Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I felt like using the arpeggiator in logic

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54754012bedc4334/

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Halo posted:

Reason is pretty rear end backwards as far as DAWs goes. It's closer to FL, being that it's mostly MIDI based, although now that FL has audio multi-tracking, Reason is basically just a softsynth suite with MIDI sequencing built in. Not that you didn't know any of this, just stating it for posterity.

You'd get a lot more using a multi-track wave based type of DAW, imo. It's more practical in the long run.

The thing that always killed me was like in the old Logic for PC... setting up the 'environment' before even getting a chance to drop in any audio, or do any real recording.

Which logic was that? 5 had didnt have that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Three Red Lights posted:

Sort of a stupid question but I remember seeing a video of some guy working on a DAW a little while back, he was doing some eq'ing and he did it by moving the mouse and "carving" the eq, like if you wanted a mid boost you would just sweep the mouse in an arc and the lows and highs would be cut off where the mouse moved.

What program was it? I have no intention of changing from ableton any time soon but I remember seeing that and thinking "oh man that is so loving sweet".

Reaper.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Votlook posted:

So I made this crappy happy acid/drum'n'bass thing in FL, check it out if you want to: http://www.sendspace.com/file/otj2kt

All the sounds you're using in this are pretty below par but the drums are the worst. I thought they were like a little intro drum part, and then some slamming drums were going to break in playing the same beat but its just that over and over. Also you've programmed them pretty badly too, there is no interest at all.

Get some decent synth patches, get a fat and catchy bassline on the go and get your drums sounding exciting and pumping.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I start getting gay with reaktor 5 and a baby popped out

The mix is bad its just an idea at the moment.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Altoidss posted:

Hey guys, I have a dilemma.

I've been messing around on my friends' computers a lot, and producing tracks. Here's the problem:

I love Logic's plugins (including both synths and effects) but I haven't gotten used to its interface. I feel much better working with Ableton's interface, but none of Ableton's plugins have inspired me at all. What should I do? I guess the plugins are irreplaceable, so should I just work with Logic until I get the interface? It can't be that bad.

I think you should give logics a try and get used to it. I know everyone here loves ableton, and I'd agree that for PC its probably the best daw with the best interface, but logic 8 is better if you're on a mac. If you're talking about a lower version than logic 8 though I would say go with kai was takens suggestion and rewire it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

cubicle gangster posted:

I love ableton, but I've also spent about £600 on synths. It would be poo poo without these and I would have serious trouble making the quality I get from free plugins - I didnt even get any synths with ableton.

If you can factor that into your budget, i'd go to ableton. If you cant, go logic (I dont know how much it is...)

Logic Studio is £300 from the apple store.

Kai what parts of Ableton do you like over Logic 8 by the way?

Stux fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 16, 2009

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Kai was taken posted:

Last time I checked, you could get Logic for like $150 if you were a student, but I was calling for a University seat so that might be just for the institution itself.

Yeah you get a big discount if you're ordering from inside certain campuses. Also there is a smaller discount for just being in education but you need to send proof (digital photo of my id emailed was enough)

quote:

Really, just the interface.

And not like OMG PRETTY, but I like how it's so clean, how everything is always visible (like your device chains and instruments). I like that it's all contained within one window, instead of spread out over multiple windows overlapping each other.

Logic is all one window as well though :crossarms:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Mannie Fresh posted:

I'm one of the biggest logic fanboys you'll meet and even I can't admit this. I cycle through windows like crazy.

Also, something I've been playing around with on my day off in Logic, I don't have a specific genre I just know it's in Em at 118 BPM...

Why bro, you dont even need to bring the mixer up anymore, its all there in the arrange page.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
help i have no idea what to do with this track what am i doing aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

A MIRACLE posted:

OK looks like I make it with an LFO assigned to a certain rate, that governs another cutoff parameter? I'm not really sure how this works but it sounds pretty close.. so I can have two different cutoffs?

LFO assigned to cutoff, automate the LFO rate for different speeds. Usually use a second bass that is basically almost all sub to get that fat low end as well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I did a remix of the labyrinth zone music from sonic 1 for the genesis, what do you guys think? :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
trying to use some more organic or something drums due to a few comments ive gotten recently, how do these sound? i mean you can obviously tell its not being played live or anything but are they ok?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Harminoff posted:

Is there any videos on how to make some simple beats in ableton? Like simple hip hop beats? I've watched some videos on youtube, but they seem to all focus on parts of ableton.

I just want a beginners video to start, with creating a simple drum and bass line to work with.

I'm completely knew at ableton and don't know where to jump in.

The manual?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Try ASIO4ALL.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
If your track looks like that its going to have next to no dynamics and probably sound like rear end hth.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

oredun posted:

so danger sounds like rear end? or most any electronic song?

Yes Danger does sound like rear end. Oh also, just for comparison, this is a track from squarepushers latest EP that was released earlier this year

In conclusion gently caress you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya, he doesn't make hard music anymore. He's made 30-something graphic designer music for the last like 6 years on WARP RECORDS, of course its not gonna have a gnarly wavesform.

Not trying to defend Danger (who's not popular anywhere but on SA i don't get why he gets name dropped all the time), far from it.

This is that track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX-EW53XVkM&fmt=18

Anyway even his stuff like Go Plastic or DYKS or w/e isn't overcompressed to hell. Neither is stuff off of Hard Normal or anything. Like none of his stuff is. My point here is quake and quake and is a human being.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya, I don't know what I was saying cuz squarepusher always had had really clean, well defined production even on his jungle stuff. But I think talking about any like aphex or squarepusher or those kinda dudes isn't gonna really elucidate that much about electronic music in general cuz those dudes are doing their own thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7hzN-I0Xjo

well if its a better comparison even chainsaw calligraphy by 16bit is less compressed than both quake and quake and and danger :smug:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

the wizards beard posted:

Music made for nerds to sit down and listen to at home while they smoke up is pretty different to stuff that tries to squeeze as much volume out of a nightclub PA as possible.

