make this work.

Does ATF eat oil based polyurethane finish?