Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Going through some old things and ran across my dad's drafting stuff, probably from college or early 70s

Bunch of weird calculus specific slide rules and other stuff made in like, Denmark and Japan, but this one really stood out. It lives in a manilla envelope with like six different guys names on it crossed out, presumably this got passed around

1 River Rd in Schenectady is GE's long time research campus

This was probably used to develop/design the original mammograms which used a high energy photographic process that was later chemically developed in a traditional dark room

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it's just for torquing, maybe get a 3mm or 4mm socket with a piece of 1mm bar stock and glue it in one or more sides depending

Alternately, get someone to 3d print you a 4mm socket and line the inside edges with 1mm bar stock

What the hell are you building that requires accurate torque specs at 2mm and not just using loctite

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

New house came with a fairly substantial (2" thick oak) workbench in the garage but no vise

Looking on craigslist seems like 8" Wilton is popular

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=vise#search=1~grid~0~66

Last vise was a $60 5" harbor freight thing, which wasn't bad but modifying a go kart torque converter I was already reaching it's limits. I'm planning on partially rebuilding a full size cast iron engine this fall and that probably other things later

I'm not opposed to having more than one vise, seems like a 3-4" vise is useful for smaller projects like shaping 1/8" plate with a grinder

I tend to want to pull things apart by putting it over the vise and then open the vise. This worked fine on my dad's vise but I quickly blew out some retaining pin on my harbor freight vise trying to correct some warp after welding one day

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

More likely that '48 rolls royce chassis. I already have a boat

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I bought this one for my now wife shortly after we got engaged. My sister in law also bought the same model after seeing our success with it. AFAIK the transducer is solid state and should work pretty much forever

https://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-Professional-Ultrasonic-Eyeglasses-MGUC500/dp/B007Q2M17K/

We use it about 5-10 minutes a month to clean my wife's jewelry and our eyeglasses for several years now. It holds 600ml which is big enough for a really giant pair of sunglasses. You could probably extend the sides of the vessel upwards with some sheet metal and epoxy. The transducer is at the bottom so I don't think any extensions will impact the quality. There's probably an upper limit to the mass it can ultrasonic though, it's not gonna clean your SBC block. It would probably be ok for the carb on my anemic 1.9L old car, but 4 barrel Holley might be stretching it

They're currently $33 which is about $7 less than I paid for it

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 26, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

I don't own any but if I did go team red I would absolutely go M12. I think it's the sweet spot for size and power and a good ecosystem.

I wish my bosch 12v had half as many options as Milwaukee because I really like the bosch otherwise. It just really lacks choice.

I like my 12v Bosch stuff, especially a lot more now that big box stores carry it and I don't have to special order it online. Maybe it was pandemic related but nobody (Lowe's/home Depot) in the bay area 2020-21 carried any Bosch stuff besides drill bits and a single circular saw, now they all have a dedicated Bosch section

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Speaking from experience when I was 8 and figured out how to disable the pressure switch safety on a pneumatic one, those nails can and will ricochet right back at you, wear eye protection

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fknlo posted:

I have 4 to 5 cars

Thread title for every thread in AI

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cool; I needed a corded power shear for tomorrow but harbor freight was out of stock so through the magic of harbor freight coupons I now own a cordless power shear and cordless 4.5" grinder for a mid level battery system I didn't want to invest in

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In what price range

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have an innova 3320 which is like $35

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EVYGZA

And a hard case for it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078X7G8LS

I don't hate it. It kind of struggles with under 100mA @ 3.3 and 5v Arduino stuff, but is great for 12v stuff. I bought some different leads for it to clamp onto things. It's bounced around in the bottom of my portable tool bag for 5 years and is still kicking. The auto off thing to help preserve the battery works really well and is set to something sane like 10 min. It's got a flip out kick stand on the back that works ok. There's an elastic band I use to keep the leads organized but apparently it also doubles as a wrist strap

Display is big enough to read without needing reading glasses, but also not comically large

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 5, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've always wondered if you could just make your own with a used 42" sheet metal brake and then buy the drawer slides and drawer pulls. Really time consuming but sheet metal is basically free, sheet metal boxes are dead simple to construct and you can resell the brake for close to what you paid for it. Those massive snap-on tool boxes seem like a really efficient way to go multiple $10,000s in debt pretty much instantly. Drug dealer seems like an apt comparison

Superfastmatt has a really good round up of the current marketplace of tool boxes

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That reminds me my 3003 sheet aluminum came in last Friday I need to go slice my hands open on the edges pick it up, cut it down to size and take it home and learn how my generic branded rivet gun and clicos work

Yeah I have no desire to build my own. When we get the shop built I'll pick up two units from harbor freight like everyone else. It just blows my mind to see someone burn up $30k or whatever buying a top end snap-on mega chest

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would probably just reinforce your workbench where the vice mounts to the end. My last workbench, I ran several of the bolts through some 2x4 that triangulated back to the rear and that really stiffened things up.