Level of compression is an awful metric for quality of music anyway

16bit is a dubstep artist...

edit: also if you havnt been to a squarepusher/aphex/whoever gig you shouldnt post on a music forum.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

oredun posted:

this was basically my point, despite how terribly i worded it.

because youve seen a certain band or artist youre so much smarter and more sophisticated than everyone else?...so i guess 99% of everyone here should leave so you dont have to deal with their ignorance? seriously man, listen to yourself thats plain ignorant.

look man just because you're wrong and listen to a poo poo artist who over compresses his tracks doesn't mean you need to be a gay baby about it. and i wouldnt really say name dropping well known electronica artists like aphex twin or squarepusher is me trying to be smarter or more sophisticated, it was pretty obvious i was just pointing out that people can and do go out to gigs etc where that type of music is played. mayhaps one should stop being a homosexual child goon sire?!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I could've said IDM if I wanted to really be a dick :iamafag:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

oredun posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about? my point was that you cant judge a song on what it looks like in a wav editor, and most electronic songs that are recorded and meant to be played loudly, look exactly like a squashed square in a wav editor. i dont give a gently caress about aphx or squarepusher that poo poo is boring sometimes and what does them playing shows have anything to do with compression?

your post is about the gooniest ive read in ML so great job on that. dont get to bent out of a shape when someone disagrees with you on the INTERNETS!

but they are poo poo that is meant to be played loudly and is at huge open air festivals and their poo poo isnt close to squashed and sounds excellent on record and live so...? only bad producers create stuff like the pictures quake and quake and posted, overcompressed and devoid of dynamics. also i wasnt judging the song on just that, i was judging it on the fact he posted danger as someone i guess he likes who makes overcompressed crap and is terrible at life and also music irl and should probably kill heself an then trying to justify the bad producing on he own track.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Altoidss posted:

Quick derail from the slapfight but does anyone have any tips for beatmatching/timestretching samples and a capellas in Logic it's very frustrating

If I don't know the BPM of the sample in advance usually by the time I get it in time it's been warped enough to sound like poo poo

Cut a 4 bar loop from the sample and then have this section highlighted, then loop 4 bars in logic, doesnt matter which bpm. Then hit cmd+t and click globally. You have now changed logics BPM to that of the sample.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Apparently someone hasnt heard of mainstage :smug:

Also you dont really need live for something that simple. I recently did a performance using logic pro with reaktor rewired in with only a korg nanokontrol and the inbuilt midi keyboard on logic. You could do similar things in any DAW you want.

edit: I realise I made that sound really complicated...

Stux fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 15, 2009

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

oredun posted:

i like how something that "simple" requires logic pro AND reactor, instead of just one (possibly)free program. if we're going for ease of use and cost im pretty sure live dominates in those areas.

i only used reaktor because i needed vectory, otherwise it would be easily done with just logic, which is cheaper than live and also comes with mainstage which is a very good live tool, i prefer it to live and i think NIN use it as well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Been working on a new dubstep track, its pretty bare at the moment though:

Thoughts?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

JGTheSpy posted:

Someone should tell that to everyone else who makes dubstep so that they can stop making bland rear end poo poo.

maybe you should listen to some good dubstep and shut the gently caress up idk.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

JGTheSpy posted:

I actually follow the dubstep thread because I want to like it because it gives the internet such a raging hard on right now. I'm still not convinced that good dubstep exists outside of a few flukes.

maybe you just have a bad taste in music then i guess sorry.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
brostep. needs mixing properly like heck. and probs less cliche samples :pcgaming:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Yoozer posted:

Ableton Live LE. Nothing comes for completely free unless you're willing to get your hands dirty with something like Jeskola Buzz or something.

Or you can just use reaper.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

massive spider posted:

I'm stuck, I have no idea whether to stick with Logic or give the gently caress up and go for Ableton/Reason/Maschine. Logics workflow is just really awkward to me and I'm not sure the best for writing in.

Whats everyone here producing with?

I might be biased as I've been using it for 10 years now, but logic is the best DAW on the market imo (def biased). What difficulty are you having with the workflow/writing side of it? Ableton is good but I just find logic has a fuckton more usability, its built in synths are great, its built in plugins are utterly incredible and it strikes a great balance between vst/au soft synth stuff and sampling/recording. Which version are you on? I have both 9 and X installed, but stick with 9 for synth based stuff still as a lot of my plugins aren't compatible yet. X has some great audio editing additions though so I've been using that for recording.

I use logic (obviously) with reaktor routed in as an AU for some of its weird synth/effects sometimes.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on using a super recognizable sample and having it not dominate the song?

Not dominate as in sit it in the mix properly? Or adding effects so it still sounds nice but isn't instantly over the top recognisable in that it draws attention away from everything else? Editing the sample is a good way, chop up the bits you want and leave some space between them so its not always present. If you're doing some downtempo kind of stuff or dubby/garagey style thing then you can always go for the burial technique and pitch shift/time stretch it to gently caress. Reverb, delay etc can help it sit in the mix better if thats the issue.

Other content, a track I made the other day. The mix is low as this is just my raw bounce and I leave (probably too much) overhead for later. Thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/s-t-u-x/unbound

Stux fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

wayfinder posted:

I've got a new release out on beatport today: https://pro.beatport.com/release/valparaiso-ep/1708451

Made with Live and mostly Massive for the synthwork.

awesome as usual

working thru some old projects:

https://soundcloud.com/s-t-u-x/ghost

• Locked thread