Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My dad has a harbor freight drill press from the mid 1970's that still runs fine.

Their 12 ton press is a decent buy as well, if a little flimsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I've no real need, but can anyone tell me where I can get some good slugging wrenches? I used one years ago to take an enormous(6" nut)shackel off and wanted my own ever since.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Splizwarf posted:

How much of AI is in the greater DC area? Sheesh. We gotta hang out.

I am in the Dc area, but had no idea there were more.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am looking at getting my dad a Jaw Horse for xmas. He is always building something out of wood. He is also 85 but still pretty spry. Is the Jaw Horse junk or a pretty useful thing?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Jared592 posted:

Recently helped a buddy switch on his winter wheels/tires and was reminded of the one thing those crappy included car jacks have over our floor jacks; they won't gnarl up your pinch weld jack points. We got his wheels changed over without doing any damage, but I went ahead and made a hockey puck pinch weld protector for future use.

+

+

=

Puck was $2 from Dick's.

I did that with a scrap 2x4 chunk, then forgot it was there for a few days of driving. It held fast.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have some small screw drivers from Compcenter. They are made in Germany and the brand is Filo. They are fantastic quality and very precise. Maybe $20 for a set of 5.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

sharkytm posted:

Yup. I've got one centrally located in my garage, ceiling mounted. Its awesome!

For a second I thought you were referring to the pole saw. I was imagining some zombie horror garage you must have.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

plscks posted:

The shop really should buy them, but my old service manager was a bum and only got us things that were mandatory for him to get us. And I was oiling them, but not nearly at the frequency that I should have been, I speculate that that caused the malfunctions, but hopefully the inline oiler will solve that problem with my latest one. I also don't press on it at all, that tends to deform the frames and that's no good if I find a hole and we have to warranty a frame, if they see that sort of abuse and damage then we get stuck buying one and I most probably lose my job.

I have been thinking about going the IR route, I have not been disappointed with IR ever in the past, so I really don't see the downside, I'll just have to save for a few weeks and make the jump.

On that note does anyone actually have any experience with the IR needle scalers? I remember seeing an automotive one that looks exactly like the one I've got, and an industrial one that might have had some composite parts or something?

Maybe late but when I worked at sea every ship seemed to use IR needle guns. Crap tools can't be exchanged for months so the cream rises quick.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

I needed a vacuum gauge to troubleshoot the egr system on my truck. I could not find a local one for sale and did not want to pay amazon and wait. I have this old diff pressure gauge off an aircraft (bought for $10 at the Pima Air Museum, worth a trip if you are in Tucson) so I fabricated a connector and used some hardware store tubing. Worked pretty well and confirmed what I needed to know.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have one of those 3000 lb HF floor jacks and it still lifts ok, but when I have a good load on it, and want to ease it down to the floor, the release screw/handle tends to get sticky and release all at once. Cue my lifted vehicle dropping down faster than I like and making me afraid. Is there a fix for this of some sort? Should I back out the screw, lube it up and put some new fluid in the reservoir, or should I just pont up the $70 for a new one. FWIW, this one is about 5 years old.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Proto maybe? Navy uses em on their ships.

Not that much cheaper though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
How do the skillets do with a good sand blasting? This is assuming they are in need of it of course.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have some plastic socket tree from home depot. Seems good enough to hold stuff for grabbing the whole lot out of the drawer.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Barely related to the thread, but has anyone seen these Yeti coolers?
Is it a joke? Who pays $350-$750 for a cooler? What does it do that makes worth as much as 10 igloos?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Slight derail: JH Williams hand tools.

No better than HF, or worth the premium but still 1/3 the cost of Snap On? Just looking to upgrade a few key things like a few ratchets and sockets I use often and wondering if they might be a decent compromise.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YREJRW/ref=pe_256750_146013440_em_1p_1_ti

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I just finished "Poorly Made in China". I think it was a goon in this thread who mentioned it, but I now feel a lot less enthused about HF hand tools after reading. It seems that the variable quality we all comment on is likely the factory seeing what they can slip past the vendor. Anyway, a good but depressing read.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Think my favorite phrase from the book was when an importer "knocks up the factory"
By having them sit on stock that was not ordered.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

mod sassinator posted:

Nice! Yeah when Radioshack was shutting down a bunch of stores earlier this year some people were able to buy their big drawer units for super cheap. Would have been awesome to get some of those for small parts storage.