Wing nuts are pretty speedy but can't really torque them down adequately. I'm not convinced a cam lock from a bicycle (even steel) would survive more than a year or so unless you're doing really delicate stuff. I guess give it a try? Looks like you can get a pair of steel (I wouldn't trust aluminum in this case) bicycle mountain bike skewers for $8-15/pair

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

With or without one way check valves

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gonna have to invest in one of those in about three years when our 6 month old fence stain stops looking sparkly new

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure which thread to put this. Probably going to order a 56x22 roller cabinet + top chest. I think I want a bunch of long shallow drawers

I went down the rabbit hole of watching most of adam savage's workshop focused videos where he's rebuilding/replacing various chests of drawers and I've kind of come to the conclusion that while he's very successful, it has nothing to do with his ability to organize his workshop in any usefully emulatably(sp?) way so I'm probably looking in the wrong place for inspiration

What do you use for storing fasteners? I have the old coffee can for random one-offs. Right now I'm going through a lot of 1/4 and 5/8 bolts and related hardware. And then I have a collection of smaller M1-5 stainless hardware for 3d printed stuff that lives in an organizer right now, plus an alarming number of zerks for some reason. Would be really nice to give everything a permanent home in the new garage

Is this the thing I'm looking for? I have the harbor freight version of this thing and I hate it. The largest drawers are just large enough to store some of my 4" abrasives, and I have a stack of 5" sandpaper that needs a permanent home.

And then I have a lot of stuff that comes in a "kit" with a carrying case and all the accessories inside. Do I... just explode these out into my roller cabinet, or put them on a shelf on the wall, well labeled?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 30, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah after additional contemplation I remembered these things, very similar but slightly larger, and I guess has just enough "tabs" on the sides that they act as drawers that can slide in and out; "Stanley Tools and Consumer Storage 014725R 25-Removable Compartment Professional Organizer". They also make a double-tall "Stanley DEEP PRO Organizer"

customer image from amazon: probably overkill but very nice

superfastmatt had good things to say as well. he calls them "bonus drawers"

timestamp is 6:07 if the timestamped link doesn't work for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96RADFjK-U&t=367s

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Catatron Prime posted:

Space is my big issue.\
I've also got an assortment of akro-mils drawers for all my electronics and soldering parts, which work great for that purpose with a labelmaker. Soldering equipment and tools at my desk are just an old kennedy machinist chest and a desk shelf I built awhile back. The Akro Mils stuff are a bit sturdier than the cheap bins, and their stackable drawers are a far sight sturdier than the hazard fraught version. I also really like these sorts of mobile bases for the stackable bins, but I don't have the floor space to justify one currently.

On a scale of "generic chinese brand on amazon" to "snap-on" where does Akro-Mils sit on the quality scale? I have this 12 drawer "storehouse" harbor freight one and i'll charitably call it a 4 out of 10 and if I'm going to buy another like this, would really like to get a better quality one

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/12-drawer-storage-organizer-99896.html

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I have a couple bags and boxes of nuts, washers, rivnuts I'd like to get out of one of my "primary drawers" on my workbench. I have two big bags of 5/8" washers because I lost the first bag under some other stuff in a drawer.

Finally finished unpacking all my "project" stuff I've been hauling around for years and years moving from place to place and now that I have a secure garage + proper shed would like to get it all out where I can get at it, rather than digging around in the bottom of a five year old moving box. Especially all the arduino and breadboard stuff. So far I've found three voltmeter and two complete soldering iron sets and I think there's more yet in another box. So much random crap I've bought over and over and in low quality because I couldn't find it and knew "my good one" was lurking in another box.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gridfinity looks cool I might try that for a drawer of very specific stuff but would take my very lightly modified ender 3 about a year of continuous printing to kit out the whole garage

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's been a while since I watched it but (of course) project farm did a video on this, of interest is he tested them new out of the box, but also he did 1000 cycles on them and then tested them again and the precision was still good but accuracy had drifted by a measurable amount for the larger ones. Something like 5-18 ft lbs across ~20 devices. Of interest while snap-on was the second or third most accurate out of the box, after 1000 cycles it was accurate to like 3 ft lbs

