Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I bought a HIKMicro off Amazon when it was on sale and it's been great so far. I haven't used it extensively but you get twice the resolution at half the price compared to the FLIR offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

slidebite posted:

One of their handheld units or do they have a USB adapter to phone job? I don't see one on their amazon store.

Handheld, not sure if that's a deal breaker or not. I wanted something with enough resolution to use with mechanical diagnostic work, I was also worried about long term phone port/firmware/app support with plug in units.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Powershift posted:

In Canada the deal is one 4ah battery and charger plus one tool, or one more battery. for 149

The deals here have somehow become even more garbage since the pandemic.

I need to make a trip down south and hit up Harbor Freight/HD/Menards :gbsmith:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
If you have a busted power tool it'd cost you $30 to make your own. I've thought about getting a cheap Ryobi drill to hack up.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’ve got an exterior garage large enough for two garage doors but it only has one, so parking two vehicles in it means I need to get creative, hence the question about dollies. I’ve looked at the plate-style caster dollies, but having to jack the car up to use them kind of makes it a no-go. With the self loading style I can move a car then drop it back onto its tires and use the dollies on something else if I need to

I have a set of generic Go Jacks and they make shuffling cars around super convenient for that reason, especially on vehicles that don't have good jacking points. I have to be careful moving my Mini around or else it gets too much momentum.

eddiewalker posted:

I have an MG on the cheaper harbor freight 1500lb dollies without builtin jacks. It’s a very small car but I still need a second person to move it very far in my smooth and flat garage

All of those cheap car dollies have garbage casters. They need to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed at a minimum. I had to get new wheels for one set because all the axle holes were drilled off center.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What’s the brand of your cheap go jacks?

Motomaster, I'm sure the HF ones come from the same white label manufacturer.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
If you do end up using it a lot it might be worth upgrading to a nicer one. My M12 Fuel oscillating tool works a lot better than my cheapy plug in one, mostly because it sends the majority of the vibrations into the blade and not up my forearm.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Big Taint posted:

Falling into the drain pan is how my tools stay lubricated, it’s just normal maintenance.

This, but unironically for ratcheting wrenches.

cursedshitbox posted:

It's even better when it's a differential.

That's when I break out the dish washing gloves, or calving gloves when it really gets fun.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Can't you use the Quick Jack by placing it perpendicularly?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

slidebite posted:

Well, yeah, but I mean if you *need* paperwork to prove calibration, like for work. Do you need to do it after X-months, year, etc? Typically something if you're ISO certified or have similar internal procedures.

We have to re-certify ours every year regardless if it came with a certificate. Now that I think of it, we might even need to certify a brand new one.

Don't even get me started on the "calibrated tape measure"

When I was working in aerospace manufacturing all of our measuring and torquing equipment were recertified quarterly, including the 6 inch rules.

It absolutely makes sense when the difference between assembling a half million dollar part to spec or destroying it is 10 in/lbs.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Raluek posted:

this is exactly the move.

the lil guy can do 200-250 ft-lb or so, so it handles most things. for the stuff that's really stuck, then the big nutfucker comes out.
both of those sockets are 3/4", by the way, lol

M12 stubby with Astro stubby sockets is a pro gamer move. The new mid torque is almost the same length as the M12 stubby, it's nuts.

Rectal Placenta posted:

Did they fix the mechanically flawed design revision?

The affected 2767 models were all recalled.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I don't think it's unusual to go high end and low end with power tools. We bought a Ryobi mower/trimmer/blower kit and it's been a nice complement with my Milwaukee stuff. Ryobi has some unique products and it's nice to have a cheap option for things you don't use often. I don't want to pay Milwaukee money for a heat gun or portable fan for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Every tool has its niche. The flexible metallic disc couplings that I work on have counterbored holes on the flanges. Because of the tight clearances the only tool that can access the bolts is a flexible socket head wrench.