The radioshack near me wanted a fortune for their old storage bins. They were decent, but the price was ridiculous.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Pictures to follow, but I just found a $20 power hacksaw. Brand is Keller, motor turns and it seems to cycle as designed. It is on a homemade cart as it weighs about 200 lbs. Is it worth anything? I dont have any need, but at $20 why not? It looks circa 1950s to 1970s. Lots of cast iron.

Edit. It's a keller 2B.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 27, 2015

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Commodore_64 posted:

I love it and I am jealous forever. It is roughly like a horizontal bandsaw but much slower. Set up right I hear it has some certain advantages. Find me a metal shaper next!

Here it is in action.
https://youtu.be/fkWAWJPfW4s

It needs some adjustment on the ratcheting pawl and it looks like it would benefit from some lube. The mass of the mechanism is shaking my truck on the suspension.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My only advantage is the thing was dirt cheap. It is an OSHA nightmare with the open belt and power switch between the belt and blade. I would venture that the blade it the least dangerous part of the thing.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
It kind of reminds me of the adjustable parts on a ship's compass on the binnacle. I think they are called quadrantal spheres, but your pic has multiple sizes.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
In the interests of consolidating batteries: I have a 18v Snap On 1/2" cordless impact from maybe 2006 or so, it works fine and all. I am debating selling it and getting a newer Milwaukee 1/2 impact wrench. Is this a dumb idea or not? I am not sure how to weigh higher specs on the Milwaukee vs Snap on quality.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I need to know how much this changes life expectancy in cold countries.
http://imgur.com/gallery/f6FwLzv

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I've got a 1/2" drive, Snap On 18v Nicad impact wrench. I am debating trying to sell it and buy the 1/2" 18V Li-ion Milwaukee version. Is this a step in the right direction or worth the bump in specs from the Snap On version? I already have milwaukee 18v tools and having a special snap on tool is annoying.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Thanks for the comments. I love the snap on, I just hate that the battery is kinda crappy compared to modern tech. I guess a li-ion battery might be a good compromise if that is an option. Then a new charger too though...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The word is Ozone inside a house is potentially toxic and to be avoided.
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Old Android phone rigged to take a geotagged pic and text it to you if the lid is opened?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Wow, lawnmower is hot. Myth busted.

Have you tried it on electrical or HVAC stuff? Flir 1 or Seek?

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 27, 2016

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Having just used a mityvac, yeah it works, but with a lot of caveats. It tends to draw air into the hose from the bleeder nipple threads unless you grease them prior.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Can anyone comment on this ratchet? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=desktop

Looking for a longer ratchet as my 18" HF breaker bar works, but I lust after some means to rapidly remove the harder stuff my Impact will not fit on.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Thanks for the advice on the ratchet. I'll look at the non flex head ones.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Red Wings are pretty boss, at least they were when I was working on ships in the late oughts. Find a store, some crusty guy will fit you and they last a good while.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Is there a decent sine wave inverter, around 1000w that is reasonably priced and not garbage?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have a t band clamp tool and a bunch of clamps. I bought it to refurbish my CV axle off my old wrx. If you are near DC you are welcome to borrow it.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Fold some coat hanger into a ring with a point perpendicular to the ring. Set the ring in the oil with the point up, inside the inverted filter. Let drain.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
There is a joke here somewhere, but I am not a clever man.

Edit: it's real.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

meatpimp posted:

Also in meatpimp's positive experience file is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 6 1/2" circular saw. Great size for demo work. I've cut up multiple door frames, soffits, and even a 1960s console radio and that thing just buzzes right through stuff. So much faster and easier than a sawzall for thicker wood. The only issue I've had is that I'll run through a 5.0 Red battery in about 25-30 minutes, but by then my arm is tired anyway.

I was worried about the smaller blade, but even cutting through 2x12 it's got enough power to get through.

Just wanted to second this. It is my go to circular saw for most stuff.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Harbor freight is doing their part. Sorry for the Reddit link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Skookum/comments/fnbtlr/impressive_indeed_good_for_you_hft/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I always just keep an old petzl headlight in my tool bag. Multiple brightness, cheap, useful all over.