That said next time I need to buy one I'll just buy the harbor freight second to worst model

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have both a corded and cordless* bauer they've been fine for DIY home use, I mostly use it for cut off for 1/2" square tubing, and the corded for grinding/flap disc/extended use

*I needed a set of power tin snips and they only had the cordless model and they had a "get a tool and battery get a second tool free" deal so that's how I ended up with a cordless grinder

The Bauer corded grinder has a trigger pseudo pistol grip which I really like as it gets your hands away from the spinning death, and arguably gives you better overall control. I'm not a fan of the thumb switch feels janky and excessively dangerous after using the pistol grip. The pistol grip model is also 8 amps instead of the old 7 amp model and I'm sure that extra 1 amp is important periodically

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-amp-4-12-in-trigger-grip-angle-grinder-64742.html

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vevor sells a pneumatic crimper for $200 new that does replaceable dies. It looks like it's supposed to be a benchtop device but it's got a sturdy carry handle on top? I know nothing about this beyond what's in the ad though.

https://m.vevor.com/pneumatic-crimp...-p_010864671114

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would be tempted to save money and jack it up in stages

His Divine Shadow posted:

Bought a cheap set of hammers and dollies, wasn't finished very nicely so I polished them up myself. Will have to see how it stands up to actual usage, the dollies look like they might be cast iron. There's the original surface on another dolly too for comparison.

I looked at these as well, product reviews look like they're abysmal quality and about half the hardness expected for a set. Any update?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

About three months apart I bought a $1/ft Continental hose and then later for the front yard I bought a cheapie flexzilla. Both are... Fine, I guess? The Continental I think is a quarter step down from being rated for automotive radiator use and despite coming coiled about 12" in diameter refuses to coil much smaller than about 2.5'

The flexzilla gets banged around on the concrete pavers in my back yard by my toddler and her 5 year old cousin on an almost weekly basis and doesn't leak. I've had both now for almost 2 years

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a dedicated harbor freight thread yet or what.

In addition to releasing what look like snap-on's most popular pliers (with lifetime guarantee?) I guess they just released some new knipex twin grip clone pliers, which I guess are a push button slip grip thing. For $20? Not bad?

https://toolguyd.com/harbor-freight-pliers-knipex-twingrip/

Big step up from my thousand year old pair of Stanley pliers with rounded over teeth, at least. For home use.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

It's like the harbor freight advice: if you need a tool once buy it there. If you use it enough to break it ans still need it buy a better one because you have proven your use case.

I've had good luck with this. For truly single use tools I'll get the central machinery version. If I'm gonna use it a couple times a year I'll go Bauer

It's always worth investing in a good quality drill. You should just be issued a 3/8 Milwaukee or similar corded drill along with your high school diploma

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Check out Andrew Camarata on youtube.

This is just a good suggestion in general

He bought like, 20 acres in some rural... Mid Atlantic State? Western PA? WV? On the side of a rocky hill and then has had a demolition crew blow up what looks like a half acre of rock at a time (in drone slow motion) and then cleans it all up with a massive rusty old caterpillar D11 or D15 I forget

I'm not big in to construction videos but he makes some pretty great content

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

boxen posted:

Is there such a thing as a quality 2-prong polarized extension cord?

I bought Ridgeline a few months ago, and it has a max 400W outlet in the bed. It would be handy for blowing up air mattresses for camping and small stuff like that, but to get the most use out of it I'd need an extension cord. I'm only looking for something around 10-15 feet, but all of the 2-prong cords I find are the cheaper indoor ones, and I really like my good Flexilla cords.

This has been beat to death but I'm still very skeptical about deactivating safety features on certified electrical equipment. Not quite Widowmaker cable but, yeah. Eventually someone is going to pull that out of your car use that in the garage or whatever.

Why does your non grounded cable need to be outdoor certified? I would drop that requirement before modifying safety features of a grounded cable

I'm looking at a 8' "coordinate 8' 3 outlet polarized extension cord" for $6.99 on targets website, no ground issue. Two prong. I searched for "lamp extension cord" with lots of results. I'm sure a 10 and 12' versions exist that meet your needs.

The outlet has max 400w that's about 3.33 amps @ 120v, the cord I found is rated for 13 amps.

