Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
When I worded warehouse jobs, I got 6 years out of a pair of Chippewas with 2-3 sole replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I love my harbor freight rivnut tool. I’m sure the Astro is better, I might get if I ever break mine. It seems like mandrels are the expensive part.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

briefcasefullof posted:

I want a 7/32" Allen key to keep on my keyring. Are there any other options besides ones with the big loops on the end? Or am I going to have to make my own? I don't need a whole set, and I just want something compact to fit on my keyring.

https://www.mcmaster.com/allen-keys/
https://www.mcmaster.com/allen-keys/l-keys-9/
You'll need to find a couple other things to make it worth the shipping, should be no problem.
looking at that, now I want the 28" long, 2" key.

LightRailTycoon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 6, 2022

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

briefcasefullof posted:

Something must not be loading or I'm not seeing it because all I'm seeing are standard L-shaped keys.

I think I misread your question.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

PBCrunch posted:

Are there replacement chucks I can put in a drill press that allow keyed or keyless operation? I use the drill press for a lot of tasks where I'm really just using it for its repeatability/accuracy and not all that torque. It is kind of a pain in the rear end to use the keyed chuck when doing this kind of stuff. On the other hand, I do want to be able to crank down on the chuck with the key when I'm using a giant Forstner bit.

Drill presses only turn one way, so the keyless chucks designed for drill presses are designed to self-tighten from the torque on the bit.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I wish left handed bits were more common.

I have 2 massive dc brushless motors from a dead 80v snowblower, and making a crazy drill press is one of my ideas for one of them.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
All the mosfets on the driver board exploded, it was real exciting.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I was happily snowblow in along, and then got to hear 2 two 40v, 5 ah batteries dump through the control board. Each battery was fused, thankfully, by a large soldered on fuse.

The chassis had no attempt at waterproofing the control board, and relied solely on conformal coating.

I’m torn between using them to repower shop tools or to make a 2 motor lawn tractor.

Either way, the price of motor controllers in that size class holds me back.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I want a kindling wedge!
I’ve seen nail kickers for removing nails, and I’ve used a smoothing hammer to drive spikes for landscape Timbers.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
https://www.wihatools.com/products/hex-bit-sockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

kastein posted:

Given it's in New England, this sounds like you're going to also want a rotary hammer and a set of feathers and wedges so you can split large rocks in your way instead of making your trench look like a Boston road map or having to totally remove the rocks.

My New England yard is free of stones. Instead it’s 10 feet of impervious clay.