Maybe you could snip the tip, then pour epoxy in the female side to permanently disable it as a fake grounded cable

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 26, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For the lazy

quote:

SOOW stands for: S = Service Cord (600 Volts) OO = Oil Resistant both inside insulation and outside jacket. W = CSA designation for weather/water resistance.

The J stands for "Junior" meaning junior voltage, 300 instead of 600v

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just to be pedantic, but for an extension cable permanently stored in a gas powered vehicle, it's probably not overkill, SJOOW is probably the exactly correct cable/spec for the job. SOOW would merely be slight overkill.

If there's an option for a kevlar braided sleeve for added abrasion resistance, that would be overkill :black101::hf::ese:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At the doctor's office waiting room killing time and wife just got into the online shopping site temu. She just ordered a 50-75mm (2-3") outside micrometer for me for $14 :v:

Should go nicely with my Amazon grade 0-1" and 1-2" outside micrometers for casual use. So far everything has measured exactly to spec but for half the price of a miyumoto I'm not expecting them to stay that way for very long

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have a mix of 2nd and third oldest Google mesh stuff and I've never had to think about it. The cable Internet comes into the middle of the house which serves most of the house, and then there's a mesh point over the garage/driveway at the front left of the house, and a second mesh point at the back of the house on the opposite side in the back right. It's pretty good coverage. Going out to the fence line it starts to get a little sketchy, but that's plenty.

I'll probably wire hard lines for those end points, some day. Coverage is a lot better when they're hard wired instead of wireless mesh

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In California electricity prices are about 20-40% higher during peak hours, from 4-9pm, you'd save more money running it from 8-10am

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gig-E is just barely tolerable for loading games off a network attached storage device/home server. Or it was when I was doing it with steam games in 2015. I bet 10 gigabit is probably pretty reasonable but I haven't taken the plunge yet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a Synology 4 disk NAS I bought in 2017 and it... Just loving Works? I've never had an attachment to technology but I really love how effortless it is. It's the storage equivalent of a very sturdy toaster. If Milwaukee sold a toaster. That also served files.

When (if?) it finally dies, I'll buy a replacement that either has 10gbe, or has an expansion slot to upgrade it

2017 was also the last year to not have dual M2 slots for caching read/write which is another major bummer. Synology has some kind of caching magic that keeps your most commonly used files (like video games) on the M.2 ready to go

Anyways that's the big hurdle for me. That, and I was living in tiny cramped urban apartments with no room for a full size desktop, but that's all changed now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Upgraded my pliers collection. For the last 20 years I've been using walmart grade junk I would pick up to repair my car in an emergency, selecting for price over quality; and I guess at one point I bought the classic "3 stanley branded pliers for $25" kit which are not absolute junkbut today the teeth are all rounded over and barely useful. I bought a pair of Icon pliers and realized how much phenomenally better they were than anything else I had (Besides the pair of vise-grip brand vise-grips)

Figured if I was happy with the harbor freight knock-off of knipex, I might as well spend the extra $10-15 per pair for the name brand stuff since people seem to universally love them. For the needle nose and "high leverage" I went with the 1000v rated handle because, well, why not, it's a small premium and those are the two I'm most likely to use in a home wiring project (after I've turned off power at the breaker and validated with AC probe).

Picked up XS versions of the pliers wrench and cobra because they were like $20 ea, but mostly because tiny tools are amusing, and perhaps maybe someday useful.

Temu 50-75mm outside micrometer is accurate to 0.01mm which I guess is like, 0.04". The gauge block rod is not flat on both sides. The Digital caliper has molded plastic jaws and is unreliably accurate to 0.1mm, which seems about right.

Really happy with the knipex stuff though, everything is perfect, at least out of the box, and hopefully ought to last a lifetime of DIY stuff

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MrAmazing posted:

Where did you find a pair for $20? I’m insanely jealous….

Sometimes it's better assuming what you paid, than checking the invoice :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Harbor freight just released a combo Icon 3/8" SAE + Metric 54 pc set for $149, includes the foam tool chest inserts and everything

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-sae-and-metric-modular-general-service-socket-set-54-piece-70469.html

That's probably my next big buy; finally replace the 25pc craftsman "travel" set I've been lugging around since I was 18 in the plastic clamshell

Edit: Milwaukee has a billion after market blah blah they make great tools (or so I've heard) just make sure you have at least a 5ah battery for any cordless heavy duty impact wrench stuff. Those baby 2ah batteries aren't poo poo for impact duty

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 23, 2024